FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Who has the best relay replacement kit?

My VIN:    3610

Who has the best relay replacement kit?

I've been thinking about replacing all my relays and fuses just for the sake of doing it. The only problem so far has been a clicking ac relay, I would like one that doesn't click annoyingly.

Any suggestions based on your own experiences?

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean3610 View Post
    I've been thinking about replacing all my relays and fuses just for the sake of doing it. The only problem so far has been a clicking ac relay, I would like one that doesn't click annoyingly.

I did my relay box and upgrade kit through dmcla. Although for the relays themselves, bitsyncmaster here on the forums makes some amazing solid state upgrades I've heard people rave about. I am about to buy a few from him. If you want the best I would send him a pm for more info or search for related posts about them here on the forums!

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    I did my relay box and upgrade kit through dmcla. Although for the relays themselves, bitsyncmaster here on the forums makes some amazing solid state upgrades I've heard people rave about. I am about to buy a few from him. If you want the best I would send him a pm for more info or search for related posts about them here on the forums!
    Agreed. Bitsyncmaster's solid state relays are the "best" from what I've seen. They are also the most expensive. I have his RPM relay and fan fail relays. I have standard DMC replacement relays for the rest. It isn't clear to me what the advantage of the purple vs regular DMC relays is, I went regular. I assume the purple should last longer, but after 33 years without any failures, I figured I could go with a relay that was stock level of quality.

Edit: Replacing fuses on an annual basis is a good idea to do anyway. The fusebox location being above the battery is notorious for corroding fuses. Also, I kind of like hearing the A/C click now. It annoyed me too at first, but I now like knowing when my A/C clutch is turning on and off. A 8 second or so interval between clicks is good indicator of A/C health, which was especially helpful when my A/C was dying on an annual basis. Hopefully those issues are behind me for a while now (2 years with strong A/C and counting!)
    Last edited by DavidProehl; 02-13-2015 at 06:21 PM.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    03572

I have solid state relays an hence no click. But I can still hear the AC low pressure switch click when running on a quite drive (no radio) and the AC is cycling. The AC does not use a relay but what you may be hearing is the fan relay which turns on and off with the AC compressor. My solid state fan relay would eliminate that clicking.

My fan relay is special with a micro-processor running it. It delays the cooling fans turning on for one second. That was done to let the idle recover from the AC compressor load before adding the electrical load of the fans. Then it keeps the fans running for 20 seconds after the control signal tells it to turn off. That was done to keep the cooling fans running if your AC is cycling to improve the AC and not have the fans switching on and off.

I can also provide the other relays in solid state (headlights, blower). If you modify the wiring, the lambda relay can also use the "blower relay" unit.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3610

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I have solid state relays an hence no click. But I can still hear the AC low pressure switch click when running on a quite drive (no radio) and the AC is cycling. The AC does not use a relay but what you may be hearing is the fan relay which turns on and off with the AC compressor. My solid state fan relay would eliminate that clicking.

My fan relay is special with a micro-processor running it. It delays the cooling fans turning on for one second. That was done to let the idle recover from the AC compressor load before adding the electrical load of the fans. Then it keeps the fans running for 20 seconds after the control signal tells it to turn off. That was done to keep the cooling fans running if your AC is cycling to improve the AC and not have the fans switching on and off.

I can also provide the other relays in solid state (headlights, blower). If you modify the wiring, the lambda relay can also use the "blower relay" unit.
    What is rough estimate of the prices of what you have?

My VIN:    03572

What is rough estimate of the prices of what you have?
    Fan Fail, $94
    Dome unit, $88
    RPM relay, $83 with your old unit
    Fan relay, $77
    Blower relay, $72
    Head Light relay, $72
    Hot Start relay, $66
    Pair of window switch LED boards, $20, $25 installed, requires the new DMCH switches.
    Idle ECU, $138 with your old unit. I have 11 pin units also for $150 with your 9 pin unit returned.
    LED AC panel, $110. Your choice of blue or green backlighting.
    Front Relay Bank Ground Buss, $15. $10 if combined with another product.

Prices include shipping to lower 48 states
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/