FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: BTTF Time Machine Build Questions - Ask Me Anything

My VIN:    07000

Thanks for the great info Mark, and yeah, I get it as far as parts and Kevin (as well as others) not knowing everything. That's pretty much how it is for the most part in the R2 Builders group — a lot what we have was from measurements guys took whenever there was an exhibit going on, as well as from the old Star Wars Blueprints set, and so forth. Then there was a lot of effort into what certain parts looked like they were from, found parts, parts that no longer existed (or were cheap enough to buy like the Vickers Viscount reading lamps). Eventually people started making parts and sharing them, either the design, or how to make, or would do a run (at cost thanks to the license permissions we have from LFL). An example would be the restraining bolt. For years there was first an aluminum machined version, then a resin version (more affordable) made with permission from the guy who made the aluminum ones, and they looked passable. Then so many years later, a couple of the builders figure out EXACTLY what was used (Arri camera lens) and make a perfectly machined version (since the original is hard to find), and sell it for a very reasonable price. And now those guys have figured out the dimensions for our droids we've been using for the last 10 or 15 years are off by just a teeny little. So now there's a new standard - and fortunately the old standard for people who started their builds before the new info was found. AND NOW the new R2 for the movies, built by fellow club members, has a slightly taller dome... and thus a new standard is born.

Anyway, I want to make a 3D printed version of the Tachyon Field Generator, or Worm Hole Emitter, or... and if it comes out okay, I can offer it to others AT COST for print time and materials, or just throw up the model and let others do their own.
    So, can I get some more pics- top, back, sides, front, and dimensions?

Greg

Oh, didn't see there's some dimensions on the pics you posted. Are there more pics up close like that from different angles?

My VIN:    6125

Greg, I get where you're coming from with the R2 builders group. It sounds like there are a few similarities but also a lot of differences since Universal is pretty much hands off and there are no licenses needed to build a time machine replica.

I'll check and see what other photos I have for the WHE (aka Tachyon Field Generator) I know I've got more with dimensions.

3D printing would be a decent path to take, although given the size and amount of material they'd probably end up being a couple hundred bucks each in cost to print. Otherwise there have been castings made of the real ones. I don't have one myself but I know they're out there from a few different sources.
    Last edited by Mark D; 01-08-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Depending on how it's printed it shouldn't be too much, and now that more people have a printer or access to one, it's all up to them. As far as the resin cast ones, I saw VB has one in his set with all the external boxes, but wants $1500 smackers.. to rich for a scratch builder...

My VIN:    2628

Thanks for this thread!
    And all the information that you are able to share with us.
    I had a question about the gold box behind the TCD Drum Switch.
    Information seems to be scarce on what part was used for it and the dimensions?
    Can you give any insight on that?

Thanks so much!

phoca_thumb_l_bttf website pics 3 640x427.jpg

My VIN:    6125

This is a "Clare Electroseal" power supply. Less than a handful have ever been found in the wild so your chances of finding one even with the part number are probably slim. Overall dimensions are 10 x 7 x 5.5. Most people build replicas out of steel or aluminum. The original is cad plated steel with yellow dichromate finish.

Here are a few more photos for reference

My VIN:    2628

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    This is a "Clare Electroseal" power supply. Less than a handful have ever been found in the wild so your chances of finding one even with the part number are probably slim. Overall dimensions are 10 x 7 x 5.5. Most people build replicas out of steel or aluminum. The original is cad plated steel with yellow dichromate finish.
    Thank You! Yes i figured finding one would be impossible. I was more curious as to what exactly it was?
    And more importantly the Dimensions.

It looks like they left the arm rest and back center console tray in place Under the Gold Box?
    I thought that was all removed then the Aluminum put down?
    Last edited by Silkie; 01-09-2015 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks for the info Mark. Although my build is "almost" complete its always good to see more information

Also

If anyone wants a Wormhole Emitter, I make them and supply them to Bruce Coloumbe and Danny Botkin for their replicas

regards

Brad

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Kevin Pike was asked probably a decade ago and he thought the WHE might be an aircraft engine ignitor, but that theory was disproved. Kevin was not always directly involved with actually sourcing the parts on the car...often times it was his guys from the shop that were out digging for parts that matched that conceptual design drawings.

The "parts safari" video was shot at APEX electronics, a well known source for a lot of the original parts. It has been pretty much picked over at this point, but I'm sure there are still a few random parts there that would be accurate matches to the screen used cars. Over the many years of hunting through APEX "sister" parts were discovered that literally came from the same cardboard box as the parts used on the screen used car. Most of that stuff is all gone at this point. Inventory gets turned over and recycled at APEX on a regular basis as well, and a cast aluminum part such as the wormhole emitter would have been a good candidate for recycling and melting down for scrap.

A few of the parts on the time machine have also been confirmed as low production or prototype parts from military applications. In the 60's if some prototype vehicle contract was cancelled by the government the supplier of these prototype parts would scrap out any inventory on hand. A lot of that that stuff made it to APEX and then 25 years later Pike's guys picked up the only 3 ever made. Now tack on another 30 years after that it's basically impossible to find more, or even details about what the part was.
    That's why having access to any and all DRMO's (Defense Reutilization Managment Office) is kindof critical. I have access to some of those places as a Retiree. https://www.sales.dla.mil./dlab2b/init.do This website is for the general public. Also being in 3D design and from Detroit, If I can get a picture of it, I can find a vendor that will do it (my Uncle supplies all types of Metals to the Big 3). So some of those hard to find parts are not hard to find, just need a picture, estimated measurements and some persistance.

I hope the site helps you find what you need. Create an account. Search for what is out there that you could need and then bid on it. Sort of like eBay but only Military-style.
    Last edited by aotmfilms; 05-12-2015 at 04:00 PM.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast