FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Max AC always works, Normal AC hit or miss

My VIN:    5780

Max AC always works, Normal AC hit or miss

I am having an interesting problem with the AC system on my car. No matter what the condition, when I turn on the Max AC, it always works and is ice cold. But when I turn it to the normal AC, it's hit or miss on whether or not anything comes out of the vents. It's like the fans just stop blowing on normal AC. The fans will blow on vent, heat, defrost, and max AC. My first thought is maybe a relay that's on the fritz. Is this a good place to start? Where else could the problem be?

Thanks.

My VIN:    03572

Do you mean the amount of air coming out of the vents changes from Max to Norm? Does it do it with a door or window open? If not then your car is sealed up to tight.

That would have to be a problem with the mode switch.

There are no electrical differences switching from Max to Norm.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Yes, on Max the air flows normally, but on normal, sometimes no air comes out regardless of the fan speed. Sometimes it'll work just fine on normal, and on max the fans sound like they're going a little harder, but mostly on normal ac, nothing comes out of the vents.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by orbitron3000 View Post
    Yes, on Max the air flows normally, but on normal, sometimes no air comes out regardless of the fan speed. Sometimes it'll work just fine on normal, and on max the fans sound like they're going a little harder, but mostly on normal ac, nothing comes out of the vents.
    Has your AC switch ever been rebuilt? Does it make any hissing noises? You could be experiencing a leak in the switch. I would get on the phone with your vendor of choice to see about having it rebuilt. I think Hervey rebuilt mine for about $35.

There is a hissing noise when I go from either of the AC's to the vent. I'm not sure if it's even been rebuilt. Would it be a difficult procedure to rebuild the switch on my own?

My VIN:    3299

I have had this problem the entire time I've owned my car. Let me guess - you don't have "Heater" too ? I have wondered for so long what this is. I have the mode switch diaphragm here ready to rebuild. Hope the Ohio DeLorean Club is ready .

And yep - mine hisses too.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The switch isn't supposed to hiss. Rebuild the thing and the problems should go away, unless there is something else that is broke.

Basically there is a rubber diaphram that needs to be replaced. It is pretty simple to do but I decided to let Hervey rebuild it. I'm not sure what DMCH sells the part for but they do have detailed instructions on their support site if you choose to use their part.

www.delorean.com/pdf/modeswitch-rebuild.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    I have had this problem the entire time I've owned my car. Let me guess - you don't have "Heater" too ? I have wondered for so long what this is. I have the mode switch diaphragm here ready to rebuild. Hope the Ohio DeLorean Club is ready .

And yep - mine hisses too.
    I seem to have all modes, except for "Normal AC" (I had to go and look -- never used the heater before )

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    The switch isn't supposed to hiss. Rebuild the thing and the problems should go away, unless there is something else that is broke.

Basically there is a rubber diaphram that needs to be replaced. It is pretty simple to do but I decided to let Hervey rebuild it. I'm not sure what DMCH sells the part for but they do have detailed instructions on their support site if you choose to use their part.

Awesome, thanks!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

Top Roman Steve aint stupid but that was the closest thing to a "what he said" smiley I could find....
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    05457

May not be relavant, but I had a similar issue when I first bought my car with my heat not working (no fans, nothing). Turned out a couple wires had swapped locations behind the control unit. When I verified and properly hooked up my wires to the right locations, my heater then worked. Perhaps something similar could happen with the A/C?
    David Proehl

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast