FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A cautionary tale for prospective Craigslist car buyers

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

A cautionary tale for prospective Craigslist car buyers

Sure, it’s a one-in-a-million-chance story, but still has just happened near to me, and as this is a forum for classic cars such a scenario happens regularly with sketchy D’s listed for sale on Craigslist:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/expert-c...eads-to-crime/

TL;DR version – couple looking to buy 66 Mustang, travel to small town to view/buy it. Get robbed and murdered.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    03037

It's a very sad case. I've been watching this since it was reported. Their poor daughters and I'm very sorry for their loss. Dad was seeking a dream.

CL should close down that part of their classifieds - it only harbors scum and other dirtbags and or begin the listing fees, but that won't even curb a case like this one.

That's why folks; List and buy from reputable websites and bring back up with you when you out on buying or selling a car - don't matter what it is!
    Last edited by skill; 01-29-2015 at 02:30 PM.
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by skill View Post
    bring back up with you when you out on buying or selling a car - don't matter what it is!
    +1

My VIN:    3028

It's sad, but it can happen to anyone, not just elderly people. You just get caught up,in the excitement of buying an old car (or whatever). You can never let your guard down.
    Barry

My VIN:    5625

Yeah, this story is sad but unfortunately sometimes bad things happen to good people. With that being said, I absolutely love Craigslist and am a huge proponent of it!! I have purchased and sold quite a bit locally over the years with no issues at all. There is nothing quite like being able to shop and compare price on people's used items. There was actually a point in my life that I would shop Craigslist for items that I could fix up and re-sell for double the money. Although I must admit that usually only ended up with me getting a really good deal on something that I kept.

Though when dealing with people there are a couple of common sense things one must keep in mind.

• When you sell something always make sure to meet the potential buyer in some well lit public place. Not only for the security, but also so that the person doesn't know where you live.
    • When you buy something always make sure to either take other people with you who will wait in the car while you look, or at least make sure someone knows where you are going. I always like to send my wife a link of the Craigslist ad that I am going to just in case something goes south.
    • If at any point you don't feel comfortable with a meet location or the seller/buyer, make sure to always leave yourself an out. If it doesn't feel right, get out.

After all, I purchased my Delorean off of Craigslist!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    891, 1045

I always meet in a location of my choosing when selling. It's typically a very public place, either an intersection with an open lot and high visibility or a parking lot with cameras.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    5312, (860 sold)

This story is sad, but I'm wondering if it could of happened to me.
    When I sold my Delorean here recently I needed the money for a custody battle and I was gonna buy another saleen with the rest of the money. Long story short, I found a car in Detroit, the guy told me he couldn't take a check, so I sent $9300 cash in the mail 2nd day and he claims he never got it. He says the box was empty. So I get a loan and he still says he can't take a check, so I plan to fly there with cash this time. Well things wernt working out but I called him about 20 times the day before and no answer, I decided to skip out on going, and he never responded on that sat or Sunday, and to this day he has yet to call me to find out where I am. He also said he'd pick me up from the airport.
    So who knows, but what I do know is that I should of NEVER sent cash through the mail. Dumb ass move.
    I still think I'm gonna call the police or FBI on it.

My VIN:    891, 1045

I thought this was a joke at first. I'm just stunned you sent cash through the mail. I've been mailed maybe $200 before I was uncomfortable RECEIVING it! You may as well have burned the money as mailing it will probably get you more in return...a pile of ash.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    5312, (860 sold)

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    I thought this was a joke at first. I'm just stunned you sent cash through the mail. I've been mailed maybe $200 before I was uncomfortable RECEIVING it! You may as well have burned the money as mailing it will probably get you more in return...a pile of ash.
    Yea no kiddin, I agree I shouldn't of done it, but I wanted the car bad, and it was one I have wanted for a long time.
    Yea so I lost the money and still never got the car.

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I would definatly contact the FBI, as well as your local authorities. I'm not sure why you haven't done that yet...
    Soundkillr was here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast