FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: BTTF Time Machine Build Questions - Ask Me Anything

This is great info. Does anyone know what type of led segment displays were used? I can't determine whether the size is .56" or .80"? I also can't seem to find a good set of alphanumeric digits that are correctly spaced for the months. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a (hopefully) fairly simple question. On the Part 2 and 3 cars, there's a greyish metal box behind the Mr Fusion prop. I'm wondering what this is. Also it doesn't seem to be present on the Part 1 version of the car and I always thought the only change to the back was the plutonium chamber for Mr Fusion. Are you aware of any other difference between the nuclear and fusion versions?

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Fk00gsr View Post
    This is great info. Does anyone know what type of led segment displays were used? I can't determine whether the size is .56" or .80"? I also can't seem to find a good set of alphanumeric digits that are correctly spaced for the months. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The 7 segment displays used in the original cars are no longer available from the manufacturer in the correct sizes and colors but other manufacturers make some that are close. The digit height is .80". The 3 digit alphanumeric displays were originally made using colored gels back lit by a small incandescent light. The face plates containing the gels were swapped in each scene with a different pre-set month. If you look closely in some scenes before the time circuits light up you can see the month is already present but not lit. On modern time circuit displays most people use off the shelf alphanumeric displays that you can find on Newark.com, mouser electronics, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    I have a (hopefully) fairly simple question. On the Part 2 and 3 cars, there's a greyish metal box behind the Mr Fusion prop. I'm wondering what this is. Also it doesn't seem to be present on the Part 1 version of the car and I always thought the only change to the back was the plutonium chamber for Mr Fusion. Are you aware of any other difference between the nuclear and fusion versions?
    The grey box you see forward of the nuclear reactor is an ammo box covered with a large heatsink. This was added between Part I and Part II, presumably to fill the void from the correct parts that were supposed to be there but were lost. Originally there were two round metal cans but those were removed to install the lightning rod "Trolley Pickup" base. After removal of the lightning rod base it the round cans never made it back on the car.

The basic revisions you see to the car are:

Part I
    Mark I - As you first see it backing out of the van in the mall parking lot, Two round metal cans are directly forward of the nuclear reactor.
    Mark II - Modified with lightning rod "trolley pickup". The round cans are removed and replaced with the lightning rod base.
    Mark III - Mr. Fusion added, lightning rod base removed in front of reactor

Part II
    Mark IV - Ammo box with heatsink added in front of Mr. Fusion

Part III
    Mark V - Whitewall tires, hood box time circuits
    Mark VI - Train wheels

Also keep in mind that there were also variations between the A, B, and C cars, offroad stunt cars, the Oxnard wheelie car, and the fiberglass mockup. Most people try to build an accurate replica mostly matching the A or B car with a few of the interior details accurate to the C car.

My VIN:    07000

Do you have any detailed pics and dimensions for the flux boxes? I'd like to model them in Fusion so I can then make some 3D prints.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Do you have any detailed pics and dimensions for the flux boxes? I'd like to model them in Fusion so I can then make some 3D prints.

Thanks!
    I sent you a PM.

My VIN:    07000

Dig it

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The 7 segment displays used in the original cars are no longer available from the manufacturer in the correct sizes and colors but other manufacturers make some that are close. The digit height is .80". The 3 digit alphanumeric displays were originally made using colored gels back lit by a small incandescent light. The face plates containing the gels were swapped in each scene with a different pre-set month. If you look closely in some scenes before the time circuits light up you can see the month is already present but not lit. On modern time circuit displays most people use off the shelf alphanumeric displays that you can find on Newark.com, mouser electronics, etc.
    The information in this thread doesn't add up. The CR-852 enclosure is 8.5 inches wide. If the digit height is 0.8 inches, then each digit is 20 mm wide. 20 times 13 digits is 260 mm. That is 10.23 inches without any spacing at all! Either the enclosure is not the CR-852, or the digit height is not 0.8 inches. Or perhaps both are incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by CN12345 View Post
    The information in this thread doesn't add up.
    It sure does.

The CR-852 enclosure is 8.5 inches wide.
    Correct.

If the digit height is 0.8 inches
    It is, as I stated.

then each digit is 20 mm wide.
    This is an assumption on your part which is incorrect.

20 times 13 digits is 260 mm. That is 10.23 inches without any spacing at all! Either the enclosure is not the CR-852, or the digit height is not 0.8 inches. Or perhaps both are incorrect.
    Or you made an assumption on your own that was wrong and all your other math based on that assumption is also wrong.

If you wanted to know the width of each display you could have just asked without making accusations. Each 7 segment display is just under 1/2" wide. And as I explained before, the three digit month display was not originally made up of LEDs but was a back lit gel. With a modern 14 segment, 3 character display you can get close to what is seen on screen, but no accurate displays exist, or can possibly exist based on some of the characters seen on screen, IE the "V" character in "NOV" is not possible to make on an actual 14 segment LED display.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    This is an assumption on your part which is incorrect.

Or you made an assumption on your own that was wrong and all your other math based on that assumption is also wrong.

If you wanted to know the width of each display you could have just asked without making accusations. Each 7 segment display is just under 1/2" wide. And as I explained before, the three digit month display was not originally made up of LEDs but was a back lit gel. With a modern 14 segment, 3 character display you can get close to what is seen on screen, but no accurate displays exist, or can possibly exist based on some of the characters seen on screen, IE the "V" character in "NOV" is not possible to make on an actual 14 segment LED display.
    I have on hand a number of 0.8 inch displays, and here is a diagram for a typical 0.8 inch 7 segment display:

77d373d0-a50c-4852-90ee-872d00448e05.jpg

27.7 X 20 MM.

11 MM character width at a slant. Use trig to find the actual width and you get ~0.574 inch character width.

It's not even close. Even if you somehow slimmed these down from 20 MM to remove the edges and had no space between any of the digits (which is not accurate), it would be ~7.463 inches. That's just way off when you include all the spaces.
    Last edited by CN12345; 01-12-2016 at 01:23 AM.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast