FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric DeLorean

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Mario, I assume this is your D in the recent Fully Charged visit to EV West?

It will be cool if they end up developing a bolt-on DeLorean conversion kit out of this. Over time as battery prices drop and there are even more used Tesla drive units out there, this would be a serious consideration of mine. At least for now the ICE is still going strong on mine, but if it suffers a catastrophic failure, I hope a bolt-on conversion will be a replacement option!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    Mario, I assume this is your D in the recent Fully Charged visit to EV West?

It will be cool if they end up developing a bolt-on DeLorean conversion kit out of this. Over time as battery prices drop and there are even more used Tesla drive units out there, this would be a serious consideration of mine. At least for now the ICE is still going strong on mine, but if it suffers a catastrophic failure, I hope a bolt-on conversion will be a replacement option!
    It is, yes! Poor thing's all dusty, been sitting there for years... fun to see it on video, though.
    I don't know if there will be enough demand for DeLorean conversions to justify them making a kit, but who knows! At the very least, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for them to convert another after this one is done.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Rich Rebuilds also did a recent video at EVWEST. They show the Delorean in that one Too.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10201

Just saw it. Man it's exciting. The evwest conversion kits are definitely on the more expensive end. I've been completely sold on the ev conversion for a while now and I think it's only going to get better overtime. Grahams ev delorean with a 300kw inverter and leaf motor is 100lbs than stock with 50/50 weight distribution. There are just so many benefits to the ev conversion over any engine swaps.

I've been sidetracked by trying to get a digital dash but I need to get back to working on my actual conversion.

My VIN:    10644

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    There are just so many benefits to the ev conversion over any engine swaps.
    But every idiot I run into tells me that I "need to LS swap that thing". Seriously, it's always that exact same line.
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    But every idiot I run into tells me that I "need to LS swap that thing". Seriously, it's always that exact same line.
    While it is a lot of power, an ls swap will add at least 100lbs to the rear and you're still stuck with the un1 gearbox that can't fully handle all the power from the ls. Plus its really crammed in there. Ev conversion has a bit more flexibility if you're just using a reduction gear without the stock gearbox.

I think evwest would find that making the 3d scan of the engine bay would be really desirable for any delorean owner.

My VIN:    5510

To help the thread, I have been following RichRebuilds for a while and some other electric vehicle channels on YouTube. I believe this is OP's Delorean:

https://youtu.be/SdMc4ttzd4s?t=242

(Link should take you to the 4:00 mark in a video at EV West, talking about an EV conversion Delorean, and how it has essentially zero miles)

One of the other channels was Fully Charged, and they show OP's Delorean here:

https://youtu.be/mOx5uCufB2Q?t=720

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    While it is a lot of power, an ls swap will add at least 100lbs to the rear and you're still stuck with the un1 gearbox that can't fully handle all the power from the ls. Plus its really crammed in there. Ev conversion has a bit more flexibility if you're just using a reduction gear without the stock gearbox.
    Is this based on your experience LS swapping DeLoreans?

Also, how many EV swaps add less than 100lbs worth of batteries?

I was certain you told me about the LS1 swap adding about 100lbs a while back.

Ive got a leaf motor and inverter which weigh 180lbs and 30lbs respectively. the batteries, which I don't have yet, will weigh about 400lbs for a total weight of 610lbs. I think I read the prv and un1 weigh about 700lbs when I was reading on how to pull them out. That roughly works out with gotgrahams car being 100lbs lighter than stock using the leaf motor and batteries.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast