FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Amount of CCA Needed - Best Car Battery for Delorean

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Amount of CCA Needed - Best Car Battery for Delorean

I'm thinking my car battery my be a bit underpowered for my car. With the cold (40-50 degrees ) weather here in Texas the car doesn't seem to want to start easily so I am trying to track down the issue(s). I have a Sears Diehard that is only one year old. The CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is 770 IIRC. I can't find anything on the forum what the minimum CCA should be. What should it be? And what battery are most recommending? I'm seeing Interstate and Optima mentioned the most.

Shannon
    Shannon

1,000 CA 800 CCA- See my comment on your original post. For starting I really like the Optima Red Top (34/78 size).
    Last edited by hmcelraft; 01-01-2015 at 12:59 PM.

My VIN:    03572

I've never had starting issues with all the cars I've owned with normal "cheap' batteries. Even at temps below 0 deg. F as long as your engine does not have problems they start right up. If your not starting at 40 degrees with a one year old battery my guess is you have other problems.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I've never had starting issues with all the cars I've owned with normal "cheap' batteries. Even at temps below 0 deg. F as long as your engine does not have problems they start right up. If your not starting at 40 degrees with a one year old battery my guess is you have other problems.

I agree, you do not need something expensive or exotic. I have an Interstate MT-75 and it is fine. It has 650 CCA and 815 CA. The key to batteries is to have it big enough of course but never draw it down below 1/2, try to keep it fully charged, never let it freeze, and charge it slowly. Figure after 5 years you are on borrowed time so have it load tested if you want to keep using it. If you are not using the car trickle charge the battery every month for 1 day. Store it in a warm place on a piece of wood. Keep it clean and dry. If you are cranking the motor and it doesn't start do NOT keep trying till you kill the battery.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I agree, you do not need something expensive or exotic. I have an Interstate MT-75 and it is fine. .
    MT78 is slightly larger than the 75 and is the original OEM size. Capacity is larger than the 75. Cross reference is about every Chevy pickup truck/Suburban made, so it's easy to specify.

Group 78 Side Terminal is what you want.

I see plenty of cars running 75s and they work fine, but in the long haul you'll get more out of a 78, it fits, and the cost is the same or within $5.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Agreed. Battery maintenance is the key - you can't make up for it with a more expensive battery. I've tried red tops and yellow tops over the years and have found them to be no better than an Interstate battery for example. My theory has become that when you pay double for a battery you tend to invest a little more time and attention into its condition, so you use a disconnect or a trickle charger more often. IMO if you pay attention to the battery as if you spent $200 on it, you will still be fine with a battery that costs half as much. If you do want to believe the more expensive battery is better - why stop at the red or yellow top when you can have this: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CMgCEKYrMAw

Get a 78 with the best warranty for the bucks. Look for something with a recent manufacturing date if you can find it. Keep the receipt. If it does fail before the warranty is up and you lost your receipt often they will warranty it back to the manufacturing date - but not the purchase date. You are better off with the newest battery on the rack either way.

Also consider getting a battery disconnect switch. You can slip your right hand down behind the passenger seat and into the battery compartment and switch it on and off easily. I also got a battery bolt with a place to hook up an O ring connector. This way whenever I switch off the battery I do leave the radio still connected so the memory stays on - that draws so little power its never caused me an issue. You can also wire in the clock this way if you have one. Any such feed needs a dedicated fuse in line.
    Last edited by TTait; 01-01-2015 at 05:02 PM.

I agree - most any good battery is ok but---- my opinion -- the vapors from conventional vented lead-acid batteries is one of the primary reasons, in addition to just good old Lucas, that so many fuse and relay problems arise. The corrosion takes it toll - and even faster if there is no ventilation and using a tender or maintainer.

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

I found a Duracell Ultra SLI78M that has 850 CCA. O'Reilly's also sells a Superstart Extreme 78EXT that has 850 CCA. Don't remember the CA for both but they are at 1,000 CA or higher.
    Shannon