FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: BTTF Time Machine Build Questions - Ask Me Anything

My VIN:    4941

I am really enjoying how different people create these props in their own style.
    It would be really interesting to start a thread entitled "Wormhole emitters" or "flux bands"....and see how everyone approached the same individual part. I'll bet there have been some really creative and different approaches used to skin the same cat!

Looking at some of these BTTF builds, I would have to think that the people who spend 50k on professional builds are missing out on a lot of the fun. ( Although if I had an extra 50 grand lying around, I would probably be tempted because those guys do some incredible work)!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    Mark,

Thanks for your accurate description that no BTTF Delorean is Truely "screen accurate" because each A, B, C car was slightly different. And that most Time Machines look new.

I was very impressed with the work done on the A car restoration, but as you know, even this car is not restored to "exactly" how it was used in the movie. (e.g. numbered months.)

One question, I pose to people about the "screen accurate" car. Did the movie give the illusion that the BTTF Delorean was a hot rod engine? Clearly, the exhaust tone was NOT a PRV engine.
    So should a "screen accurate" car have a hot rod engine? The "Delorean" in BTTF III was a hot rod engine -albeit a VW- BUT is was not a PRV. So exactly what is a "screen accurate" Time Machine?

What really bothers me with this situation is that there are certain Time Machine owners, who rent their car, and who are going around "bad mouthing" other people's time machines- claiming that theirs is the only "screen accurate" car, making them huge amounts of money and not sharing this benefit with other D owners who had the dedication to do this conversion.

After all these years, since 1995, when I negotiated with Universal Studios to get the permission for people to build Time Machines, without getting sued, now I hear of serious infighting amongst different Time Machine owners. I negotiated this permission for everyone to share, NOT FOR CERTAIN people to hoard.

As for the copies of the invoices for parts, these came from Kevin Pike, way back in the early 1990s, when I was researching and obtaining parts to build the first Time Machine - hot rod- Delorean.

As you know, 2 years ago, I also developed the wheel conversion parts for this car to make it look like a BTTF III car, and reproduced the parts for the Pepsi box, using my 3D printer, and old radio tubes and electronics from the 1950s.

I share this cars with people who come to Delorean Weekend to inspire them to maintain and upgrade their Delorean to "Live the Dream."

Over the years, I have admired all the work you did to develop Time Machine parts, especially with all the LED and PLC components that exist today. I was limited by TTL logic back in the 90s.

My Current "Dream Delorean" project is another attempt to share my experience with other D owners to update their cars. As JZD said to me back in Cleveland when studying my full size power windows. "You a damn good engineer. If I had had more people like you, I would still be in business."

I always remember him saying this to me, and continue to try to live up to his expectations.
    I would absolutely love to see a video of the full power windows.....That must be an engineering marvel! How can you keep the doors balanced????

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    I used Gary's CAD for min but then modified the bottom pieces to fit around the fascia. Because mine are from gator board I chose to permanently attach them to the main part of the vents. It works for me because I typically have to remove the vents completely to transport the whole thing. I don't drive with it in place so engine access is not an issue for me.
    Attachment 48789

BTW - if you are planning on having the engine cover cut our of metal too, make sure you don't forget the little wedges that weld to the edges to create a lip that sits over the ridge in the pontoon - just like the factory cover does.

Here's a more detailed pic of the reactor. Everything here is found at the home center. Note, I didn't worry too much that the plumbing hoses weren't exactly correct. My "oil separators" are empty engine coolant bottles I painted. The cross over tube fittings are PVC plumbing that I shaped on a bet sander, my alum hoses are too big, the hubcap is not screen accurate but was close enough, the reactor top is another hubcap piece, the heat sink fins around the reactor I fabricated from plywood.
    Attachment 48790

I have since got the correct hubcap and the Pioneer speaker grille that goes on the tachyon generator (both from E-bay)
    Attachment 48791

A close turbine for the top (from a friend) and the rubber mat used for the vent joint and on the tachyon gen (Amazon)
    Attachment 48792

The correct heat sinks (direct from supplier)
    Attachment 48793

I have found one oil separator (working on finding another) and have the correct aluminum hoses on order.

Let me know if you need any more help.
    Cheers
    Steven
    That really looks awesome. I cant believe how good it looks from using "every-day" items!

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Full Size Power Windows Video

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    I would absolutely love to see a video of the full power windows.....That must be an engineering marvel! How can you keep the doors balanced????
    Here is the link to the 45 minute video on installing full size power windows in a Delorean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S5KZhPozJc

Enjoy!

Bob

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone out there would be able to provide measurements/ dimensions (maybe CAD) for a set of screen-accurate exhaust vents, and engine cover. I intend to use 1/8 inch aluminum. I stumbled on some cad designs by Mr Weaver, but I don't think his are screen accurate ( Exhaust vents do not seem to drop below rear bumper cover). Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Charlie
    I can confirm that from my experience of Mr Weavers CAD file, the rear vents are most definitely inaccurate. They're not bad, they're just not accurate. The screw positions are wrong (look at the screw positions of the rear edge screws, they are not close enough to the rear edge). I am also aware that Mr Weaver purposefully produces inaccuracies (which he shares publically) in order for him to spot people who have used his reference. Hardly useful at all if you are trying to re-produce screen accurate parts. I would certainly recommend clarifying with Mark first if he is able to assist. I would use Mr Weavers CAD file with a great deal of scepticism and caution.

I would love to know if anyone can offer some exact screw measurements and positions for the rear vents though?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    Here is the link to the 45 minute video on installing full size power windows in a Delorean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S5KZhPozJc

Enjoy!

Bob
    That was incredible. It reminds me of a photo that I once saw of an early prototype delorean. (I think that this particular car had sliding horizontal windows).

I am working on designing and building "air scoops" that can be placed in the rear of the open toll booth window. These scoops would channel fresh air into the passenger compartment......a much needed "breath of fresh air"!

Quote Originally Posted by "What The Flux?" View Post
    I can confirm that from my experience of Mr Weavers CAD file, the rear vents are most definitely inaccurate. They're not bad, they're just not accurate. The screw positions are wrong (look at the screw positions of the rear edge screws, they are not close enough to the rear edge). I am also aware that Mr Weaver purposefully produces inaccuracies (which he shares publically) in order for him to spot people who have used his reference. Hardly useful at all if you are trying to re-produce screen accurate parts. I would certainly recommend clarifying with Mark first if he is able to assist. I would use Mr Weavers CAD file with a great deal of scepticism and caution.

I would love to know if anyone can offer some exact screw measurements and positions for the rear vents though?
    I had this discussion with Mark on the previous page (pg16). It would appear that Mr Weaver's exhaust vent designs are the best (and only) available on this forum. Please let me know if I am wrong.
    Thanks
    Charlie

I had this discussion with Mark on the previous page (pg16). It would appear that Mr Weaver's exhaust vent designs are the best (and only) available on this forum. Please let me know if I am wrong.
    Thanks
    Charlie
    Unfortunately, to some degree I would say that you are correct... for now. I definitely wouldn't consider them "the best", I'm sure there are many other people who have far more accurate information that is not in the public domain. Having seen Mark taking very precise measurements of the rear vents on the OUTATIME restoration documentary (which I HIGHLY recommend if you don't have it already!), I would really say that he is the true authority when it comes to the accuracy of the rear vents. If it helps the community, I don't mind adding dimensions to Mr Weavers CAD designs and asking if Mark would kindly verify/approve/amend the measurments as necessary (if he has the time or inclination of course!). I'm sure it would be very helpful to at least have some useful dimensions locked down for the rear vents.

My VIN:    6125

At the moment I do not have the ability to share all of the rear vent info related to the restoration. I did have the opportunity to measure the aluminum parts that make up the rear deck, vents, bulkhead, brackets, etc. but it's a lot of information in bits and pieces that isn't assembled yet in one master file. Some of the CAD files that I created have 'markups' that require corrections based comparisons made to the actual parts. The eventual plan is to make the final updates, put everything together on a CD, and the files will become a companion disc to a time machine related book that is in the works.

In addition to the files not being complete or updated to 100% accuracy, there are licensing issues to sort though with Universal.... so my hands are tied for several reasons.

Without getting into too much detail about what's different with Weaver's files vs the actual A car, I can say that some of the parts in his layout look to be designed to make the overall build simpler and easier to build than the A car was. It means less accuracy overall, but probably made it easier to build multiple replicas. For example, the louvers that attach to the rearmost part of the vents are supposed to be made from 6 individual squares of aluminum (per vent) mounted with two small pieces of angle aluminum per square, and two button head cap screws per angle. When all said and done it's a hell of a lot of clamping parts, welding plates to angle stock, drilling and tapping holes, etc. Weaver looks like he cut down on the number of pieces by making slotted plates that interlock together. Not accurate, but saves time if you're trying to build more than one replica and don't mind the parts being slightly different than the A car.

If you're looking for a good starting point to jump off from, Weaver's file is good place to start. There are ways to modify what he's shared to be more accurate as others have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    At the moment I do not have the ability to share all of the rear vent info related to the restoration. I did have the opportunity to measure the aluminum parts that make up the rear deck, vents, bulkhead, brackets, etc. but it's a lot of information in bits and pieces that isn't assembled yet in one master file. Some of the CAD files that I created have 'markups' that require corrections based comparisons made to the actual parts. The eventual plan is to make the final updates, put everything together on a CD, and the files will become a companion disc to a time machine related book that is in the works.

In addition to the files not being complete or updated to 100% accuracy, there are licensing issues to sort though with Universal.... so my hands are tied for several reasons.

Without getting into too much detail about what's different with Weaver's files vs the actual A car, I can say that some of the parts in his layout look to be designed to make the overall build simpler and easier to build than the A car was. It means less accuracy overall, but probably made it easier to build multiple replicas. For example, the louvers that attach to the rearmost part of the vents are supposed to be made from 6 individual squares of aluminum (per vent) mounted with two small pieces of angle aluminum per square, and two button head cap screws per angle. When all said and done it's a hell of a lot of clamping parts, welding plates to angle stock, drilling and tapping holes, etc. Weaver looks like he cut down on the number of pieces by making slotted plates that interlock together. Not accurate, but saves time if you're trying to build more than one replica and don't mind the parts being slightly different than the A car.

If you're looking for a good starting point to jump off from, Weaver's file is good place to start. There are ways to modify what he's shared to be more accurate as others have mentioned.
    OK Thanks
    I am about to spend quite a few dollars on aluminum and laser cutting, and I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. For our purposes, Mr Weaver is as good as it gets???? Correct?

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast