FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric DeLorean

My VIN:    10644

Soooo nice. I'm really excited for you!

My VIN:    2483

WOW, very cool stuff you have going on there. This is exciting to see happen.

Are you going to take this car to DCS this summer?

So what are your plans for this car? AC or DC? lithium or lead acid? What else are you planning to do?

I plan to do an EV conversion to my car but it will be a home brew set up.

It will be nothing like what EV West does, they seem really good at what their doing.

My plan is for simplicity of function and cost. So DC motor and lead acid.

First thing first, I will need the frame fixed up and the car put back together, details details.

In the second photo is the trans only supported by the two mounts and the axle shafts?

It seems to be sitting low, is that ok to have mounted like that by itself?

Quote Originally Posted by delgato View Post
    Are you going to take this car to DCS this summer?
    That's in Ohio, right? Way too far away. I'd have to get the car shipped out there. I don't think it's worth the effort to me. I'll gladly go to any meetups within 100 miles of me, though!

So what are your plans for this car? AC or DC? lithium or lead acid? What else are you planning to do?
    Either Li-ion or LiFePO4. AC motors so I get regenerative braking.
    We're thinking of a three-motor setup similar to this Ferrari they recently completed:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/76yFGGAXN1/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/8NGIX_AXCr/
    Puts down about 300hp!

In the second photo is the trans only supported by the two mounts and the axle shafts?

It seems to be sitting low, is that ok to have mounted like that by itself?
    Not sure. Maybe DMC put something under it before they shipped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Not sure how it got so dirty between DMC and Ev West... open transport?
    Am I the only owner stressed seeing a pic that looks like someone wiped the hood not in a straight line with the grain?

Some small updates.
    EV West has had the car for a little while now and we've had a few phone calls to talk about specifications and how things are going to go together.

DeLoreans don't have a whole lot of extra space for things like batteries, so it's been a bit of a challenge finding space for them.
    They are using Tesla battery modules. A Tesla battery pack is made up of a whole lot of smaller battery modules. Each module is about 3kWh each, and EV West has found space for 14 modules, giving 42kWh of batteries.
    Six modules will go under/in the frunk. They're getting rid of the stock A/C condenser and fitting a smaller one so they can fit the modules there. A few will also be put in the actual frunk space, but I will still be able to keep most of the usable space.
    Six will go in the passenger compartment behind the seats, and two will be against the firewall in the engine bay.
    It would be nice, of course, if there weren't batteries in the frunk or passenger area, but there is very little extra space in a DeLorean so it's a necessary compromise to get the range I wanted. The car should be able to go around 140 miles on a charge.

They will be including an A/C compressor. I've never driven a DeLorean, but the wisdom of the community says A/C is necessary in these cars, so in it goes! It will have heating as well.

The original plan was to have dual AC-51's, giving around 180HP peak. However, EV West is going to be testing some new motors soon that should pack quite a punch, and with two of those we just might be able to crack 300HP. We'll see how the dyno run goes.

In other news, insuring a custom-drivetrain, high-performance classic car at a reasonable price is nigh-impossible as a young male... it's gonna be just like normal DeLorean ownership, even after you've bought it you're still paying thousands a year to keep driving the thing. :P

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Wow, 42kWh of capacity is a lot! You'll have more capacity/range then any other non-Tesla EV out there! I'm just surprised they couldn't fit more in the engine compartment since electric motors are usually a lot smaller then gas engines. Did they not want to put some sort of mounting system above the motor that would allow for battery removal for maintenance? Regardless, I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of this install!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Very interesting. I would be first to say screw the trunk space...just give me the power and range!
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    In other news, insuring a custom-drivetrain, high-performance classic car at a reasonable price is nigh-impossible as a young male... it's gonna be just like normal DeLorean ownership, even after you've bought it you're still paying thousands a year to keep driving the thing. :P
    If you're at least 25, I'd suggest looking into classic car insurance that allows unlimited miles, and costs about $150 a year...

My VIN:    10322

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I was curious what a Tesla module looked like and found some links (images uploaded as well for you lazier folk).

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...ry-pack.34934/
    https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre....34934/page-25

140 miles is pretty great, though. I think the Nissan Leaf caps at 85 miles and there's a Ford something with 60 miles I think? My former boss' daughter has an early 60 mile Model S.
    Attached Images
    http://www.artgemsjewelers.com/
    Fine Geek Jewelry.

If the above post was DeLorean related it should be noted that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tumblr: Going88 || Instagram: Going.88

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    Wow, 42kWh of capacity is a lot! You'll have more capacity/range then any other non-Tesla EV out there! I'm just surprised they couldn't fit more in the engine compartment since electric motors are usually a lot smaller then gas engines. Did they not want to put some sort of mounting system above the motor that would allow for battery removal for maintenance? Regardless, I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of this install!
    These modules are fairly long (about 39 inches), so I don't think they could fit on the sides running parallel to the length of the car. And I don't think they'd fit above the motors - they're actually going to be fairly tall because there will be two stacked on top of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    If you're at least 25, I'd suggest looking into classic car insurance that allows unlimited miles, and costs about $150 a year...
    22, unfortunately. That's why it's so difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Peripatetic View Post
    I was curious what a Tesla module looked like and found some links (images uploaded as well for you lazier folk).
    I think that might be a slightly different/older model. Here's what they're going to be putting in:
    http://www.evwest.com/catalog/produc...lkc63b12pmnb77

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast