Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 395

Thread: BTTF Time Machine Build Questions - Ask Me Anything

  1. #281
    Senior Member Timebender's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2011

    Location:  Jamul, CA

    Posts:    1,400

    My VIN:    07000

    Quote Originally Posted by Revol2 View Post
    You are lucky!
    I'm like a donkey. Got 2 inches size from ebay
    I'm going to have at least one extra of the full-size ones and an extra rectangular, since I found some more at the local electronics surplus store.
    If you want I'll sell the one's I got on eBay for what I paid (they weren't that expensive either).

    Greg

  2. #282
    Senior Member Timebender's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2011

    Location:  Jamul, CA

    Posts:    1,400

    My VIN:    07000

    Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Sorry, I sent you down the wrong road originally. I didn't notice the size was wrong.

    Steve
    No biggie - live and learn. And it was only a $16 dollar lesson after shipping.

  3. #283
    Senior Member Timebender's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2011

    Location:  Jamul, CA

    Posts:    1,400

    My VIN:    07000

    Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    Hello again
    Would anyone on this page be willing to do a BTTF parts exchange?
    It seems like we are all individually re-inventing the wheel. It might make more sense for each of us to specialize in a few different parts, and then trade (or pay for) with other builders.
    I think that it would be a wonderful idea if we could make it work.
    ( I can build tfc switches with my eyes closed now. ( I realize that it is probably the easiest think to build)
    Just a thought....
    -Charlie
    I'd eventually want a TFC switch, depending on what you'd charge. Otherwise I'll make my own someday.

  4. #284
    Senior Member cpistocco's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2013

    Location:  Cranston, RI

    Posts:    284

    My VIN:    4941

    Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    I'd eventually want a TFC switch, depending on what you'd charge. Otherwise I'll make my own someday.
    Would you buy the parts....or would I?
    - I feel like half the battle is getting your hands on the correct parts!

  5. #285
    Senior Member Timebender's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2011

    Location:  Jamul, CA

    Posts:    1,400

    My VIN:    07000

    Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    Would you buy the parts....or would I?
    - I feel like half the battle is getting your hands on the correct parts!
    I can get the parts, which might be close to accurate but probably not 100% which to be honest is okey dokey.

  6. #286
    Senior Member cpistocco's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2013

    Location:  Cranston, RI

    Posts:    284

    My VIN:    4941

    Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    I can get the parts, which might be close to accurate but probably not 100% which to be honest is okey dokey.
    OK I will message you with further info. (BTW- The only "100% screen accurate" part that is NLA is the radio shack project box.) You cant even get them from Videobob anymore.

  7. #287
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    1,885

    My VIN:    6125

    Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    OK I will message you with further info. (BTW- The only "100% screen accurate" part that is NLA is the radio shack project box.) You cant even get them from Videobob anymore.
    For the record, the radio shack boxes were not even the correct box. They were just really close and what most people opted to use 10 years ago since they were readily available at the time. The actual screen used boxes were made by some other company (I'm not even sure by who off the top my my head) but some of the other enclosures in the car are from LMB Heeger.

    If you want a TFC box with the exact dimensions as screen used you'd need to have parts custom fabricated. Otherwise, as others have posted, there are really close alternatives and nearly no one will be able to tell the difference.

    Most of the other parts besides the box are available, but as with nearly everything things change over the years and there are slight variations. The large Dayton switch has about 10 different variations from parts built in the 60's/70's to what is available new today from Dayton. The Dialco Dialight lenses are still being made as well but there are subtle differences in the shape of the chrome bezel that is crimped around the plastic lens. If you care about accuracy as whole the differences add up pretty fast you're going to end up hunting for vintage era parts that are not as readily available as the new stuff.

    In many cases it's tougher to find an accurate part when a variation of that part is still in production today. Instead of searching for a single needle in a hay stack now you're searching for that same needle but with a bunch of other close-but not-quite-the-same needles giving you false positives that you've found what you're searching for.
    Last edited by Mark D; 03-14-2017 at 04:05 PM.

  8. #288
    Senior Member cpistocco's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2013

    Location:  Cranston, RI

    Posts:    284

    My VIN:    4941

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    For the record, the radio shack boxes were not even the correct box. They were just really close and what most people opted to use 10 years ago since they were readily available at the time. The actual screen used boxes were made by some other company (I'm not even sure by who off the top my my head) but some of the other enclosures in the car are from LMB Heeger.

    If you want a TFC box with the exact dimensions as screen used you'd need to have parts custom fabricated. Otherwise, as others have posted, there are really close alternatives and nearly no one will be able to tell the difference.

    Most of the other parts besides the box are available, but as with nearly everything things change over the years and there are slight variations. The large Dayton switch has about 10 different variations from parts built in the 60's/70's to what is available new today from Dayton. The Dialco Dialight lenses are still being made as well but there are subtle differences in the shape of the chrome bezel that is crimped around the plastic lens. If you care about accuracy as whole the differences add up pretty fast you're going to end up hunting for vintage era parts that are not as readily available as the new stuff.

    In many cases it's tougher to find an accurate part when a variation of that part is still in production today. Instead of searching for a single needle in a hay stack now you're searching for that same needle but with a bunch of other close-but not-quite-the-same needles giving you false positives that you've found what you're searching for.
    Thank You Mark.... I guess that we can only try to get as close as possible...

  9. #289
    Senior Member Timebender's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2011

    Location:  Jamul, CA

    Posts:    1,400

    My VIN:    07000

    Well, being an R2 builder, I know mine isn't "screen accurate", but then R2 changed from not only movie to movie, but also scene to scene in the same movie. Everyone who sees him, including Disney Imagineering folks, are all pretty impressed at how film accurate he is, including the weathering, which to be honest, I just did to what I felt was good enough, looked aged, beaten and worn, and quickly tried to clean up any "mistakes". Put mine next to most other R2's, and people will swear it's the one from the movie. Accuracy, shmacuracy. We only know what's right and what's not- and I'm not trying to impress other builders anyway.

  10. #290
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    1,885

    My VIN:    6125

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    It shouldn't be a problem to measure the holes on the other vent. It might take a day or two since all those files are on a different computer.


    Quote Originally Posted by "What The Flux?" View Post
    What size are the screws that hold the heat sinks to the core base?
    #10 button head cap screws. Black oxide finish, get stainless if you don't want to worry about rust.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#97763a214/=16rafcu

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •