FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How embarrassing... Brake is on the left, gas is on the right... (Chant and repeat)

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

How embarrassing... Brake is on the left, gas is on the right... (Chant and repeat)

(Not the DeLorean - so nobody freak out) So... I'm pulling into a parking space at a winery (of all places) and I'm about fully into the space when my wife says "good parking job" - at that moment my foot "slips off the brake and slams on the accelerator" (okay... I accidently went right for the accelerator by accident). The car rams right into a dirt mound and I begin my next phrase with "Oh........". Please tell me I'm not alone in this? I was so embarrassed that I stayed in the car for a few minutes to gather myself. I get out and the license plate holder was 4 feet from the car. I didn't see any real damage otherwise, but I just got back from the dealer and I managed to rack up $2,800 in damages including under body panels and wheel well issues. The car went all of 2 feet into the dirt. Unbelievable. I regret going cheap on a $1,000 deductible. Anywhoo... I thought if anyone had any stories like this to help me feel better, they could share it here!
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I was driving my Jeep once. My wife and I were in an underground parking garage at Canadian Tire. I was pulling left into a parking stall while looking right and criticizing another driver. Mid "dis" i drove right into a concrete pillar. How embarrassing.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    5628

Senior member has senior moment!

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

About 10 years ago, I had an incident in my own driveway! We had a rather large parking area, you could easily fit 9 cars in just the area in front of the garage. One evening, we had a couple of friends over and everyone was parked in front of the garage doors, I thought. I was going to run out to the store real quick, backed the truck up and turned to the left, then BANG! Someone parked their vehicle off to the side, perpendicular to everyone else's. But still 100% my fault, it was dark and I just didn't look (of course nobody ever parks there or like that so wasn't expecting a vehicle to be there). I get out and take a look. Little 2" scuff on my bumper, nothing on their vehicle. Bumper to bumper contact at really low speed, figured no big deal. I did the right thing and told my friend. He looked at his vehicle, didn't see anything. He said he might get it checked just in case. I was ok with that, again, my fault. Calls me back a couple days later and tells me there is $3000 of damage underneath the bumper right were I hit it! He couldn't believe it either, showed me the estimate too. I offered to pay him for it but he was going to sell the vehicle soon anyway and said not to worry about it. But that got me thinking, how many times do accidents like this happen in parking lots and the other person has no clue someone just hit their vehicle and cause thousands of dollars in damage with no obvious signs?

My VIN:    1623

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I nearly killed my DeLorean with a hearse at midnight on Halloween. Each year we do a Halloween party/yard haunt, and I park my '67 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse out front as a prop. This year, we used the garage as a costume changing room, so I parked the DeLorean in the back yard. Once everything was over, I pulled the hearse around back to get it out of the front yard. I had to back it around a picket fence, where nothing is ever parked...until now. I caught a glimpse of something shiny in the side mirror, slammed on the brakes, and stopped within inches of the LFF.

My VIN:    3060

When I was in college, I got out of my car without putting it into Park. The car jumped the curb with me half way out of it. Fortunately I got my foot on the brake before it hit the apartment building wall 10 feet away.

Stuff like this happens to the best of us.

My VIN:    4608- sold 4885- current

When I was 15, before I had my license, this man I was working for sent me to the bank in his old Buick Skylark. I pulled into a spot in the strip center, went to the bank, and came back out. I got in to the car to leave and put it in reverse, but the column shifter was sticky so I missed reverse and went into drive (which was actually the one after), went back to what I thought was reverse but it was really drive. I hit the gas and went right through the large glass pane window of a hair salon. Destroyed a couch in their waiting area and scared the living daylights out of everyone but since it was on private property I was in no trouble.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

classic senior moments

After visiting our aged moms in SD and NEB my wife Kate and I were returning to Montana. Stopping in Billings we looked for a Comfort Inn to
    stay for the night. As I checked in I noticed the three story core had waterfalls and five hot tubs, boy this is a nice place. So we went out to eat and gas up.
    Returning to the motel I noticed that the Comfort Inn was two motels down from the one I checked in. Turns out we were at a Come 'on Inn......wait it gets worse.
    Went to bed early, got up late, had a fabulous breakfast and checked out. Brought the first load of luggage out to our Dodge Dakota, opened the door and it
    was warm?? Glancing at the tach.....IT WAS RUNNING, IT RAN ALL NIGHT, THE KEYS WERE IN IT, IT WAS UNLOCKED, IT WAS STILL THERE!!! Calming down I told
    Kate and we both had a good laugh.

In my defense....
    1 I'm hard of hearing
    2 very noisy, by a six lane road and I-90
    3 there were 7 motels in a row with confusing signage
    4 3:30 am, did I lock the truck?
    5 should I get up and check?....nah
    6 I was tired
    7 took only one fifth of a tank
    8 I'm an idiot

Paul Cerny 2691
    Kalispell, MT

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Almost feeling better about my mishap And that not alone! But this might break into an insurance nightmare thread as a Part II of "let's share". State Farm has turned into a multi-angle nightmare from the mega rude adjuster, to promises made on the phone now revoked. I am the most easy going guy normally, but this hit my blast button. Vent over...
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

I confused the pedals in my d once. while trying to back out of a spot with a car waiting to pull into it. thankfully i didn't manage to put it into gear too. all that happened is my car revved when i totally expected it to stop. could have been bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast