FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: BTTF Time Machine Build Questions - Ask Me Anything

My VIN:    7122

Hockey Puck / PACMAN parts

So what are these things and what are most people doing to replicate these? Making them a solid part or actually pieces and hollow as they are on the car? Starting out I think I am just going to make some simple solid models for the hockey pucks. Can you give some dimensions of these parts? Mainly just the thickness and diameter and angle of the cut out? Also, these aren't just mounted to 1/8" aluminum like the caps are. What is the base made of and dimension of it as well?

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by smcguiga View Post
    So what are these things and what are most people doing to replicate these? Making them a solid part or actually pieces and hollow as they are on the car? Starting out I think I am just going to make some simple solid models for the hockey pucks. Can you give some dimensions of these parts? Mainly just the thickness and diameter and angle of the cut out? Also, these aren't just mounted to 1/8" aluminum like the caps are. What is the base made of and dimension of it as well?
    The pacman parts are made up of 4 main components:

The "Puck" itself is an unknown component that has never been identified "in the wild" but has been painstakingly replicated by TMR to exact specs. The puck is made up of about 2 dozen smaller parts... It's a hollow aluminum housing with a separate roller assembly inside, covered with a flat plate.

The "Cone" that is internal to the Puc is a drawer pull handle. The exact source of the originals is unknown but it has also been replicated in the past using measurements from the real one.

The upper portion of the base is a drawn aluminum enclosure (manufactured by Zero company) that is trimmed to look like a dished out square plate with curved edges. Part No. ZT68-68B-0.56

The lower portion of the base is an ash tray housing from a DC-10 aircraft. It was pretty heavily modified to remove the outer flange and some of the other features so it fits flush to the zero can on top. Part No. 293-5002

If you want to build close approximations and not go crazy with the detail on the internal guts of the pucks you can save lots of time, money and effort.

To answer your specific questions:
    Puc diameter is 3" with a height of 1 7/16" when fully assembled.

The angle of the wedge shaped cutout is 30 degrees.

I'll have to look up the exact dimensions for the height of the assembled base. I'll post some additional info here with a few pictures and basic overall dims.

Here are some overall dimensions of the complete assembly. If you're looking to build some basic replicas this should have all the required dimensions to get you there.

My VIN:    7122

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Here are some overall dimensions of the complete assembly. If you're looking to build some basic replicas this should have all the required dimensions to get you there.

Awesome! Thanks!

Pacman base of base(ashtray) PN

Quote Originally Posted by smcguiga View Post
    Awesome! Thanks!
    What is the correct PN for the ashtray is it 293-5002 or 293-5000?

293-5002 is the lower part of the ash tray base that is actually needed.

The photo on the right shows the unmodified base 293-5002. On the left is a modified base that has been attached to the zero can top.

Here's what just just the modified base would look like from the other side with no zero can attached to it.

293-5000 is the complete ash tray assembly that also contains the actual tray insert:

If you buy 293-5000 you'll need to remove the tray insert and modify as above.

My VIN:    2706

Probably and easy question but there are so many tire threads I can't find a definitive answer. What size tires and brand model tires where on the origional a model time machine front and rear ?

The screen used cars were originally built with the stock Goodyear NCT's installed (235/60/15 rear, 195/60/14 front) but were swapped to outline white lettered Goodyear Eagle GT's (245/60/15 rear, 195/60/14 front). Note the slightly larger size on the rear than stock.

My VIN:    2706

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The screen used cars were originally built with the stock Goodyear NCT's installed (235/60/15 rear, 195/60/14 front) but were swapped to outline white lettered Goodyear Eagle GT's (245/60/15 rear, 195/60/14 front). Note the slightly larger size on the rear than stock.
    Awesome I like the look and plan to replicate it on my car. The sizes that is. I wish you could still get white letter eagle gt'size for front

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    Awesome I like the look and plan to replicate it on my car. The sizes that is. I wish you could still get white letter eagle gt'size for front
    Yeah the Eagle GT's with OWL are long out of production and even finding solid white letter tires is difficult. I know a few guys here have used white tire paint to fill in the letters on their tires, or there are places you can order special rubber stickers to stick on your tires for the white letter effect. Tirestickers.com is one of those places worth checking out.

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast