FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Radiator fans

My VIN:    5625

Radiator fans

Does anyone know how to test the rad fans just to see if they actually work? I'm not sure that I have ever had it running long enough to get up to temp. Do I just need to jumper the two pins on the otterstat with the ignition on? If so, and the fans don't come on how do I know if the otterstat is operating correctly?
    Last edited by Trstno1; 02-02-2015 at 02:49 PM.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Does anyone know how to test the rad fans just to see if they actually work? I'm not sure that I have ever had it running long enough to get up to temp. Do I just need to jumper the two pins on the otterstat with the ignition on? If so, and the fans don't come on how do I know if the otterstat is operating correctly?
    When I got my car the fans were disconnected from the otterstat and jumped together (otterstat was gone and the pipe was welded shut), the fans came on and stayed on when turning the key. After replacing the fans (toby's DMCNW) and the otterstat all was good. If you jump the wires with stock fans and get nothing I'll bet you need new fans just to start. Otterstat is only a couple of bucks I would just get a new one and be done with it.
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

Ok, I jumpered the wires from the otterstat and the fans came on. Is there a way to test the otterstat with a meter for function? Obviously if the two pins have continuity when the otterstat is cold it would need replaced. But is there any other test that one could run to see if it works other than running the vehicle up to temp? At rest should the otterstat pins be tested as an open load or a certain resistance?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Right now the otterstat measures at 4.8 M ohms when cold between the two pins. Do the otterstat readings control the temp gauge in the car or just the operation of the rad fans? Sorry.....newbie here.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Ok, I jumpered the wires from the otterstat and the fans came on. Is there a way to test the otterstat with a meter for function? Obviously if the two pins have continuity when the otterstat is cold it would need replaced. But is there any other test that one could run to see if it works other than running the vehicle up to temp? At rest should the otterstat pins be tested as an open load or a certain resistance?
    I think thats backwards - continuity when hot (switch closed).

It's a make or break connections, like a light switch.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I think thats backwards - continuity when hot (switch closed).

It's a make or break connections, like a light switch.
    You can take it out of the car, put an ohm meter on it (will read wide open), warm it up to 200 degrees and see of it closes (zero ohms). Kind of a lot of work.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    1776

Right now the otterstat measures at 4.8 M ohms when cold between the two pins. Do the otterstat readings control the temp gauge in the car or just the operation of the rad fans? Sorry.....newbie here.
    The otterstat controls only the fans. Since jumpering the wires caused the fans to run, there's a pretty good chance the otterstat is bad (they are notoriously failure-prone).

Make sure that the otterstat pipe is oriented so that the otterstat is on the bottom. This ensures that the otterstat is immersed in liquid coolant, and is not insulated in a vapor pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by dustybarn View Post
    The otterstat controls only the fans. Since jumpering the wires caused the fans to run, there's a pretty good chance the otterstat is bad (they are notoriously failure-prone).

Make sure that the otterstat pipe is oriented so that the otterstat is on the bottom. This ensures that the otterstat is immersed in liquid coolant, and is not insulated in a vapor pocket.
    Yes, The otterstat is mounted so that the terminals are pointed down. I guess the other sensor that may be causing the issue is the coolant temperature switch. Since I dont have any means of actually testing the temp of the coolant, I suppose I should just get a replacement of each......

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Not quite straight on the names of the components that are - and are not - in this circuit. See boldface comments:

Yes, The otterstat is mounted so that the terminals are pointed down. Good, so the Otterstat is seeing coolant, which doesn't mean it works it just means that the tee it sits in is oriented correctly. I guess the other sensor that may be causing the issue is the coolant temperature switch. It is a bit confusing but what we call the Otterstat IS the coolant temp switch for the rad fan circuit. Since I dont have any means of actually testing the temp of the coolant, I suppose I should just get a replacement of each......
    Assuming the coolant in the pipe is getting hot enough to kick on a good Otterstat the only part you need is a new/good Otterstat. The book says the Otterstat switch-closed temp is ~207F/97C in case you feel like testing yours off the car as Dave described.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Not quite straight on the names of the components that are - and are not - in this circuit. See boldface comments:

Assuming the coolant in the pipe is getting hot enough to kick on a good Otterstat the only part you need is a new/good Otterstat. The book says the Otterstat switch-closed temp is ~207F/97C in case you feel like testing yours off the car as Dave described.
    Sounds good, I'll test things tomorrow. Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast