FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bringing my DeLorean back to life

Bringing my DeLorean back to life

I decided to make this thread so as I go along, I don't have to make different threads on the same car.

With all fluids changed and the fact that I am waiting for a cheapo fuel pump in order to start flushing and cleaning the fuel system, I decided I would go ahead and get a jump start on ripping the interior out and sorting through the many, many electrical gremlins I know are there.

Hopefully this weekend I can get the dash out and sort out the mess behind there, but for now, seats are out, carpet is done, rear bulkhead panels removed....I started on the lighting system and have now been able to get some activity out of the tail lights....still nothing for the turn signals, but I didn't work too hard on them tonight.

My connectors are pretty corroded and so I'm using a salt and vinegar mix then using a baking soda/water solution to neutralize the first solution, its working pretty well and I guess I'll just continue from the engine compartment and make my way forward, repairing and replacing as I need to.

IMG_3229.jpg

My VIN:    5312

Gonna keep tabs on your thread. I'll be going through and cleaning connectors in mine as well soon when I upgrade to all led

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I found that oxalic acid works well in dissolving rust in sockets, rust stains on the marker lights, etc. Among other sources, it can be found at ACE under the brand CAP. I used 400 grit sandpaper with it on the sockets and a q-tip and patience on the marker lights.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I found that oxalic acid works well in dissolving rust in sockets, rust stains on the marker lights, etc. Among other sources, it can be found at ACE under the brand CAP. I used 400 grit sandpaper with it on the sockets and a q-tip and patience on the marker lights.
    My suggestion to "bringing it back to life" is to get it running as quickly as you can doing as little as necessary. Of course it doesn't mean cutting corners but the theory is if you can drive it at all you can figure out what needs attention and what is OK. Depending on how long and how bad the car is commonly the main issues are the battery, the fuel system, and the brake/clutch systems. That should be enough for the car to at least move under it's own power so you can determine what else needs to be done. Once you can drive it and see what works you make up a list and then work on one system at a time. This approach keeps the immediate work load small enough so that you do not get overwhelmed. It also fits a budget better breaking the job up into small pieces. It builds confidence and you get to see progress quickly.
    The other way is to tear the whole car apart and do a full or partial restoration. A huge job that takes a LOT longer. Beyond the abilities of most and a sure way to fail when you run out of enthusiasm.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03037

Thanks for this tip. oxalic acid looks like it does wonders.
    Last edited by skill; 01-03-2015 at 08:37 PM.
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    My suggestion to "bringing it back to life" is to get it running as quickly as you can doing as little as necessary. Of course it doesn't mean cutting corners but the theory is if you can drive it at all you can figure out what needs attention and what is OK. Depending on how long and how bad the car is commonly the main issues are the battery, the fuel system, and the brake/clutch systems. That should be enough for the car to at least move under it's own power so you can determine what else needs to be done. Once you can drive it and see what works you make up a list and then work on one system at a time. This approach keeps the immediate work load small enough so that you do not get overwhelmed. It also fits a budget better breaking the job up into small pieces. It builds confidence and you get to see progress quickly.
    The other way is to tear the whole car apart and do a full or partial restoration. A huge job that takes a LOT longer. Beyond the abilities of most and a sure way to fail when you run out of enthusiasm.

David, I totally agree with your approach. Go as far as you can you'll see a lot further from there. The money can be spent on what's needed first versus just trying to fix everything.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Edit: the brand at ACE is Snowcap. I knew there was a cap in there somewhere.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

My suggestion to "bringing it back to life" is to get it running as quickly as you can doing as little as necessary.
    One thing you can't skip though is a good safety inspection - get under the entire car - preferably up on a lift. Check the frame and suspension for damaged components. Lube the suspension and angle drive. Check the tires. Pull the wheels and inspect the brakes. Suspension/Steering and brakes have to be working before anything else.

Secondary to that, make sure you don't damage the car. Cooling system, lubrication, and basic electrical. If anything grinds, overheats, burns, or melts you won't be happy.

Then drive. Every time you park the car pull out your phone and add to the list.

Don't expect the list to ever be completed - it's a living thing. Hopefully someday though you will find it filled with more trivial issues and wish list items.

BTW - Several vendors (DMC and Hervey, maybe others) offer "restoration" pricing - for example if you spend $1500, then all subsequent orders for a year are 10% off. This may affect your purchasing strategy. I think you purchased the car from Hervey, I'd suggest reading a few threads here and there to help you decide what you want to buy where.
    Last edited by TTait; 01-05-2015 at 01:53 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    One thing you can't skip though is a good safety inspection - get under the entire car - preferably up on a lift. Check the frame and suspension for damaged components. Lube the suspension and angle drive. Check the tires. Pull the wheels and inspect the brakes. Suspension/Steering and brakes have to be working before anything else.

Secondary to that, make sure you don't damage the car. Cooling system, lubrication, and basic electrical. If anything grinds, overheats, burns, or melts you won't be happy.

Then drive. Every time you park the car pull out your phone and add to the list.

Don't expect the list to ever be completed - it's a living thing. Hopefully someday though you will find it filled with more trivial issues and wish list items.

BTW - Several vendors (DMC and Hervey, maybe others) offer "restoration" pricing - for example if you spend $1500, then all subsequent orders for a year are 10% off. This may affect your purchasing strategy. I think you purchased the car from Hervey, I'd suggest reading a few threads here and there to help you decide what you want to buy where.

When I said get it running quick I didn't mean to go out onto the highway and drive 60 MPH. Just getting it to move under it's own power can tell you a lot even if it is only in your driveway. Of course you should examine the car thoroughly and service (grease) it. Yes, the venders do have discount pricing and you save shipping but only if you can afford to. For many, most of the time, it is best to keep the project to small, easy to do jobs rather than to big. time and money consuming projects. Among the first things a new owner should do is the paperwork. By that I mean insurance, Title and registration. That way you KNOW you own it before you start spending a lot of time and money on the car. I keep what I call a "Squawk Sheet" and after each drive if I notice anything that needs attention I make a note of it. Keeps you from forgetting to take care of it and helps to prioritize what needs to be done. At first it seems all you do is add to the list. Slowly, as you take care of each item, eventually the list will start to get smaller. There will always be something. One of the first and cheapest things you can start with is to clean the car inside and out. Helps you to get to know the car while spending "quality time" with it.
    David Teitelbaum

When I said get it running quick I didn't mean to go out onto the highway and drive 60 MPH. Just getting it to move under it's own power can tell you a lot even if it is only in your driveway. Of course you should examine the car thoroughly and service (grease) it. Yes, the venders do have discount pricing and you save shipping but only if you can afford to. For many, most of the time, it is best to keep the project to small, easy to do jobs rather than to big. time and money consuming projects. Among the first things a new owner should do is the paperwork. By that I mean insurance, Title and registration. That way you KNOW you own it before you start spending a lot of time and money on the car. I keep what I call a "Squawk Sheet" and after each drive if I notice anything that needs attention I make a note of it. Keeps you from forgetting to take care of it and helps to prioritize what needs to be done. At first it seems all you do is add to the list. Slowly, as you take care of each item, eventually the list will start to get smaller. There will always be something. One of the first and cheapest things you can start with is to clean the car inside and out. Helps you to get to know the car while spending "quality time" with it.
    I, of course, agree with going through the fluid systems, brakes, etc to make sure the car is safe. I also completely agree with the get it running, try to drive it (even if just around the block) and go from there creating priorities. I gutted the interior because due to water leaking into the seals the carpet was all moldy and mildewed), and because I noticed some wiring issues and wanted to sort those out.

I've had a bunch of classic cars and you're right, they are NEVER really done. As you said, you just need to prioritize and then things become more trivial and preferential.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast