FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Warm Start Issue - Resting Fuel Pressure Drops to 0 after 5 minutes

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearbacon View Post
    Finally!

I pulled the rear line off of the accumulator and fuel poured out of the line and the accumulator.

at this point I was pretty sure I knew what was wrong , but I put vacuum on the accumulator anyway and I could barely hold 10 inches of vacuum.
    Having fuel pour out of the spring side chamber via the 1/4" hose barb is normal because it is tied to the return side of the fuel system circuit via a T fitting. Nothing prevents system return fuel from running into the spring chamber. In fact the action of the accumulator bleeding off system pressure draws fuel into the spring chamber.

Your vacuum test is what verifies a good or bad accumulator. When you get your new accumulator, perform the same vacuum Proof test too it and share the results please.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    perform the same vacuum Proof test too it and share the results please.
    Roger Wilco

When I put my vacuum gauge and could not even get 10", I knew it was bad. I will post findings of the new accumulator!
    -Luigi-
    Thank you ALL for your patience and your tremendous help!

1982 VIN#10588 Build Date Dec '81

As previously requested, the vacuum difference between the failing accumulator and a new one out of the box.

This weekend was the weekend!!! Got the old accumulator out and the new (smaller) one installed. The newer one was much smaller! Check out the difference!

Old:

New:

mmmm tasty new fuel lines.
    oh and my rest pressure?? Do I hold 1.7 bar for 10 minutes?

..............How about 2.7 bar after 1.5 HOURS!!!! Hows THAT for some rest pressure!

As soon as my accumulator was installed, I looked over and saw my fuel filter with the slightest weep. I took the nut off, and I couldn't sever the fuel line from the filter. I saw numerous examples of how the flange sits on the L piece going into the bottom of the fuel filter, but it didn't want to budge. So, cleaned up the connection as best I could, used a small piece (one wrap around) of yellow teflon tape ,re-tightened and the leak was eliminated. I will be replacing the fuel filter in the next few months, so that will be adressed.

I also installed my SS coolant tank, but that was easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I believe my rest pressure issues are solved! Wahoo!
    -Luigi-

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

I'm going to ad my two cents here "Nuclear Bacon" (Is that your real name) but please don't take this as offensive. I'm glad you solved your problem but I don't understand why people sell/install the smaller (4 cylinder intended) fuel accumulator when the correct one is still available? Although it's cheaper and gets the job done it doesn't fit properly (as is obvious in your picture TYVM!) and can't possibly hold rest pressure as long as the correct larger unit.

Until it's unavailable the larger one is the only one I'll carry even though it obviously puts me at a price disadvantage to the other vendors. To me it's a sign that the owner services his car with the cheapest parts available and makes me take a harder look at other previously serviced areas of the car for incorrect parts. I'll admit it seems to "get er done" but it isn't the best way.

To each his own but "that's how I roll" as Jeremy VanBemmelen used to tell me. I sure do miss that young man!
    Rob

As previously requested, the vacuum difference between the failing accumulator and a new one out of the box.

This weekend was the weekend!!! Got the old accumulator out and the new (smaller) one installed. The newer one was much smaller! Check out the difference!

Old:

New:

mmmm tasty new fuel lines.
    oh and my rest pressure?? Do I hold 1.7 bar for 10 minutes?

..............How about 2.7 bar after 1.5 HOURS!!!! Hows THAT for some rest pressure!

As soon as my accumulator was installed, I looked over and saw my fuel filter with the slightest weep. I took the nut off, and I couldn't sever the fuel line from the filter. I saw numerous examples of how the flange sits on the L piece going into the bottom of the fuel filter, but it didn't want to budge. So, cleaned up the connection as best I could, used a small piece (one wrap around) of yellow teflon tape ,re-tightened and the leak was eliminated. I will be replacing the fuel filter in the next few months, so that will be adressed.

I also installed my SS coolant tank, but that was easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I believe my rest pressure issues are solved! Wahoo!

Hey Rob! No offense taken! I called DeLorean, asked for a new accumulator and they sent me a new accumulator. I figured if I ordered it from DeLorean, it's correct.

You're right, it doesn't fit exactly, but as from my last test, I hold 2 hours of rest pressure @ 2.7bar. That sounds good to me but boy that seed of doubt is planted!

Do you feel this is a crappy part? Do you feel I got screwed in some way? Should I be concerned? Will it fail because of its smaller size? Eek!
    -Luigi-

Absolutely not. It's a Bosch part that apparently holds pressure under normal conditions long enough to do the job. You got what you paid for. The larger six cylinder sized accumulator holds pressure longer than it needs to so it's more of an insurance policy that the extra size may last longer as time goes on and the diaphragm starts to leak. I won't be able to say for sure until they start failing. When the cars were newer the NOS units did not start failing with frequency until the ninties so they usually lasted 10 to 15 years. With the outsoucing of so many parts these days there's no telling how long either style of these new Bosch accumulators will last. The larger unit is still made in Germany however so they should last about the same as the originals baring other differences. I could ask my WD if the smaller ones are still German but anyone who sells them could chime in here? I don't really like the accommodations you have to make for the smaller one to fit but I have installed a customer supplied unit and would not refuse to do so in the future.

That being said I like to consider myself a "non-anal perfectionist" who will make compromises for the sake of expediency where warranted. I just won't start selling them until the "factory correct " part becomes unavailable or outrageously expensive whichever comes first. There's no reason to feel bad because although it may look hokey to me when installed you're not exactly parading your accumulator around in public, it gets the job done, and you saved yourself $50- give or take. Now does that make you feel better or worse? I'm trying to be PC here!!!!! BTW I guess your first name really is "Nuclear" or do you just prefer anonymity?
    Rob

Hey Rob! No offense taken! I called DeLorean, asked for a new accumulator and they sent me a new accumulator. I figured if I ordered it from DeLorean, it's correct.

You're right, it doesn't fit exactly, but as from my last test, I hold 2 hours of rest pressure @ 2.7bar. That sounds good to me but boy that seed of doubt is planted!

Do you feel this is a crappy part? Do you feel I got screwed in some way? Should I be concerned? Will it fail because of its smaller size? Eek!
    Last edited by PJ Grady Inc.; 03-19-2015 at 06:00 PM.

Hey Rob! I'm Luigi (My name is at the bottom)

I paid $134.95 for my fuel accumulator from DeLorean.

I'm pretty sure the part was stamped Germany, I'll check my pics.

Intrigue! Possible deceit! All over a Fuel Accumulator! I can see the movie promos now...
    -Luigi-

Man I think I'm working too hard Luigi if I couldn't see your name for the trees! It's 10:40 and I'm still finishing last minute ad copy for the next "Delorean world."
    I need to get a life but I'm actually having fun over here...how pathetic. Eyes starting to blur now

Hey Rob! I'm Luigi (My name is at the bottom)

I paid $134.95 for my fuel accumulator from DeLorean.

I'm pretty sure the part was stamped Germany, I'll check my pics.

Intrigue! Possible deceit! All over a Fuel Accumulator! I can see the movie promos now...

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by GR8SCOTT View Post
    Attachment 33252Attachment 33253h

If anyone ever needs an inline fuel check valve, US Plastics Corp sells a great one. I have one installed in my car.

Attachment 33254
    Hi there,

I am getting ready to install this same(or similar) check valve in the feed line coming out of the same new style DMC-TX fuel pump. Question: does anyone know which one is the feed line?

Thanks,
    Dana
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi there,

I am getting ready to install this same(or similar) check valve in the feed line coming out of the same new style DMC-TX fuel pump. Question: does anyone know which one is the feed line?

Thanks,
    Dana
    Have you installed the new pump? It should come with a check valve. If not, it certainly comes with instructions for installations. Either way, when looking at the hard lines, the send line is the inside line, closest to the tank.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast