FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Thread: BTTF Time Machine Build Questions - Ask Me Anything

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffhucik View Post
    Steve,
    This is much more than I have been able to find on my own.This could at least give me a starting point. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Thanks a lot!
    Jeff
    No problem... Sorry there wasn't more.
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    6125

I've gotten quite a few PM's in the past week or so asking for some reference photos, just wanted to update that I'm working on it and should have some info available soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I've gotten quite a few PM's in the past week or so asking for some reference photos, just wanted to update that I'm working on it and should have some info available soon.
    Thanks for all your time on this, Mark.
    Appreciate your willingness to share what you can.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    20034

What type LED light strips for flux bands have you all used?

Hi time machine builders!
    From those of you who have already installed LED lights behind your flux bands...what brands and type have you found reliable and easy to work with? Ones to avoid? (bad product/warranty/service)?

I tried out (photo attached) and was considering LED strips (the 5050 kind on thin strips with 3m tape) but also leaning toward the "neon" tube styles that are a bit more expensive, but flexible12615607_1211977858831959_567039591912313687_o.jpg...since the original car was based on neon lights (?) back in the day. Pros and cons of what you all have used already in the "real world" and would like it to be mobile so you can drive with lights on (white mode) and not always plugged into a wall for static display.

Thanks,

StanManPushN88

My VIN:    5269

Am/Fm Radio

I've search the thread and don't believe I've seen this discussed. We know that the AM/FM radio used in the film that sits on top of the time circuits isn't either of the 2 stock DeLorean radios originally put in the car. Ive spent hour's going down the rabbit hold of trying to figure out what unit they used. I ended up using footage from someone taping the restored A-car at the Peterson Auto Museum as a reference. All I had to go off of was an image of a radio with a U shaped face with a silver border and the word "Auto Stop" on the tape deck flap. Surprisingly a google search of "AM/FM Radio Auto Stop" brought me to what looked like the same radio after a few mins of browsing, though all my previous efforts had been futile. I landed on a Kraco Dashmaster model:KID-581E. There was one on eBay in mint condition at a decent price so I grabbed it. Here's the thing, the few movie shots you can find depict a different radio. Now being as there were 2 other cars used for various shots, some not containing items used in the A-car, im having a hard time nailing down that this is the one. The shots I can find from the film are most likely the B & C cars. You can see it in the Pt III debris from the train hit, but that's the B-car. All the other shots are inside so that's going to be the C-car. You'd hope as picky as Joe Walser seemed to be in the restore doc that he would get this right. There is also the possibility the radio had since been stolen when it was sitting on the lot and no one could figure out which one was actually in the A-car so something close was randomly chosen. Another thing of note is in Ready Player One's Delorean scenes you can pick out the Kraco. Now this is probably because they used the restored car as the base for the CG recreation. Has the true identity of the original radio been forever altered by events in the future? or is the Kraco honestly the one from the past? I have included reference photos to show my findings.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffhucik View Post
    Here's the thing, the few movie shots you can find depict a different radio. Now being as there were 2 other cars used for various shots, some not containing items used in the A-car, im having a hard time nailing down that this is the one. The shots I can find from the film are most likely the B & C cars.
    For what it's worth - I noticed in the screen shots (assume it's the C Car) the AM/FM tuner display is flipped from the one you bought. I.E. AM on the bottom on yours and on the top in the screen grabs. Though as you note, this means nothing without shots from tha A Car.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    20034

What kind of brackets can we find/use for flux bands?

What are some off the shelf available brackets that you all have found to hold the flux "mesh" steady to the rods while driving? Home Depot/Grainger/Lowe's sources or a preferred direct link please? Thanks! I've seen some brackets (P clamps") with black rubber on the metal and of course, the original car with just pure metal?

My VIN:    5269

Quote Originally Posted by StanMan PushN 88 View Post
    What are some off the shelf available brackets that you all have found to hold the flux "mesh" steady to the rods while driving? Home Depot/Grainger/Lowe's sources or a preferred direct link please? Thanks! I've seen some brackets (P clamps") with black rubber on the metal and of course, the original car with just pure metal?
    So you could just buy some hose clamps at depot, but if you want to be accurate the screen used ones are gold with a slit in it. You can get the exact ones used here:

http://www.moviepropelec.com/en/time...o-cushion.html

they also have the purple #13 size ones used on the exterior cables that go to the flux boxes, various inside cabling, and the on the bottom of the SID. they are really expensive though. I did some research and found these for the the purple cushion #13's:

https://military-fasteners.com/clamp...s/MS21919WDE13

they are purple with a gold band with no slit but a fraction of the cost. the flux band clamps are a size 10 but the closest they have there is a 9. you could just toss the rubber isolator for the gold band. (in the picture below the purple looks darker than it really is, its actually a nice close match to the film color)
    Attached Images

My VIN:    07000

Hey Mark,
    Any chance you might have the diagram of the Mr.Fusion base and white lid, like you had for the TRW Time Circuits keypad??

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Hey Mark,
    Any chance you might have the diagram of the Mr.Fusion base and white lid, like you had for the TRW Time Circuits keypad??
    One of the best resources out there for accurate Mr. Fusion dimensions would be the Diamond Select replica. It was created from info provided by Temporal FX and the time machine restoration team. Screen used parts were referenced in the creation of a CAD models but that info is not my intellectual property to share.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Selec.../dp/B00O52T11S

There were some minor changes made by DS in order to create a product that could be mass produced, but the overall dimensions and details are extremely accurate. The main changes that were made were to split the top krups/white lid assy into two halves that could be separately injection molded. The original prop was a krups grinder bolted to the lower lid section and then it was all bondo'd together for a smooth seamless look. It didn't make sense from a production standpoint to manufacture it this way, so the top half was split vertically along the same parting line as the krups grinder itself.

The black base, latch mechanism and some of the other details were also made to look dimensionally correct but with some physical changes in the construction so they could be made from plastic instead of cast or welded aluminum.

Anyone wanting to create their own CAD models or 3D print parts for a customized build with an actual Krups grinder could use the DS replica for reference. It's a little pricey for what it is but as far as I know there really isn't any other widely available source for accurate dimensions. If I were hell bent on building my own fusion I'd buy a DS replica, measure the shit out of it, sell it on ebay, and then scratch build my own using the CAD files and a real Krups, 3D printed / machined / welded parts.

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast