FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: BTTF Time Machine Build Questions - Ask Me Anything

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by "What The Flux?" View Post
    Hi Mark, apologies if I am being a pain, but just in case you missed my earlier question...

Many thanks!
    I should be able to post some basic dimensions of the engine cover, I just haven't been on my other computer lately to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I should be able to post some basic dimensions of the engine cover, I just haven't been on my other computer lately to take a look.
    Thanks Mark, I am grateful

My VIN:    07000

Hi Mark, I know in the actual car, the TDC was static with backlit gels. Do you know off- hand what the font was and size that they used?

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say...
    This is my absolute favorite thread to see updates on!

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    This is my absolute favorite thread to see updates on!
    Agreed!

Mark, could you confirm the size of the various button cap screws on the rear vents?

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Hi Mark, I know in the actual car, the TDC was static with backlit gels. Do you know off- hand what the font was and size that they used?
    Only the 3 digit display for the "month" on the C car were back lit gels, the other digits were 7 segment LED displays that could be programmed to any number using a special effects box off camera. The height of each alpha character for the gels was sized to match the numeric LED displays which have a character height of .60" tall. It's not a common size and the LED's are no longer in production. If you're shopping for LED's you can find some that are close, but be sure you're ordering to get the size of the character as close as possible to .60. Often times they are listed by the overall height of the case/digit height and not the character height. There are generally two types of 'font', those that have rounded corners and those that have pointed corners on the individual segments of the digits. For screen accurate characters the tips of the segments should all be pointed.

Not sure if I mentioned this in this thread yet but the A, B, and C cars all started out with 2 digit numeric month displays. The C car was used for all the close up shots of the time circuit display and it was modified to have a 3 digit alpha display for the months so it would be much easier to read on screen. The A and B cars retained their numeric 2 digit month displays throughout the trilogy and there are only a few brief moments where you can see them on screen in non-close up shots. Here's a photo from sometime in the late 80's showing the A car's TCD.

You can also see on the original A car displays the round 3mm LED's for AM/PM and the colon for the time are color matched to the displays (Amber, Green, Yellow) whereas on the modified C car display they were all yellow.
    Last edited by Mark D; 03-30-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drewguillory View Post
    Agreed!

Mark, could you confirm the size of the various button cap screws on the rear vents?

The seven hex button head cap screws that are lined up in a row on each side of the belt separator are #10 (can be 24 or 32 threads per inch, the head size is the same for both) McMasterCarr sells these in black oxide stainless which looks accurate but will not rust like the black oxide mild steel button head cap screws used on the screen used cars.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=16zjxc6

The three other "oops" screw holes shown that were used to mount the plastic CO2 vent horn inside the vent are two different sizes of screw. They are phillips head, and the one small one you see is #8 and the two large ones are #10. These are round head sheet metal screws.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#tapping-screws/=16zjwx5

I can't remember off the top of my head the phillips head screw sizes for the other three oops holes on the other vent. I think those were all the same size. If you've got a high res photo of the other side you can compare to the button head cap screws nearby to determine if they are #8 or #10.

My VIN:    5470

Not sure if I mentioned this in this thread yet but the A, B, and C cars all started out with had 2 digit numeric months. The C car was used for all the close up shots of the time circuit display, and it was modified to have a 3 digit alpha display for the months so it would be much easier to read on screen. The A and B cars retained their numeric 2 digit month displays throughout the trilogy and there are only a few brief moments where you can see them on screen in non-close up shots. Here's a photo from sometime in the late 80's showing the A car's TCD.
    It's amazing that even way back in 1985, Doc Brown had the foresight to use a 4 digit year and avoid the Y2K threat. If only the rest of us paid attention.

....Agreed with mluder - I have never considered building a BTTF car, but this thread is one of my favorites to read. The attention to detail and wealth of information shared is truly impressive.

My VIN:    07000

Only the 3 digit display for the "month" on the C car were back lit gels, the other digits were 7 segment LED displays that could be programmed to any number using a special effects box off camera. The height of each alpha character for the gels was sized to match the numeric LED displays which have a character height of .60" tall. It's not a common size and the LED's are no longer in production. If you're shopping for LED's you can find some that are close, but be sure you're ordering to get the size of the character as close as possible to .60. Often times they are listed by the overall height of the case/digit height and not the character height. There are generally two types of 'font', those that have rounded corners and those that have pointed corners on the individual segments of the digits. For screen accurate characters the tips of the segments should all be pointed.

Not sure if I mentioned this in this thread yet but the A, B, and C cars all started out with 2 digit numeric month displays. The C car was used for all the close up shots of the time circuit display and it was modified to have a 3 digit alpha display for the months so it would be much easier to read on screen. The A and B cars retained their numeric 2 digit month displays throughout the trilogy and there are only a few brief moments where you can see them on screen in non-close up shots. Here's a photo from sometime in the late 80's showing the A car's TCD.

You can also see on the original A car displays the round 3mm LED's for AM/PM and the colon for the time are color matched to the displays (Amber, Green, Yellow) whereas on the modified C car display they were all yellow.
    Good to know. Thanks for the great information, Mark!

I completely agree with the other followers here. This thread specifically is one of my absolute favorites and I check in on a daily basis in the hope of learning something new and interesting from Mark. I think we can all agree that Mark's contribution to the community in sharing his experience of a very privileged opportunity during the restoration is as generous as it is awesome!

I know we ask you a lot of questions Mark, but please know that we are all grateful for your fantastically detailed answers.

Additional note: I didn't even notice that one of those three Philips screws was smaller than the other two??! Awesome attention to detail!

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast