FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: Which Project Car? Realistically...

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1 - Sleek Sports car

5 41.67%
  • Option 2 - Delorean project.

7 58.33%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Car

Project Car

I know that asking this question here will be like asking a kids whether they want candy or broccoli, but let's put all our love for the Delorean aside for a moment.

I want to do a project car and I have two plans in mind.

The aim is to build something that will not look dated or out of place parked next to other classy cars. I want to build something that will have universal appeal with everyone, especially the ladies.

Option 1:
    Attachment 32642Attachment 32643
    Take a 5th gen Mercedes SL. Preferrably a V6 model that needs an engine.
    Put in a Viper V10 or an alternate power plant.
    Mould the body to what you see in the pics above paint it gunmetal grey.
    Some more mods as well as I think of it.

Option 2:
    Attachment 32644Attachment 32645
    Find a Delorean that needs a new engine or work. Put in a power plant from a Chevy Volt or a V8 or some other engine; keeping room to add two turbines on top.
    Customize the exterior to include two proper jet exhaust vents part of the body like the BTTF car (for the turbines).
    Put in the LED bumper and top strips from the BTTF car.
    (No exposed wiring like the original BTTF car; its got to look like a factory fit.)
    Customise the interior to include a large touchscreen display like the Tesla and Volt. Make it classy..
    Wire up the LED strips so that they will light up whenever the car goes over 100kph. like the pic below.
    Attachment 32646

Most of my friends say the ladies will appreciate option 1 better. Its a more modern looking car, hard-top convertible and its got the luxury interior of the SL.
    Except for her.. She's a BTTF fan.

I'd have to agree with my friends about option 1. But its hard to say No to a car with Jet thrusters in the back.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

I couldn't open the attachments so I will hold off on voting for now.

I don't mean to be discouraging but when it comes to the ladies and cars most of them don't really seem to notice or care all that much. Just my 2 cents worth
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Project Car

As described above...

Option 1:

1. 5th gen Mercedes SL
    2. Put in a Viper V10
    3. Mould the body to what you see in the pics above
    4. More mods as I think of them.

Option 2:

1. Delorean that needs work
    2. Put in a Volt powerplant, V8 or alternative engine
    3. Add two turbine engines
    4. Customize the interior with a large LCD like in the Tesla or Volt. Make it classy.
    5. Modify the exterior to look like the BTTF car. (But no external wires like the original car)
    6. Add the LED lighting strips so that they light up when the car goes over 100kph... (pictured below)

Last edited by knightjp; 01-25-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Don't know about the rest... I still don't see the images..

And yes... If you are spending cash on a car to get ladies.... Use that money on fancy handbags and shoes. They will love such presents
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Hope you guys can see the pics now.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Neither answer is likely to get you ladies. If you're looking for an answer to what might be most appealing for your lady to be seen getting into and out of, I'd have to go with something more like option 1... that is after it's been painted gunmetal gray. The image you have is a bit flashy for what you're after. In other words, I'm glad you said you'd put a more classy paint job on it.

I don't think that most women are going to think a BTTF Deloren is going to do it... especially one that has been modified to be less like the movie car. Best guess, either people are going to like a BTTF car and want it to be pretty screen accurate or they're not going to be into too much at all. There will be exceptions but it sounds like you're going for a more mainstream answer.

Just my opinion, though.

My VIN:    1374

That cartoon car looks like a Pontiac Firebird would be a better car to start with. Women don't care about cars.
    A can of worms doesn't open itself.

Patrick Maruska Seattle WA USA.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I would vote against the DeLorean just to avoid having another Time Machine replica out there.

(This coming from a huge BTTF fan.)
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

If you have BOTH a Delorean and a MB you odds of impressing the ladies are better than have just one. Go with the Benz.

Quote Originally Posted by DashEight View Post
    That cartoon car looks like a Pontiac Firebird would be a better car to start with. Women don't care about cars.
    The reason I will be using a Mercedes SL as a starter is because I want a hard-top convertible. It the best starter, plus the SL is the perfect size for a 2 seater sports convertible GT car.
    -- Julz

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast