FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Passenger mirror loose

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    3307 has the same issue on the passenger side. I also could not get it to Tighten. My buddy's car, Vin 3500, also has the passenger side issue. Perhaps there was a run of loose Passenger mirror swivels around our VINs?
    Don't think so 20069 also has the mirror problem pass. side.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The clip nut rots away. My guess is that water settles in that recess.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

The clip nut in question can also fail just because of the amount of preload placed on it by the "Bellville" washers that it retains. They are concave washers that keep the mirror from vibrating due to road frequencies but still allow the mirror to pivot when encountering an obstacle. Sometimes the increased tension, created by the pivoting action over the indents that keep it in place, actually cause the spring nut to fail. It's been a while since I've repaired one of these and don't remember the size of the nut offhand. The bigger problem is the amount of pressure it takes to install a new nut by forcing the washers to flatten out which is how they develop their tension. It is not usually possible to do this without first removing the mirror glass and backing plate to compress the washers while installing the nut. Even then it's not a cakewalk. If anyone knows a shortcut for this please let me know. It's very easy to break the glass if it is not removed beforehand. Between the mirror asm R&R and the actual repair plan on spending at least 2 or more hours on it once you've sourced a proper clip nut.

The best time to make this repair is when your planning to replace your mirrors because they are discolored or you're upgrading to convex mirrors.
    That reminds me to mention that the extended convex and heated (or not) mirrors that we have on order from Europe are due to arrive in the next two weeks and anyone who wants them should contact me through our website contact form or by phone to place the order as the supply will be limited. We have some preorders on file already but I know ther are more of you that expressed interest so please don't delay or you have to wait for the next batch to come in. They are not yet listed on our site so don't try to order them online. Just call (800)350-7429 to place your order.
    Rob Grady

My VIN:    11789

I have to deal with this same problem - and yes it's the damn passenger side.

Does anybody know what those components are (technical name/ sizes) that clamp the mirror in? To me it looks like a type of circlip (I can't make out if it's a C clip or an O Clip) and possibly a wave washer underneath?

Whilst I have the door cards off and totally refurbing my D - it makes sense to do this?

Any help- would be really appreciated as I don't want to lay out on a new one - when in theory this can be repaired?

Cheers

Spud
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    The clip nut in question can also fail just because of the amount of preload placed on it by the "Bellville" washers that it retains. They are concave washers that keep the mirror from vibrating due to road frequencies but still allow the mirror to pivot when encountering an obstacle. Sometimes the increased tension, created by the pivoting action over the indents that keep it in place, actually cause the spring nut to fail. It's been a while since I've repaired one of these and don't remember the size of the nut offhand. The bigger problem is the amount of pressure it takes to install a new nut by forcing the washers to flatten out which is how they develop their tension. It is not usually possible to do this without first removing the mirror glass and backing plate to compress the washers while installing the nut. Even then it's not a cakewalk. If anyone knows a shortcut for this please let me know. It's very easy to break the glass if it is not removed beforehand. Between the mirror asm R&R and the actual repair plan on spending at least 2 or more hours on it once you've sourced a proper clip nut.

The best time to make this repair is when your planning to replace your mirrors because they are discolored or you're upgrading to convex mirrors.
    That reminds me to mention that the extended convex and heated (or not) mirrors that we have on order from Europe are due to arrive in the next two weeks and anyone who wants them should contact me through our website contact form or by phone to place the order as the supply will be limited. We have some preorders on file already but I know ther are more of you that expressed interest so please don't delay or you have to wait for the next batch to come in. They are not yet listed on our site so don't try to order them online. Just call (800)350-7429 to place your order.
    Rob Grady
    I found this reply to be really informative. With regard to removing the whole mirror assembly, that is not a problem - and I'm a new owner doing this for the first time. What I would like is some advice on the removal of the glass - hopefully without breaking it. Can anybody advise me on the process for this please? Cheers.
    Last edited by SpudMurphy; 09-13-2017 at 06:24 AM.
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

I managed to remove the glass ok, after receiving advice on a Facebook forum.

I then removed the mirror from the car and investigated the sloppiness in the hinging action.

I have taken photos and need to get the starclip to repair it. Once I have done that (and taken more photos) I'll add it on this forum - as there seems to be little out there detailing the process for fixing it.

Cheers

Spud
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by SpudMurphy View Post
    ..... need to get the starclip to repair it. Once I have done that (and taken more photos) I'll add it on this forum - as there seems to be little out there detailing the process for fixing it.

Cheers

Spud
    Just to confirm that the clip holding the mechanism under tension is not a C clip. It's an "O" - It's called a star lock washer, speed lock, locking washer, or something like that!
    I went around a couple of vendors yesterday - even a BMW garage that was nearby - but I couldn't source one.
    Oh well, good old e bay - a pack of 10 for under 2 quid.

10mm internal diameter should be with me Saturday - British Post services permitting!
    Last edited by SpudMurphy; 09-15-2017 at 02:56 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2