FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Thread: BTTF Time Machine Build Questions - Ask Me Anything

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    So I got that button off eBay, drilled a hole in my gauge for it, put it in, only to discover it's too tall and the cover wouldn't back on. So I dremeled the sides of the button and pushed it into its down position, and it kinda fits, but the faceplate still doesn't sit down all the way.

I'm going to guess that's normal?
    For those gauges just fit the lens with an LED behind it, there's less space than the screen accurate version gauge.

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by minispeedstar View Post
    For those gauges just fit the lens with an LED behind it, there's less space than the screen accurate version gauge.
    Makes sense

So as to an earlier question - what did they use to make the labels for the TCD as well as the little clear "empty" label?

For now I've printed everything but the empty label onto photo paper and plan on picking up a sticker maker at Hobby Lobby. I did the graphics in Illustrator using the Microgramma Bold extended font.

Attached Images

My VIN:    6125

So as to an earlier question - what did they use to make the labels for the TCD as well as the little clear "empty" label?

For now I've printed everything but the empty label onto photo paper and plan on picking up a sticker maker at Hobby Lobby. I did the graphics in Illustrator using the Microgramma Bold extended font.
    The actual machine is a Kroy Model 80 label printer. It's 80's tech that's long since become obsolete so finding a working machine and the special printing tape in the right colors is an expensive (and time consuming) way to go. You also have to find the correct font printing wheel. A much better option is to print on vinyl and cut to size.

I think only a couple of the correct font wheels have ever been found, and the white-on-black and white-on-red tape is even harder to find.
    Last edited by Mark D; 04-17-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The actual machine is a Kroy Model 80 label printer. It's 80's tech that's long since become obsolete so finding a working machine and the special printing tape in the right colors is an expensive (and time consuming) way to go. You also have to find the correct font printing wheel. A much better option is to print on vinyl and cut to size.

I think only a couple of the correct font wheels have ever been found, and the white-on-black and white-on-red tape is even harder to find.
    I actually remember having one of those in a print shop I worked at back in the late 80's. Good memories.

My VIN:    6125

I actually remember having one of those in a print shop I worked at back in the late 80's. Good memories.
    From what I remember when we were doing some hard searching a few years ago the machines were pretty common back in the 70's and 80's so they're not too hard to get these days. They just run about 50 bucks or so. To find the right font wheel can be $5 or $500 depending on what kind of crack the seller is smoking.

The real kicker though is finding the right printing tape. I don't know if anyone has ever found the correct stuff that was not totally degraded. Apparently there is lots of black on white tape and black on clear tape out there but nobody seemed to hoard the more obscure colors needed TCD.

Difficulty of finding parts aside, just the $50 cost of the printer is hard to justify against a couple bucks to print a vinyl sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    From what I remember when we were doing some hard searching a few years ago the machines were pretty common back in the 70's and 80's so they're not too hard to get these days. They just run about 50 bucks or so. To find the right font wheel can be $5 or $500 depending on what kind of crack the seller is smoking.

The real kicker though is finding the right printing tape. I don't know if anyone has ever found the correct stuff that was not totally degraded. Apparently there is lots of black on white tape and black on clear tape out there but nobody seemed to hoard the more obscure colors needed TCD.

Difficulty of finding parts aside, just the $50 cost of the printer is hard to justify against a couple bucks to print a vinyl sheet.
    Agreed

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I always thought they used a Dynamo label maker or is that just what most folks use for close enough replication?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I always thought they used a Dynamo label maker or is that just what most folks use for close enough replication?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For the labels on the flux capacitor and round gauges, those use the embossing labeler. The rest are the flat labels on both the plutonium chamber meter, and the TCD labels are all flat as well.

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

For the labels on the flux capacitor and round gauges, those use the embossing labeler. The rest are the flat labels on both the plutonium chamber meter, and the TCD labels are all flat as well.
    IIRC, the embossing labeler in this case wasn't a Dymo, but a Rotex. I picked up a Rotex 880 on eBay a couple years ago. The font seems to be closer to what you see on screen than what the Dymo has. (Apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread)

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast