FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Electric DeLorean

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Electric DeLorean

I've wanted a DeLorean ever since I was a kid and I saw Back to the Future. When I finally had the money to get a nice one, I found the electric DeLorean that DMCH presented in 2011. They said they'd be putting the cars into production in 2013, but as of mid-2014, there had been no further news of that.

So I called up DMCH and got in contact with Stephen Wynne. Apparently they had scrapped the plans to build more as they would be expensive (~$100k) and there didn't seem to be enough interest. I asked if they'd be willing to make another one-off for me, and they agreed to!

As some of you may know, there were several issues with the 2011 prototype like battery charging and wiring problems. This new one is being done by EV West, which is a high-quality and reputable company. I've visited them, seen their work, and ridden in one of their converted cars, and they're very good. You can check our their press page to see some of the things they've built. I'm confident this build is in good hands.

As for the DeLorean side, DMCH is providing a roller (no engine or related components) built entirely out of never-used NOS. Essentially, a brand new DeLorean! They'll send it directly to EV West where they'll quickly do the conversion.

Quick Specs:
    - ~100mi range (tentative)
    - Less than 5s 0-60 (tentative)
    - ~250HP (tentative)
    - Scheduled for completion at the end of March
    - DeLorean made from never-used NOS
    - Stock manual transmission will be kept

Not all the details have been worked out on the EV side yet, hence the uncertainty in the related specs. But we're going for a fairly high-performance setup. EV West is currently working on a Ferrari conversion that uses a triple-motor setup, which I'll be checking out once they finish it. They are thinking of a similar setup for my car.

That's all the info I've got. I'll update this thread as more news rolls in.

Here's a couple pictures of the body that DMCH sent me last month. Just the plain fiberglass body, unfortunately, not the new, lighter one they have been working on. They don't want me to guinea-pig it for them, so they're going with the tried-and-true.

Hope you guys are as excited as I am!
    Last edited by Mario; 01-10-2015 at 02:46 AM.