FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone out there still running original Goodyear NCTs?

My VIN:    16,427

Anyone out there still running original Goodyear NCTs?

Just curious. After 35 years and about 11k miles, I finally replaced my original NCTs with Vredesteins (195/60 R14 front and 225/60 R15 rear) after a significant amount of research. Although there is some minor crazing on the sidewalls, the NCTs have never failed me once. In fact, were it not for the fact that the ride was getting pretty jittery due to permanent flat spots, I may have held out for a few more years. My last major outing was a 200 mile round road trip last July. No, I do not recommend doing this, and yes, I am well aware of the 7 year recommended change interval. However, I am curious what other DMC owners experience has been in this regard.

My VIN:    1710

I can't find the picture right now, but there is a photo floating around here of an NCT that delaminated and the steel belts exploded out of the tire like a clock spring. IIRC the left front fender looked pretty chewed up because of this. There is absolutely no justifiable excuse to still be running NCTs on these cars at anything above parking lot speeds. It's dangerous to you, your passenger, others on the road, and your car.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    I can't find the picture right now, but there is a photo floating around here of an NCT that delaminated and the steel belts exploded out of the tire like a clock spring. IIRC the left front fender looked pretty chewed up because of this. There is absolutely no justifiable excuse to still be running NCTs on these cars at anything above parking lot speeds. It's dangerous to you, your passenger, others on the road, and your car.
    The same thing can be said for the spare tire too.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Relatedly, I had my DD at a tire store recently (it's a 2008MY) and they told me that the pressure in my spare was low but refused to pump it up "because it was over 7 years old and because liability"

While I agree with David on the D spare, I think my DD spare is fine having spent all its time in a dark hole in the trunk . Well for a couple more years anyway.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

My 81 still had its originals on the rear when I got it. Have a new looking set from a d on the back of my 52 pick up right now, do burn outs nicely

My VIN:    05457

My car had NCTs on it when I bought it in 2008. I probably only put about 200 miles of short low mph drives on them before replacing them, but they appeared to be in great condition with almost no cracking. 18,000 miles on them at the time.
    David Proehl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    My car had NCTs on it when I bought it in 2008. I probably only put about 200 miles of short low mph drives on them before replacing them, but they appeared to be in great condition with almost no cracking. 18,000 miles on them at the time.
    Mine looked great too but when I replaced them with new tires I was really surprised how well it rode on the new tires. The old ones felt like round rocks compared to the new tires! The spare being 9 years old is a lot better than being original. In two cases that were posted on this forum, the spare didn't last more than a few miles before it blew out.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Mine looked great too but when I replaced them with new tires I was really surprised how well it rode on the new tires. The old ones felt like round rocks compared to the new tires!
    Yes! It was a shock to me how much better the car felt with new tires. It was like floating on air by comparison. I should have expected it, but didn't for some reason.

Also, given the 7 year rule mentioned above, I'm probably due for new tires again... but I like my Cooper 235s!
    David Proehl

More than a few of us are "stretching" that 7 year rule because tire choices are so limited. Inspect the tires regularly for bumps, blisters, cracking, and bulges. Watch the tire pressures and wear. Use a tire protectant with UV protection.
    David Teitelbaum

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    More than a few of us are "stretching" that 7 year rule because tire choices are so limited. Inspect the tires regularly for bumps, blisters, cracking, and bulges. Watch the tire pressures and wear. Use a tire protectant with UV protection.
    Some of those "protectants" use petroleum that break down rubber. proceed with caution.

I argue about this tire fear mongering with people quite often. The reality is that the 7 year rule is about as scientifically valid as the expiry date on your salad dressing - it's completely arbitrary and dependant upon use, storage, climate etc. I had a brand new Goodyear Wrangler SRA blow and entire sidewall at 30 mph. There are tens of thousands of vintage motorcycles riding around on 50-60 year old tires. Do you hear about some kind of crisis? No, never. All of Canada and the USA's used tires get shipped to mexico and live an entire second life, too. Sure old tires will blow out. Some new ones will too. New tires will probably always ride much better, be quieter etc, but I hear people constantly preach that old tire WILL blow out. No, probably not.

It's your car and it you want to blow $$$ on tires every 7 years regardless of mileage and conditions, go nuts but the reality is they're probably fine if you've taken care of them.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast