FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: iPhone bracket (prototype)

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Sorry for the off subject question...
    is that iPhone jack connected to a power outlet or with the Alpine system for mp3 music?
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    Sorry for the off subject question...
    is that iPhone jack connected to a power outlet or with the Alpine system for mp3 music?
    It is connected to the iPod connector of the Alpine Head unit, using a 30-pin to lightning adapter (the white cable you see).
    Rob van der Veer

My mods? DeClock, keyless entry, Alpine audio setup, and much more.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

A suggestion...

You could make up just that base plate that attaches to the car, but modify it so that it is compatible with the standard ProClip line of device holders. www.proclipusa.com

These guys make great products - you first select a base adapter that is custom suited to your car (make/model/year). These bases all have a uniform interface to the second half - a holder for your specific phone.

Its a great business model IMO because the products are tailored so well and built nicely - that once you are in - you are in. In 2 years you get a new phone so you replace the holder, then a year later you trade in the car but you have a holder so you get a new base for the new car, and so on.

Any given vehicle may have several base designs - like console mount, dash mount, etc. and any given phone may have multiple options - no charging port, port with USB cable, port with lighter adapter, port with hardwire connection.

There are also generic adjustable holders (if you use a rare phone or an otterbox or?) and generic bases.

They do not however make a base tailored to the Delorean. If you made a base plate that was compatible with their holders - everybody would win. I have considered making a proclip compatible base myself - I was thinking of adding a steel plate inside the center console and use neodymium magnets on the base so it just pulls off (with a good tug) when you want to look stock.

They are not cheap - but they are excellent products. I consider them a safety feature, so now we have them in all the daily drivers at home.

Great thinking, TTait.

I'm pretty sure i'll get sued if i start making and selling my own baseplates based on their system. Or am i being paranoid? Perhaps if i contact them beforehand, saying i got this design for a small audience, they might cooperate.
    Rob van der Veer

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Their interface between the base and the phone cradle is as simple as a flat plate with 4 holes drilled in it - not something you could cover in a patent. Moreover - If you find 50 owners around the world that want your base plate - Proclip is going to sell all of those folks phone holders - probably every 2 years for the rest of their lives - I'd think they would be fine with it.

Yeah, you are right...

To be honest though, i'm not very charmed with the 4-screws baseplate. Looks kinda bulky to me.
    Rob van der Veer

Quote Originally Posted by robvanderveer View Post
    Yeah, you are right...

To be honest though, i'm not very charmed with the 4-screws baseplate. Looks kinda bulky to me.
    It's considerably smaller than the phone, so you don't see if from your seat. I think it is partially due to the size of the tilt/swivel mechanism, and the fact that those are designed to hold even a large phone securely without having to be clamped down tight. You can swivel or change the angle on the phone at any time without unlocking, but it does not droop or sag.

It's never bothered me - but what do I know about style? My phone is Android...

My VIN:    10694

P1070469.jpg
    This was a mod I did a few years back. (Many years I guess, since this is an early model iPhone!)
    It charges and connects to the stereo for music. I exchanged my solid shifter console for a clock console since it would already have a hole.

My VIN:    07000

I like Oliver's idea. I have a solid console too, but would like to exchange with someone for a clock console to do this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2