FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Stub nut

My VIN:    2808 6921

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Stub nut

In the process of moving I seem to have lost the passenger stub nut, but I purchased a new one from Houston. My problem is the socket I used to pull the old nut off is too small for the new nut. Anyone happen to know the socket size off hand?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Mcfly4u View Post
    In the process of moving I seem to have lost the passenger stub nut, but I purchased a new one from Houston. My problem is the socket I used to pull the old nut off is too small for the new nut. Anyone happen to know the socket size off hand?
    I think I used 36mm for mine but it was a little bigger than the nut. I'm sure others will chime in. Mine that I removed also were from DMCH.
    -----Dan B.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I think I used 36mm for mine but it was a little bigger than the nut. I'm sure others will chime in. Mine that I removed also were from DMCH.
    There were two sizes used. 32 (108514) and 36 (110191)

This is one of those things that we'd ask about on a phone call.
    Last edited by DMCMW Dave; 01-16-2015 at 03:53 PM.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

stub nuts

I had a persistent brake squeal that turned out to be the nut holding the stub axle WAS FINGER TIGHT!

My VIN:    2808 6921

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Thanks for the replies! I grabbed a 36mm socket.

My VIN:    3937

Just another thought on those nuts...

The inside one, http://store.delorean.com/p-7283-nut...or-speedo.aspx , for the driver side is also 32 mm. It holds the angle drive in place, so differs slightly from the passenger side one.

Not sure about the passenger side, but on the driver side, you can't get a socket on the inside nut, so you get leverage with an open ended wrench.

What I wanted to mention was while a 1 1/4" wrench seemed to work well enough with the original nuts, the replacement ones are a closer tolerance and the 1 1/4" wrench size is not quite big enough to get on the new nuts (works out to 31.75 mm). It just means you need a proper 32 mm open ended wrench. They aren't the easiest thing to find in Canada even with us using the Metric system as many places don't stock those larger sizes and they don't tend to come that big in standard sets. Not sure about finding that size in the US.

You can get decent leverage on it from the inside with an adjustable wrench, not great, but enough. You tighten the inside one as best you can and then with the higher torque you can generate from the socket end of a wrench on the outside nut, you pull it together to the recommended torque value. Taking it off is more easily done by reversing that, i.e. loosen the outside one first (with a cheater bar if necessary) and then the inside one becomes relatively easy to get off.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior