FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Problem: Angle drive or Dust shield?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Just thinking out loud here, is there any way to put some sort of friction clutch in the cap to act as the weak spot. It would still protect the speedo and cables
    but allow a jamb to to freewheel.......feel free to run with this
    If you have so much friction upstream in the system to cause the cup to strip out ( or clutch device to slip) you have other issues that need to be addressed. A $15 - $30 speedo drive cup is chump change IMHO.

It seems like a lot the Remanufactured (service) parts have had less than desirable service histories. It would be nice if the term IMPROVED (better than the OE) actually meant something. While there are items out there that do have a good track record so far ( steering racks, fuse boxes with much better Terminals) I know there are Are more. It's the Weak stuff that keeps weighing down on the truly good items.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    To be honest I've experienced a lot of failures of the reproduction dust caps (speedo adapter cup is more correct) and am considering making my own. I've found the new ones often need to be ground down on a benchgrinder to be fit to the hub without banging them on with a hammer (which I will not do). They also strip out with far greater frequency than the obviously stronger plastic originals. You can tell them apart by color. The repro's are bright white while the NOS version has a slight tannish or yellow color. The material I'm considering will be almost translucent I'm told so each version will be discernable to the eye. My version will be more expensive at around $30- so I'd like as much feedback as I can get because I'm ready to pull the trigger on this project.

So please tell if I'm crazy or have some of you noticed what I'm talking about and would like a better Speedo Adapter Cup. My decision rests on your feedback and PM's are most welcome lest we offend anybody. I probably already did but I'm good like that! Ok going home for dinner.
    Rob Grady
    Consider using Polycarbonate as the material, we know it's bullet proof. Remember those Dupont (Lexan) commercials 30 yrs ago. aka (polycarbonate)
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Hi Darren
    I still carry the one piece cables. My supplier is slow to respond to reorders but I have a few at the moment. The HCR gears were very good but I mentioned possibly remaking them (I was responding to an old thread in the Custom Delorean section so that may be the problem there) and got little response so I don't know if there is still a need. I'd like to get feedback from anyone who would like a better angle drive and/or a stronger adapter cut to let me know either here or in a PM.
    Rob
    Rob,

I'd definitely be interested in a better angle drive if/when mine goes out. It seems the originals had problems with lack of lubrication but were otherwise good and even if a new but stronger design required regular lubrication, I'd have no problem with that. Super easy to do. I put 80W gear oil in my AD at every oil change and things seem to be holding up nicely, save for extremely cold weather which is extremely rare here in SoCal. And that's cold weather and keeping it outside overnight. First time in 2.5 years was the other day.

I love improved products that can be installed and not have to be changed again for at least 5-7 years (ideally 10+) but I know product turnover for the vendors is definitely a nice thing. If it means spending 25-50% more $$ for the part but the quality is that much better, the cash doesn't mean anything to me.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

I finally got the time to pull the front wheel off and check things out. The dust shield was Very loose in the bore. The square hole was Perfect.
    I thought about shimming it with electrical tape like Dave suggested, (I'd guess 2 wraps was needed), but I went ahead and installed a new one.
    Being that it's a Quick job, I guess I'd rather replace the dust shield then the angle drive every 2 1/2 years. (I'd rather not replace anything though).

Time for a quick road test...

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

So please tell if I'm crazy or have some of you noticed what I'm talking about and would like a better Speedo Adapter Cup.
    YES PLEASE. I just replaced my angle drive yesterday, and noticed that the dust cap really didn't want to go all the way in.

I'm so sick of angle drive issues it's not even funny.
    - Chris

what

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Update time. I did the test drive, (in warm weather), the new dust shield worked Fine.
    The next day speedo was good until I went out for lunch. It Glitched a few times then settled down.
    On the way home from work it died. It's been that way since. Time to install the new angle drive.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Is there an O ring on the dust cap?

Mine has an O ring on it. Doesn't seem right. Seems like the O ring is preventing the dust cap from fully seating inside the hub.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There should not be an "O" ring. What I have seen is if you were worried about the dust cap slipping (it gets captured between the rim of the wheel and the hub) PO's have wrapped the edge with electrical tape. Very important the inside of the center is SQUARE. Once it gets rounded the square shaft will slip. It is kind of like a fuse, it rounds out if the angle drive or the cable jams.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2