FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Special T Auto Fan Fail Fix 2X2?

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Special T Auto Fan Fail Fix 2X2?

Special T Auto Fan Fail Fix 2X2

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...x-position.jpg

I have a used, untested one. Who is using this and how do you like it?

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I've gone ahead and installed it for testing. I want's sure I was comfortable tying an unknown box to the battery with no protection, so I have a 40 amp circuit breaker installed in line.

It seems to work, but now the fan fail light is coming on - does it indicate a failure, or that the fans are now on?

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I've gone ahead and installed it for testing. I want's sure I was comfortable tying an unknown box to the battery with no protection, so I have a 40 amp circuit breaker installed in line.

It seems to work, but now the fan fail light is coming on - does it indicate a failure, or that the fans are now on?
    Tom -

I would turn your Air Conditioner on and look underneath the car to see if both fans are operating properly. If so, then I would remove that black box thing. I like a lot of Hervey's things, but I am not a big fan of his electrical "modifications".
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    3299

Means the fans are on. It's an indicator that both fans are working - a "Fans are working" light ironically =p. I love the extra peace of mind the 2x2 gave me.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Both fans work, it was just the "reverse' operation of the light that had me confused.

I'm curious to see how it does. I'm not in a position to fork out $$$ for a joe cool unit right now, and I do like the idea of splitting the load across two relays rather than one.

So if I were to install the right capacitor in line before the coil wire on one of the two relays, could I get it to operate more like the fanzilla that staggers the on and off of one of the two relays?

My VIN:    03572

Both fans work, it was just the "reverse' operation of the light that had me confused.

I'm curious to see how it does. I'm not in a position to fork out $$$ for a joe cool unit right now, and I do like the idea of splitting the load across two relays rather than one.

So if I were to install the right capacitor in line before the coil wire on one of the two relays, could I get it to operate more like the fanzilla that staggers the on and off of one of the two relays?
    The capacitor would have to be so large it's not practical. Besides it would make it faulty just like the OEM door lock unit. That turns on relays slowly and causes the contacts to burn.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The capacitor would have to be so large it's not practical. Besides it would make it faulty just like the OEM door lock unit. That turns on relays slowly and causes the contacts to burn.

Ha! Well - what do you know? You know all too well Dave that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to circuit design, but it appears that I have now attained a level of knowledge equal to that of a Lucas Electrical Engineer circa 1980! I can now dream up really bad ideas that might work for a while before failing miserably! Let me go pry a capacitor out of an old CRT from the garage and see if I can go do my best Lucas Engineer impression. To really pull it off I'll need the accent and have to have some dental work undone though.

(Martin, if your reading this - I'm kidding.)
    Last edited by TTait; 08-17-2011 at 03:42 AM.

My VIN:    16409

I'm not in a position to fork out $$$ for a joe cool unit right now, and I do like the idea of splitting the load across two relays rather than one.
    Tom, when you're ready to buy some DeLorean toys, it'd look into Dave's solid state fan relays. I've installed Toby's fan circuit mod which uses one relay per fan. Then I installed two of Dave's fan relays. One has a fan activation delay, so now I have the functionality of a Joe Cool, but with solid state tech.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

When I can start spending again...

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. This is probably common knowledge with experienced Delorean owners. A trick I learned is when your fans start acting funky or not working well, is unplug one of the fans and just run one fan temporarily. Check your fuses and circuit breakers also. When I was helping a local owner sell their Delorean, the car was having some fan issues. Eventually the owner bought a new radiator and fans, but until then he just used one fan and the car never overheated again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast