FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clackity Clackity Clackity clack clack noise from under the dash...

My VIN:    16882.

Clackity Clackity Clackity clack clack noise from under the dash...

The speedometer needle still works and there appear to be no changes in its operation. The noise is only at speed, and gradually slows down as the car slows down. Anyone care to offer their opinion of the likely source of this noise? I still have so much to learn. Thank you. Also, if anyone can tell me how to post this question to the correct thread using the newly revamped Tapatalk I'd appreciate the info. When I go to choose a thread, none are listed...
    Last edited by Hokie; 01-13-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

My bet is on the lambda counter box. Only way to know for sure is to remove front drivers wheel, hook up a drill to the angle drive, stick your head in the footwell and listen.

If it is the Lambda counter box, how do you shut it up?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    If it is the Lambda counter box, how do you shut it up?
    Take it apart and clean out the old grease, regrease it. If you don't care about the counter you can actually remove all the internal parts except for the drive shaft that connects the two cables together. Then there is nothing in there to make noise.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Well, I removed the Lambda counter and opened it, and all I see is plenty of grease and not nearly as many moving parts as I expected. Conclusion: there is nothing in here that is responsible for the noise. I've noticed my speedometer becoming more erratic, so I'm thinking the noise must have something to do with the cable running up to the speedometer from the counter? Any ideas from here folks? Thanks.
    Last edited by Hokie; 02-04-2015 at 07:16 PM.

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

My noise was the angle drive. It sounded like under the dash. I was coming back from DCS in Dayton and heard the noise about 2 hours later it died.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

Well after removing the Lambda box I took a drive. No noise. I put it back in, attached the cables and took the car out again. What I've learned: both the cables attach to the metal tube (in the picture.) Both cables have an inner metal cable that extends outward into the Lambda tube (metal shaft.) this inner metal cable rotates in the shaft, which turns the shaft and operates the Lambda box. For some reason there is some "play" in the shaft between the cable and the sides of the shaft, and the banging against one another is apparently causing the noise I've been hearing. I squirted a bit of WD-40 down the tube before reinstalling, took a drive. There is still a bit of noise but greatly diminished.

Update: everything's worked fine for about 50 miles and then the speedo went out. Now it seems I may have a lower speedo cable malfunction or worse, the angle drive. Or, it may be that the metal tube in the Lambda is stripped. I have a lot of expensive experimenting to do...

I'd like to ask a moderator/administrator of the forum to remove this thread please. Would that be OK? Thank you.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    I'd like to ask a moderator/administrator of the forum to remove this thread please. Would that be OK? Thank you.
    Threads are generally kept around so that they can help others diagnose similar problems when doing searches. Why do you need the thread deleted?
    - Chris

what

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast