FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Impromptu Tech day Feb 14 in Sacramento

My VIN:    11280

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Impromptu Tech day Feb 14 in Sacramento

Hey guys, d in air.jpg

Lookie what my neighbor has! A 9000lb car lift. Best part is that he's a real nice guy who wants to help me change out the gaskets on my exhaust system! You never know what is right by your back yard!

Anyways, we checked it out under the car and he feels confident that we can do the job. I did purchase the kit from DMC so I have the extra bolts (just in case) We are going to start this Saturday in the morning.

I know it's Valentine's Day but if anybody wants to drop by and check things out, please do so. It will be in the morning so it shouldn't get in the way of dinner plans. But I will not be able to make it a tech day 'party' I mean, I'll pick up some sodas and chips but will not be able to man a BBQ during that time.

I got the 'instructions' from DMC news on what to expect but if anybody has any tips and tricks please share!

Hope to see some of you soon

My VIN:    05457

I'd love to come if I didn't already have plans this weekend. Never done exhaust gaskets before, like you said, I hear those bolts can be infuriating. Would be interested in seeing them come off.

Be sure to take plenty of pictures, looking forward to hearing how it goes!
    David Proehl

Just read this today. That is awesome to have that in your backyard!!!!!! Hope all went well. Post some pics if you have any.

The exhaust seal replacement was a success! I think...

Bolts actually came off fairly well. I kind of regret using the newer replacement posts because I think the old ones are better steel. Of well. I had the chance to shine things up under there as well.

We replaces screw posts on the cross over as well. Everything was torqued to spec as much as we knew. I couldn't find header specs so I took a few suggestions and went to about 20lbs. Headers were cleaned up best as we could. I took the chance of not resurfacing them at a shop and relying on my own clean up and the fact the seals were nice and puffy. Changed oil and filter while I was at it too.

Here's the bummer... My puttering sound on deceleration is still there!!! So needless to say I'm frustrated. I mean the repair was necessary as can be seen by the pictures and I'm happy I did it but I don't know if it solved any problems. It might be enough to pass smog now but I still want to get rid of that damn sputter sound. Perhaps it is running to lean now?

Any ideas?IMG_5693.jpgIMG_5695.jpgIMG_5701.jpgIMG_5702.jpg

by the way. For future tech days, my neighbor is open to others using the lift.

My VIN:    1768

That sucks the noise didnt go away, what about the leaks? can you hear exhaust coming from anywhere but the tips? When I re sealed my manifolds I had to do alot of resurfacing to get any good seal. I used a table top belt sander and it took about an hour to get all 6 flanges nice and even.

We did some resurfacing... not quite belt sander quality so I'm thinking now that it did not seal good enough! I'll take another listen.

The thing that irks me though is that it only pops on deceleration (as you heard) If it was a real exhaust leak wouldn't I hear other popping or rumbles out of the ordinary at other times?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Usually you hear manifold leaks on acceleration too. It's really best to have the manifolds machined but a belt sander will work, as long as the surfaces are all level with each other. They usually aren't, i.e. the manifolds actually warp.

Check for other leaks, or maybe your cat is burned wide open inside.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Usually you hear manifold leaks on acceleration too. It's really best to have the manifolds machined but a belt sander will work, as long as the surfaces are all level with each other. They usually aren't, i.e. the manifolds actually warp.

Check for other leaks, or maybe your cat is burned wide open inside.

Thanks for the input. I really wish I had my headers resurfaced. Noise is only on deceleration when the car is still in gear. Once I press the clutch and the idle speed regulator takes over the noise goes away.

The cat is new as of 600 miles ago so I doubt that is it.