FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Upper control arm install

  1. #11
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    2,297

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Looking at the parts diagram on DMC's website it says that 4 are required per side, so I agree that it should be:

    - large flat washer on the outside, snub washer, control arm, snub washer, frame, snub washer, control arm, snub washer , large washer, nut.

    The snub washers prevent binding/ chafing.
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  2. #12
    Senior Member hippieman9's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jan 2018

    Location:  Mebane, NC

    Posts:    329

    My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

    Yeah I am going to put it back together with one snub washer in each position. Per the manual.i agree they are for anti binding purposes. Just funny how different vins seem to be assembled differently. But then again a Previous Owner couldnif taken it apart and reassembled it different.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2014

    Location:  West Sayville, N.Y.

    Posts:    1,351

    My VIN:    005058 000927

    Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Yeah I am going to put it back together with one snub washer in each position. Per the manual.i agree they are for anti binding purposes. Just funny how different vins seem to be assembled differently. But then again a Previous Owner couldnif taken it apart and reassembled it different.
    Every car I worked on for the first 10 or 15 years after production ceased had two snubwashers (#100480) on each inner side of the upper bushing and one large OD washer (#SP10505). I think some 500/600 VIN cars had the setup as seen in the parts illustration but all later cars used the double shim approach. On cars that have been taken apart however it is not uncommon for for this to change due to carelessness or conversly someone taking the original drawing as the way to go. The illustration in the manual is incorrect. The quantity listed on the DMCH site is correct at 8 per car however. It would be desirable if they cleaned up both front and rear suspension illustrations to correct the inaccuracies of the original drawings but it would take some talent and time. If you're using the correct original snubwashers I would definately advise using two at each inner bsg to frame mount. The other way to go is use a single washer that is double the thickness as the originals and your tolerance would be the same.
    On a side note tte snubwashers are not for an antibinding purpose per se as the bushing inner collar does not rotate with suspension travel but remains stationary as the wheels travel through thier arc.
    Rob
    Last edited by PJ Grady Inc.; 06-15-2018 at 07:16 PM.

  4. #14
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    2,297

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Every car I worked on for the first 10 or 15 years after production ceased had two snubwashers (#100480) on each inner side of the upper bushing and one large OD washer (#SP10505). I think some 500/600 VIN cars had the setup as seen in the parts illustration but all later cars used the double shim approach. On cars that have been taken apart however it is not uncommon for for this to change due to carelessness or conversly someone taking the original drawing as the way to go. The illustration in the manual is incorrect. The quantity listed on the DMCH site is correct at 8 per car however. It would be desirable if they cleaned up both front and rear suspension illustrations to correct the inaccuracies of the original drawings but it would take some talent and time. If you're using the correct original snubwashers I would definately advise using two at each inner bsg to frame mount. The other way to go is use a single washer that is double the thickness as the originals and your tolerance would be the same.
    On a side note tte snubwashers are not for an antibinding purpose per se as the bushing inner collar does not rotate with suspension travel but remains stationary as the wheels travel through thier arc.
    Rob
    Thanks Rob for your insight and experience...it's always appreciated. I noticed the part numbers were perhaps reversed on the parts diagram. (44 and 45)

    I agree with your purpose of the snub washer. I found a more precise description of what I meant by "binding/chafing"... "The use of snubbing washers is required to ensure proper static and dynamic loading of the isolator and retention of suspended equipment under severe shock environments."
    From:
    http://www.vlier.com/hutchinson/pdfs...nded_22005.pdf


    Last edited by DMC-81; 06-15-2018 at 09:37 PM.
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  5. #15
    Senior Member hippieman9's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jan 2018

    Location:  Mebane, NC

    Posts:    329

    My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Every car I worked on for the first 10 or 15 years after production ceased had two snubwashers (#100480) on each inner side of the upper bushing and one large OD washer (#SP10505). I think some 500/600 VIN cars had the setup as seen in the parts illustration but all later cars used the double shim approach. On cars that have been taken apart however it is not uncommon for for this to change due to carelessness or conversly someone taking the original drawing as the way to go. The illustration in the manual is incorrect. The quantity listed on the DMCH site is correct at 8 per car however. It would be desirable if they cleaned up both front and rear suspension illustrations to correct the inaccuracies of the original drawings but it would take some talent and time. If you're using the correct original snubwashers I would definately advise using two at each inner bsg to frame mount. The other way to go is use a single washer that is double the thickness as the originals and your tolerance would be the same.
    On a side note tte snubwashers are not for an antibinding purpose per se as the bushing inner collar does not rotate with suspension travel but remains stationary as the wheels travel through thier arc.
    Rob
    Rob,
    This is great information. Thank you.

  6. #16
    Matt Drive Stainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2016

    Location:  Washington D.C.

    Posts:    566

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    . If you're using the correct original snubwashers I would definately advise using two at each inner bsg to frame mount. The other way to go is use a single washer that is double the thickness as the originals and your tolerance would be the same.

    Rob

    When you say "two at each inner [bushing] to frame mount," you mean one snub washer on each side of the frame mount? Or do you mean two snub washers stacked together on each side of the inner bushing frame mount?

    The reason I ask is because when you say, "use a single washer that is double the thickness as the originals," it would seem to apply where there are two snub washers stacked together, but where would this be? In other words, would the replaced single washer go in the inside of the control arm or on the outside of the control arm adjacent to the bolthead/nut?

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2014

    Location:  West Sayville, N.Y.

    Posts:    1,351

    My VIN:    005058 000927

    Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    When you say "two at each inner [bushing] to frame mount," you mean one snub washer on each side of the frame mount? Or do you mean two snub washers stacked together on each side of the inner bushing frame mount?

    The reason I ask is because when you say, "use a single washer that is double the thickness as the originals," it would seem to apply where there are two snub washers stacked together, but where would this be? In other words, would the replaced single washer go in the inside of the control arm or on the outside of the control arm adjacent to the bolthead/nut?
    Yes two snub washers stacked on each inner bushing to frame mount if using NOS #100480 which I believe are NLA. They are about about .043" so you double that for the original factory shimstack thickness.
    Rob

  8. #18
    Senior Member hippieman9's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jan 2018

    Location:  Mebane, NC

    Posts:    329

    My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Yes two snub washers stacked on each inner bushing to frame mount if using NOS #100480 which I believe are NLA. They are about about .043" so you double that for the original factory shimstack thickness.
    Rob
    So I reinstalled the snub washers as a stacked pair one pair on each side of the shock mount tower. It makes more sense because you can see the gap is about as wide as the two washers. I assume if it only has one washer in there it could put some extra tension on the UCA, maybe even bind it a little.

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2018

    Location:  England

    Posts:    70

    My VIN:    07164

    Club(s):   (DCH)

    Glad I found this thread as I was beginning to lose the plot re-assembling my Upper control arm setup with what came off.

    https://store.delorean.com/parts/sus...uspension.html

    The current DMCH says below.

    BOLT HEAD - SNUB WASHER -- Large Washer -- Contol arm -- Large Washer-- Frame-- Large Washer -- Control Arm -- Large Washer-- Snub Washer-- Nut

    Is there a reason the above link is so thoroughly misleading ? It references 4 large 1/2 washers on re-assembly which just don't fit and snub washers on the outside.

    For total clarity are we following Robs advice now saying

    NUT --- Large Washer -- CONTROL ARM --- 2 snub washers --- FRAME -- 2 snub washers -- CONTROL ARM -- Large Washer -- Bolt head.
    Last edited by er1c; 12-28-2020 at 11:28 AM.

  10. #20
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    785

    My VIN:    11596

    Glad I found this thread. I think er1c is explaining it pretty well. I'm about to put my front suspension back onto the car and was double-checking that I had all the hardware and found myself extremely confused regarding parts 44 and 45 in the illustration. It seems the descriptions are backwards and the illustration needs to show a total of QTY 4 "45's" between the upper arm bushings.

    Speaking of weird drawing, I'm totally lost regarding SNUB WASHERS as it pertains to the anti roll bar. This is item #20 in the same diagram. It says QTY 12 required? What's going on here? The illustration looks like they are stacking washers on top of each other? How do you know how many snub washers are needed in the front and rear of the LCA attachment point if you are assembling from scratch? Do you install the LCA, ball joints, upper wishbone, and knuckle first so they are in alignment, and then try fitting the ARB - and if there's so much slack that it would pull the LCA forward once you tighten it down, that means you need more snub washers in the front?
    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Olathe, KS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •