FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: P.J.GRADY Lift Piston feedback wanted

My VIN:    5875

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Ok that's it for the first batch of our new gas springs but if you don't mind waiting a week or two for delivery we will honor the sale price through Saturday January 31st. After that the normal price will be $138.95. Any orders recieved after today will be filled when the next order arrives in a couple weeks.
    Thank you for making the sale a success and I hope everyone is happy with them. So far so good.
    Rob Grady
    Placed my order today (for delivery to Florida). Will getting them to Florida before March 15th be an issue? That's when my folks leave for Canada. Can't wait to try them out!
    Eric
    1981/Grey/Manual/Grooved Hood/Martin Lowering Springs/SPEC I Exhaust/Ice Cold R134 AC

Ontario Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plates
    www.YOMplates.ca

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Ordered a set last night. Thanks Rob.
    Kirk

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Yes but I was jambed up today. I'll have Linda get you a price tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    Hi Rob, did you received my PM?
    Thanks

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

All right, thanks I'll wait

My VIN:    4245

Club(s):   (DMA)

Last day, can a guy still get the price? Take my money please.

Yes this is the laaaaast day so anyone that wants the $100- price has to pull the trigger by 12PM tonight or it will cost a bit more later but IMHO still will be the best gas springs available currently at any price.

I want to thank everyone who placed an order and hope to get as much feedback as possible as they all (hopefully) eventually get installed. Due to the gas charge's and seal design used the shelf life should be very good but I'm still hoping everyone installs their's ASAP.

Remember please all orders from last Friday on won't get shipped for a couple weeks so please be patient till the next batch arrives...thanks again.
    Rob Grady

Quote Originally Posted by PB Co View Post
    Last day, can a guy still get the price? Take my money please.

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

I installed my door lift pistons a bit ago. They work a Lot better than the DMC ones that were installed almost 2 years ago.
    Todays weather was in the middle 60's so, I want to see what they do when we get back in the 20's - 40's this coming week...
    Tomorrow I'll install the louver and trunk sets.

It's Great not having to push my door to the top.
    Thanks Rob!

George
    Last edited by refugeefromcalif; 02-14-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    4245

Club(s):   (DMA)

Missed it. I really just need the door struts. Rob, I'll catch up with you later maybe at a DMA event when the weather is warmer.

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

I installed my new hood lift pistons a few minutes ago and was suprised to see the label on my old ones.

OldHoodLiftPiston01.jpg

Rob, Have you worked on my car in the past? What little I know about it's past, (before Tony at DMCFlorida bought it), is that it was in the New Jersey area for a few years.

I hate to admit it but, my almost 13 year old pistons work better then the new ones.
    My hood latch Does need adjusted because opening the trunk is a two handed affair.

The difference between pistons is;
    Old pistons, I have to pull the trunk up a inch or so and the pistons take over. But, I have to help it the last inch or so for fully open.
    New pistons, I have to open the trunk between 30°-35°. before they finish the job and fully open the trunk.

I've been Very Happy with the my doors since I installed the new pistons on them.
    Next up is the louver pistons.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Hi George,

Thank you for providing your honest opinions as I appreciate all feedback both good and less so as well.
    Actually your original pistons are about 9 years old as the first build # on the label is the year built not the last as that's SOP in Europe.

I would need your VIN to see if the car was serviced here so you could PM me that if you're really interested. It could be that they were strictly a mail order customer but it would be easy to to find out.

I checked a car in the shop and it just happened to have hood pistons on it from the same supplier that are a year newer (2008) and they behave very differently! They need help all the way up and after 1/2 way if you let go they hold that postion binding slightly. Once up they stay up but are rather weak. I never really cared for that supplier but it's strange how your old ones are so different from these. Maybe you got the turbo model! Yours are doing pretty well for 8 to 9 year old pistons but maybe the southern climate has helped a bit with that.

I swapped out to my new ones and as I paid attention to when the piston takes hold on their own I must agree that you are correct but once they engage they are strong and controlled. I didn't notice this initially and can look into a revision on the opening engagement if the design allows it.

Honestly you are the first person to notice this and I'm not sure it's really an issue but I will pursue the matter with my manufacturer to see what they have to say about it. if it can be revised with no drawbacks it could be changed on the next batch. IMHO it's not really a problem...however things can always stand improving.

Using your/that criteria for gas spring happiness I think you'll be OK with the sunshade pistons as they take over after about 10" or so of travel.
    BTW why drag out the install as it only takes a few minutes to swap out a set of hood or sunshade pistons? Please advise ASAP.

I really appreciate the feedback as it's the fastest way for me to incorporate improvements in the parts I have made. Please keep it coming if you want the best future products possible. I'm on a mission from who? No actually I just like making things the best they can be. Thanks again.
    Rob Grady

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    I installed my new hood lift pistons a few minutes ago and was suprised to see the label on my old ones.

OldHoodLiftPiston01.jpg

Rob, Have you worked on my car in the past? What little I know about it's past, (before Tony at DMCFlorida bought it), is that it was in the New Jersey area for a few years.

I hate to admit it but, my almost 13 year old pistons work better then the new ones. :confused:
    My hood latch Does need adjusted because opening the trunk is a two handed affair.

The difference between pistons is;
    Old pistons, I have to pull the trunk up a inch or so and the pistons take over. But, I have to help it the last inch or so for fully open.
    New pistons, I have to open the trunk between 30°-35°. before they finish the job and fully open the trunk.

I've been Very Happy with the my doors since I installed the new pistons on them. :)
    Next up is the louver pistons.

George

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast