FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Interior

My VIN:    10625

Cleaning Interior

Alright so Im about to clean the interior of my DMC for the first time..(new owner)

So I know that the front of the seats, door straps, steering wheel and the shift knob thingy is leather and the rest is vinyl?

What do you guys recommend in form of products? just to clean out a few light smudges, dust and other normal wear and tear stains?
    1982 DMC-12, 2100 original miles, Stage ll, Euro-spec eibach suspension, 140 mph speedo.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by drdelorean View Post
    Alright so Im about to clean the interior of my DMC for the first time..(new owner)

So I know that the front of the seats, door straps, steering wheel and the shift knob thingy is leather and the rest is vinyl?

What do you guys recommend in form of products? just to clean out a few light smudges, dust and other normal wear and tear stains?
    Some of the products I use include:

Leatherique.com for the leather

Snap On cleaner for the vinyl

Windex for the glass

A damp rag for the carpet with no soap so it doesn't become stiff

Stay away from the stuff that leaves things oily/greasy/shiny like Armor-All

A good vacuum and for quick touch-ups a lint roller
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    01960

I use Lexol or gold class Meguiars for the leather, and the non-glossy Meguiars interior cleaner/protectant for the vinyl -- it's not greasy or shiny like Armorall etc so doesn't leave a residue. For harder plastics and moldings I use stuff called VRT from Adams Polishes -- it's especially great on all the ext moldings and louvres too.
    1981, auto, black int w/black carpet and headliner, Momo wheel, Pioneer HU /speakers w/bluetooth, Bisyncmaster LED panel, Eibach springs, shocks, exhaust, wingsaloft

My VIN:    3937

If you're a new owner and this is the first time giving the car's interior a good cleaning, I'd recommend you consider taking the seats out.

Not because you need that kind of access to wipe them or whatever, but because there are probably some "things" under the seats or down the cracks beside them that you'll be happy you cleaned up. Then you can go to town on cleaning the seats with one of the cleaners mentioned but also inspect under it for anything unusual, vacuum the carpeting under the seats and address any other stains or things there that might not smell great in the summer heat.

Seats are very easy to get out, just four nuts you loosen from underneath. You don't need the car up in the air to do it, just somewhere clean that the car can be parked on that lets you lie down on the ground to reach the nuts and bolts without getting yourself filthy.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Thanks for all the tips!
    Taking out the seats sounds like a good idea, even though the car looks clean and is low milage you never know whats hiding underneath!

Is there something I need to be were of/stay away from? In regards to damaging the interior or leave stains?
    1982 DMC-12, 2100 original miles, Stage ll, Euro-spec eibach suspension, 140 mph speedo.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Seats are very easy to get out, just four nuts you loosen from underneath.
    If the nuts aren't rusted in place. After all they are exposed to all manner of the outside elements. Get a good penetrating oil and let them soak a bit before going after them with a wrench.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    First 700

I like to use Einszett Cockpit Premium. It is a good shine-free oil-free cleaner. It also smells good (citrus) and can be used to clean anything on the car. I generally follow up cleaning the seats with a conditioner like Meguiars D180 that I wipe again after 5 min, as it can make the seat slippery.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z2MZ4/...yd_detail_page
    http://www.autogeek.net/d180-leather-cleaner.html

I have to wonder if this stuff is any good, people say it cleans SS good too:
    http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/htm...Degreaser.html

EDIT: ok, don't use that totally awesome stuff...it has 2-Butoxyethanol in it, a carcinogen.
    Last edited by Flicky; 01-26-2015 at 04:24 AM.

Nice! Thanks for the heads up!

I'll pick up some of those and try

My VIN:    4519

If you're a new owner and this is the first time giving the car's interior a good cleaning, I'd recommend you consider taking the seats out.
    +1

I'm a big fan of taking the seats out...not sure what it is, but it feels productive and I felt more familiar with the car after the first time I removed/replaced the seats.

My VIN:    5875

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOI)

Not because you need that kind of access to wipe them or whatever, but because there are probably some "things" under the seats or down the cracks beside them that you'll be happy you cleaned up. Then you can go to town on cleaning the seats with one of the cleaners mentioned but also inspect under it for anything unusual, vacuum the carpeting under the seats and address any other stains or things there that might not smell great in the summer heat.

Seats are very easy to get out, just four nuts you loosen from underneath. You don't need the car up in the air to do it, just somewhere clean that the car can be parked on that lets you lie down on the ground to reach the nuts and bolts without getting yourself filthy.
    Hey Jonathan - when you took your seats out were you able to see the sliding mechanism underneath? No matter how much I try to budge the handle and driver's seat back and fourth it won't move. Tried looking under there, but not much clearance to see what's going on. I'm assuming it's a common issue.
    Eric
    1981/Grey/Manual/Grooved Hood/Martin Lowering Springs/SPEC I Exhaust/Ice Cold R134 AC

Ontario Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plates
    www.YOMplates.ca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast