FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: Which Project Car? Realistically...

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1 - Sleek Sports car

5 41.67%
  • Option 2 - Delorean project.

7 58.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Project Car

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
    LOL... that was an idea....

The 308 is a nice car. I think if I had that car, I'd need the moustache to go along with it.

I don't get it though. Why does everyone think that the idea of the project is only to attract women. My main idea is to build something that will be appealing to everyone; something that won't look dated 10 years from now.
    I know most girls aren't into cars so my plan is to build something that women would look at and say, "thats a cool car"... not.. "what's that?"

I want to build something classy enough that when you drive up to the entrance of a 5 star hotel, it won't look out of place next to the Brands in the Valet parking area.
    There are not that may cars that do not look outdated after 10 years. I know that you do not want to hear it but the DeLorean is the only one I can think of, but that comes from somebody who loves the shape of it. My wife, e.g. thinks that it is an ugly 80s car. So taste is always subjective and it is hard to find cars that do not look "out of time" in 10 years. A real classic car wouldn't, in my opinion. Something like 40s-60s cars. They are classy unless you put too much bling onto them.

And like several posters said: most women do not care about the car and I am not sure if you want to hang out with a gal that is attracted to you because of your car.
    Some women like the attention a car, and therefore them, gets when driving it, but some find it embarrassing.

I would therefore not pinpoint the choice on the ladies but rather on what YOU would like to do. And YES, DeLoreans are more sausage magnets, so maybe not a good choice. But I do not even think that your second choice would be better. A classic MB (like 198 might be better, but that would increase the price and might limit your choice in the power plant.

Although on a side note: I would be interested how you would put a Volt powerplant into a DeLorean. That would call for another thread.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    How old are you, knightjp?
    I'm 33...
    -- Julz

Quote Originally Posted by vps3922 View Post
    I would be interested how you would put a Volt powerplant into a DeLorean. That would call for another thread.
    I'm not really sure about that yet. The idea is to combine make a sort of EV-ER. I haven't figured out all the technical details yet.

There is also another engine that I would really like to try.

Last edited by knightjp; 01-26-2015 at 01:21 PM.
    -- Julz

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

Club(s):   (DMA)

Where are you going to source two jet turbines compact enough to fit in the vents over the engine? Where will the separate fuel cell for jet fuel go? How are you going to handmake an ev-er, something that Fisker failed doing, and cost chevrolet billions to do *adequately*?

I mean I'm all for "shoot for the moon and if you miss you'll be among the stars", but this all seems insanely complex for something that you want to attract the ladies with?
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

Yeah... the Delorean project does have quite a few things that needs to be worked out.

To me, the Chevy Volt is probably the best idea out there. Its not a hybrid in the traditional sense. The electric motors power the wheels and the petrol engine only turns on to supply electrical power when the batteries are low. The Volt power plant was only mentioned to give an idea of what I was planning as the power plant for the project.
    The turbine engines need only be big enough to replace the petrol power motor. Chrysler used the same for a Le Mans racer in 1993.
    I thought that was a really good idea. I'm sure that I can source the turbines given enough time.
    Another thing is that the vents are going to be bigger.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Is this thread going way in to science fiction or is this an individual in big heat to get laid and is throwing all prospects of imagination on the table?

Who's the lucky lady knight?
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    06369

As others have already said, I don't think either will do much for the ladies and both will look dated. Modding a DeLorean halfway will look weird and I think doing the same to a Mercedes will have the same result. You'll get attention..."That looks...cool?" But, I think with all the money you'll be spending and time too, either just buy a true classic, or something new. Granted, you obviously just want something to work on, so do what you like...just don't expect to get the results you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    Is this thread going way in to science fiction or is this an individual in big heat to get laid and is throwing all prospects of imagination on the table?

Who's the lucky lady knight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidentist View Post
    As others have already said, I don't think either will do much for the ladies and both will look dated. Modding a DeLorean halfway will look weird and I think doing the same to a Mercedes will have the same result. You'll get attention..."That looks...cool?" But, I think with all the money you'll be spending and time too, either just buy a true classic, or something new. Granted, you obviously just want something to work on, so do what you like...just don't expect to get the results you're looking for.
    Science fiction? in Big Heat? LOL... You guys are funny.

All I'm looking for is to build something cool. I know I made it sound like I'm looking to build something just to attract women, but that is not it.
    As for the special lady, TBH there is a certain someone. Full story here. I just don't want what I build to be a turn-off for her or any other lady that comes into my life.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Ha! I knew I smelled some heartbreak
    There is no project that will attract "the one" that is better for you. Experience has taught me that the one who truly loves you, will support and cheer you along any project in your life no matter how cool or geekisch it may be.

So do something you love... And the special somebody will love it too if she doesn't, then you best dump her while it's still in the early stages.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
    Science fiction? in Big Heat? LOL... You guys are funny.

All I'm looking for is to build something cool. I know I made it sound like I'm looking to build something just to attract women, but that is not it.
    As for the special lady, TBH there is a certain someone. Full story here. I just don't want what I build to be a turn-off for her or any other lady that comes into my life.
    I'll preface by saying this, I'm not trying to get into your personal business but since you've put all these details out there to share with our community, I'm going to toss a couple of things out there. Additionally these are just my suggestions/opinions so take them however you want.

• Do what makes you happy, period.
    • If you pine after someone this hard and publicly, she's either going to blow you off completely or make you her bitch. Either way, you probably won't be happy. (cracking whip sound)
    • Look for another job. Regardless of how this works out, you're in a tough spot there.
    • Blow her off back, to a degree. Be friendly and sociable but not pathetic.
    • Go date someone else for a couple of months and make sure she knows about it.
    • Be a little bit of a dick. For whatever reason, girls like this.
    • Drop all the social media crap or at least become less involved.
    • Care less about what others think (life lesson across the board).
    • If it's meant to be, it will be. If it doesn't work out, move on. Life's too short.
    • Take up a new hobby or perfect a current one. I assume this is where your car project fits in.
    • Life is a garden, dig it! (Joe Dirt)
    Jeff

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast