FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My deloreans on the lift, what should I be doing?

My VIN:    3610

My deloreans on the lift, what should I be doing?

Hey everyone, my delorean is on my lift. I have noticed some bubbling on the fuel tank closing plate, so I put it up and remove the plate. There was some rust on the closing plate and some minor rust on where it meets the frame. I cleaned the plate with a wire tool, and before I por15 and place it back I would like some advice on things that I can take care of while it's there.image.jpg

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

What are the braided lines? AC rerouted?

If you are looking for something to do, no harm can come from cleaning out the tank. removal will also allow you to inspect for further rust or epoxy damage from brake fluid.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

The braided lines are oil cooler lines. The twin turbo system runs cool even in the hottest of conditions.

Does this need the sway bar update?image.jpg

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Recall item. Yes.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean3610 View Post
    Hey everyone, my delorean is on my lift. .....I would like some advice on things that I can take care of while it's there.
    Here are a few items you could look after while it's up there, none directly tied to the closing plate work:

1. Inspect the boots on the tie rod ends, balljoints, halfshafts for cracking/deterioration.
    2. Lube the speedo angle drive.
    3. Bleed the brakes (unless you know that was done within past 2yrs)
    4. Top up the transaxle gear oil. Or change it.
    5. Inspect the cooling system hoses/clamps/brackets all along the lower end of the car.
    6. Check for blown/leaky shock absorbers.

For extra credit check the fuel lines/fittings for leaks and change the fuel filter.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    3937

Rich beat me to it...

Depending on how happy you are with your fuel system, yea, now is a good time to replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been changed in a while and if your fuel accumulator needs attention, doing so while the car is on a lift makes life much easier.

As mentioned, dealing with leaks in general is easier when the car is up in the air.

Adding to the inspection list could be to check your trailing arm bolts for condition or torque.

You might also choose just to get under there and take a whole pile of photos for use later if something comes up you're trying to figure out.

The safety recall you asked about with the sway bar/front end reinforcing brackets, you could also check to see if you have the "thick and thin" nuts on the backside connection point to each lower control arm of the front suspension. And also you should see the castle nuts and cotter pins (x4) on the front suspension (ball joints).

When you are reinstalling the fuel tank closing plate, be conscious of the protruding end of the bolts you are using for they go up and come quite close to the coolant lines that run along the frame. The factory bolts might have been a safe length, but if you go ahead and replace them with new ones you found locally, you don't want to tighten one so much that it pushes up and into a hose and pierces it. There is not a ton of extra space there if the replacement bolts are a bit too long.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

it'l buff right out

I see you have the island twin turbo setup. Those aluminum turbo pipes can be shined up to look like chrome.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    I see you have the island twin turbo setup. Those aluminum turbo pipes can be shined up to look like chrome.
    When our club does annual inspections we look for the usual stuff like rubber seals, rust, leaks, bent stuff, things out-of-place, things disconnected, motor mounts, and so on. Hard to properly inspect the TAB's with the shields on. Typically we see the most stuff to fix underneath because it is hard to get to and is neglected. "Out of sight, out of mind". You should be checking fluid levels (or changing them), pull the shields and properly inspect the TAB's, Grease the front end and angle drive. Check the shift linkage for worn bushings and adjust if needed. Check for exhaust leaks. Since you have an Island Turbo you should make sure the wastegates move freely and are set to no more than 5 # boost. It also can't hurt to pull the output tubing and check for any signs of oil from the turbos and make sure the impellers move freely.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast