FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Why EFI?

So that i can undestand the performance value, how much better would you say acceleration is?

Quote Originally Posted by DARCOM View Post
    I'm much happier with EFI than the stock k jet. My k jet was clogged everywhere and the price to replace all of it was to high for me at the time. I run megasquirt 2 with extra running odd fire timing and fuel. Been running it for over 7 years and have not had any problems yet. I love ajustable performance.

My VIN:    2942

I'm not sure how to answer. My k jet never ran right and i have never been driving in another Delorean. But from what i started with its a huge improvement. Also the more i opened the exhaust and intake then tuned it ,it just got better and better.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

You're not really going to gain much horsepower or torque from EFI alone. Some, but nothing you'll notice. EFI will give you more reliability, better starts, and easier/more effective tuning once you do other upgrades.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    You're not really going to gain much horsepower or torque from EFI alone. Some, but nothing you'll notice. EFI will give you more reliability, better starts, and easier/more effective tuning once you do other upgrades.
    X2

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    5096

Besides the reliability, my driving around is 20+mpg right now in the city with an EFI+Turbo setup and I tend to run it hard so I know i'm not being fuel efficient. Eddy did my conversion and I'm loving it. The other thing I've noticed on cars that he's done for EFI is that when you press the gas it doesn't putt along then start moving, it just starts moving. I suspect that the EFI affects the HP due to not constantly flooding the cylinders with fuel too. I need to put mine on a dyno, haven't done that yet.

Club(s):   (DCF)

Just to add what most of my customers main complaint it is that the K-jet is not working, failing or constantly causes them issues. EFI eliminates many of the common problems people live with being a DeLorean owner. With EFI all you have to worry about is fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, coolant temp sensor, intake air temp sensor and I install wideband o2 sensors. All of these can be checked with a laptop or basic tests your average mechanic would know. I have a customers car I'm finishing up that is EFI turbo running higher boost by his request on the stock motor and OMG it pulls like no other. The biggest thing is tuning. I easily spend over a month tuning each car so it starts, idles cruses and gets max power when requested. No engine is the same and each will have its own tune. Find your tuner before you even think about going EFI! It can easily run worse than the K-jet if you don't know what you're doing.

Sorry I have been slammed and not checking the forums much but you can email me at [email protected] with any question or concerns about going EFI. Done properly EFI is far superior over the K-jet, add a turbo and you'll have a smile on your face because it won't feel like the same car at all.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

It was a revelation going from my bone stock engine to heads/cams/exhaust/EFI.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4