FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric DeLorean

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Bob has several cars (at least 3 that I know of). One is probably the earliest BTTF replica, one is more or less normal (other than lots of electronic gadgets) and one is fully electric.
    As Dave mentioned, there are 3 that I know of as well. As of last month, this was the Brandys plan for 2015:

- The DeLorean Time Machine Replica (1997) will remain in Vegas this year (not returning to Chicago for the Summer). This has Bob's full-size windows.

- The DeLorean EV will remain in Vegas this year. Battery upgrades (and/or additional banks added) planned for 2015. This has Bob's full-size windows.

- The DeLorean Mac Mini will remain in Chicago. This one has all the E-gadgets Dave mentioned. This one does not have Bob's full-size windows. (yet?)
    Last edited by Rich W; 03-18-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: oops ... type-o fix, Mac Mini, not Mini Mac

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Sorry Dave but I'm a fly in your "universal" ointment!!!! I know that actuators are generally more reliable, efficient and lighter than solenoids. I like the lighter aspect best of all being brought up with motocross racing, sports cars, and the Lotus's chairman's Colin Chapman's philosophy of "lighter is better".

In the Delorean application however I find that the available actuators are barely strong enough to do the job and are often incapable of opening a Delorean doorconsistently. If any adjustments, or the door fit, are less than ideal they have trouble opening. They are generally designed for automotive applications using one latch systems with much lighter loads than a DMC door typically places on them.

I've had the DMC solenoids rebuilt with beefier windings, Hi-temp bobbins, and other improvements and have had one failure in about twenty five years with hundreds of them sold. The bad one had been immersed under water for some time! My rebuilts are much more reliable and stronger than stock.

One area where actuators can't compete with solenoids is speed as solenoids work almost instantly whereas most automotive solenoids use a slower screw drive which compounds problems from any uneveness in the dual latch release used in a Delorean door. For these reasons I think solenoids are still superior to actuators in this unique automotive application. Now I'm working on the lightness advantage.

My solenoid rebuilder is also an engineer and a draftsman and we have blueprints for an all new version using a waterproof aluminum housing that will at least partly negate the weight disadvantage. I am considering making these as part of my reintrodution of the first ever door "launch" system that me and "Bobzilla" developed for our own cars in 1999 but never released as a production run. We still have the two working prototypes that we installed in our own cars but somehow the "Millenium bug" got in the way of it's release. We hope to change that soon.
    Rob Grady

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Because you said this, I'll mention that it looks like they have an OEM door lock solenoid in there rather than upgraded actuators. I never had problems with my solenoids before I replaced them, and I doubt you would either, but I think it is universally agreed that actuators are superior (lighter, less prone to failure). It is possible this video was taken before they had a chance to install an actuator, or maybe you gave them direction not to install them for cost reasons, but thought you may want to know.

Thanks for posting the video! This is going to be an amazing car. Hard to beat all new parts. Keep the updates coming!

My VIN:    05457

Very interesting Rob! Thanks for the heads up, I was not aware of that. I guess it isn't as universal as I expected. I haven't had issues with the actuators unlocking my doors, however the mechanicals in them seem pretty solid (same with those I know that have them installed) so that could be why.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Very interesting Rob! Thanks for the heads up, I was not aware of that. I guess it isn't as universal as I expected. I haven't had issues with the actuators unlocking my doors, however the mechanicals in them seem pretty solid (same with those I know that have them installed) so that could be why.
    I've also had no problem with my actuators. I never had to adjust anything other than the new actuator rod. Yes they are slow and will not work with the LockZilla unless you double up on the timing caps in the Zilla.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    In the Delorean application however I find that the available actuators are barely strong enough to do the job and are often incapable of opening a Delorean doorconsistently. If any adjustments, or the door fit, are less than ideal they have trouble opening.
    I'll vouch for this. It took many adjustments, lubrications, etc for me to get my door lock actuators and door launcher actuators to work consistently. I also had to remove the front locking rod completely, otherwise it would spring back and prevent the door from locking. This isn't really a necessary part anyway as the door remains locked with only the rear latch mechanism locking (safety note before someone jumps all over me: both front and rear latches still function, only now the rear latch is the only one that will lock with the lock button.) I feel that they are bulletproof now (famous last words) but I am sure many people would have given up long before I got them adjusted correctly. Rob is on to something with better solenoids.
    Last edited by Patrick C; 03-18-2015 at 08:21 PM.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Well, I guess we'll see if I have problems with the door locks. I can always install upgraded parts later, no big deal!

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm confused. Is there an owner named Bob Brady?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Congrats on your project. Overall I like the electric Delorean, but that original 100k was high. For that price you could buy Tesla's AC components and achieve 200 mile plus range. Converting a typical vehicle to electric DC can be done for 10k providing you do your own labor.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Sorry Dave but I'm a fly in your "universal" ointment!!!! I know that actuators are generally more reliable, efficient and lighter than solenoids. I like the lighter aspect best of all being brought up with motocross racing, sports cars, and the Lotus's chairman's Colin Chapman's philosophy of "lighter is better".

In the Delorean application however I find that the available actuators are barely strong enough to do the job and are often incapable of opening a Delorean doorconsistently. If any adjustments, or the door fit, are less than ideal they have trouble opening. They are generally designed for automotive applications using one latch systems with much lighter loads than a DMC door typically places on them.

I've had the DMC solenoids rebuilt with beefier windings, Hi-temp bobbins, and other improvements and have had one failure in about twenty five years with hundreds of them sold. The bad one had been immersed under water for some time! My rebuilts are much more reliable and stronger than stock.

One area where actuators can't compete with solenoids is speed as solenoids work almost instantly whereas most automotive solenoids use a slower screw drive which compounds problems from any uneveness in the dual latch release used in a Delorean door. For these reasons I think solenoids are still superior to actuators in this unique automotive application. Now I'm working on the lightness advantage.

My solenoid rebuilder is also an engineer and a draftsman and we have blueprints for an all new version using a waterproof aluminum housing that will at least partly negate the weight disadvantage. I am considering making these as part of my reintrodution of the first ever door "launch" system that me and "Bobzilla" developed for our own cars in 1999 but never released as a production run. We still have the two working prototypes that we installed in our own cars but somehow the "Millenium bug" got in the way of it's release. We hope to change that soon.
    Rob Grady
    Please please please, for the love of all that is holy, make a thread on this! I'd love to get one of your systems -- Wings-A-Loft requires drilling holes, something I'm not fond of doing in an "entirely-reversible modded" D

Shiny, freshly-coated frame!
    Stephen says the build is full steam ahead now that they have all the parts.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast