FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bent sway bar??

My VIN:    814

Club(s):   (DCH)

bar3.jpg

And more... (sorry, one inline, one as an attachment)

You can see from these 2 images that rather than lie flat on the (flat) floor, the bar has a "rocking" movement.

So this will be throwing out my camber and castor....

I know the bar itself may not originally have been precision engineered, but it was probably better than this!

andy
    Attached Images

My VIN:    814

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Get out your Delorean Workshop Manual and go to R:02:02-:03 for frame dimensions. Since you mentioned an accident and subsequent repair, did the car ever drive right afterwards? If not then you can assume the repair was not exactly done well. If the car was OK and these symptoms appeared later it can be from worn parts. The sway bar should be symmetrical, ie, both sides should have the same bends. If not you can try straightening it but you should probably be replacing it. If the sway bar is bent you should make sure the lower control arms are not bent.
    David Teitelbaum
    Hi David,

Thanks for the advice, I will check the dimensions as you suggest.

>>Since you mentioned an accident and subsequent repair, did the car ever drive right afterwards?

I have only had the car 6 weeks. I surmised a previous repair due to a later bonnet fitted and evidence of slight creases in the crumple extension. I now know that the latter may not actually be caused by a frontal impact in all cases...

>>...it can be from worn parts...

Agreed. On dismantling, all rubbers look rather new, certainly very servicable. Ball joints and wheel bearings were absolutely shot, so replaced. Lower UJ had play, so was replaced. Tie rod ends and rack had no detectible play.

>>If the sway bar is bent you should make sure the lower control arms are not bent

Thanks, they appear to check out.

Advice is very much appreciated, best wishes,

andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2