FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Center Console Refit Issues

My VIN:    04955

Club(s):   (RMDG)

Center Console Refit Issues

I was in the final steps of reassembling my interior the other night by re-installing the center console when I ran into a fitting issue which I didn't expect. The part of the center console which surrounds the radio/vent/heater-control panel no longer fits tight and flush to the panel. It sticks out forward of the panel by at least 1/4". I tried so show the gap in the following image:

CenterConsoleRefit1.jpg

It looks to me like the dashboard position is preventing it from moving any farther forward. The top edge is as close to the dashboard as it can get. (See next image)

CenterConsoleRefit2.jpg

Yes -- I did have the dashboard out to re-dye it. I can only assume that I somehow do not have the dashboard pushed all the way forward. Now I've torn everything out again to loosen nuts securing the dashboard to the fiberglass mounting. I just can't see how it can move any further forward.

Has anyone run into this difficulty before? Is there a trick with getting the dashboard pushed fully forward? It presently looks like the defroster vents would not allow it move any closer to the windshield, but perhaps I'm missing something. (I didn't have the defroster out...)

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Luke

My VIN:    3937

Your console might be sitting up too high (tall). Hard to tell from the photos, perhaps take a couple additional photos and post here showing it a bit further zoomed out? (to give perspective on how the console sits relative to the binnacle, knee pads, radio bracket, etc.) The console is shaped with an angle as it meets the dash, so if the dash is in the right spot (assume for now), then the console needs to go down slightly to take advantage of the way its shape is cut to match.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Your console might be sitting up too high (tall). Hard to tell from the photos, perhaps take a couple additional photos and post here showing it a bit further zoomed out? (to give perspective on how the console sits relative to the binnacle, knee pads, radio bracket, etc.) The console is shaped with an angle as it meets the dash, so if the dash is in the right spot (assume for now), then the console needs to go down slightly to take advantage of the way its shape is cut to match.
    Jonathan,

Unfortunately, I've already torn it all apart again. I did just go out an take a couple more pictures of the just dash alignment in case this helps. One thing I've noticed is the indentations on the dash from previous time the dash & face plate were installed. You can see them in the pictures below. The face plate tabs in my current reassembly attempt don't extend into these old indentations. Something is different. I'll try to poke around with this more tonight.

CenterConsoleRefit3.jpg

CenterConsoleRefit5.jpg

My VIN:    3937

It does seem like the dash board needs to move a little bit. I've not had to take mine out (or put it back in) before so maybe someone else with experience doing so could chime in to help you?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by lsoasey View Post
    Jonathan,

Unfortunately, I've already torn it all apart again. I did just go out an take a couple more pictures of the just dash alignment in case this helps. One thing I've noticed is the indentations on the dash from previous time the dash & face plate were installed. You can see them in the pictures below. The face plate tabs in my current reassembly attempt don't extend into these old indentations. Something is different. I'll try to poke around with this more tonight.

CenterConsoleRefit3.jpg

CenterConsoleRefit5.jpg
    Did you remember to bolt down the bolts in the middle of the dash? (Dead Center, behind the vents.)
    It looks to me like the dash isn't sitting all the way down in the middle. I forgot to thread those nuts back on the last time I worked on my dash.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

It appears that the radio console plate is screwed at the top directly to the fiberglass. The factory used two approx. 1/4" shims to push the plate closer to the console panel on every car I've seen and yours appear to be missing. Just put two suitable shims on the top ears between the fiberglass and the radio plate and you're back in business. If there are shims under there they aren't long enough.
    Rob Grady
    Jonathan,

CenterConsoleRefit3.jpg

CenterConsoleRefit5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    It appears that the radio console plate is screwed at the top directly to the fiberglass. The factory used two approx. 1/4" shims to push the plate closer to the console panel on every car I've seen and yours appear to be missing. Just put two suitable shims on the top ears between the fiberglass and the radio plate and you're back in business. If there are shims under there they aren't long enough.
    Rob Grady
    Rob,

I am so glad that you said something about shims! I was already thinking about trying something like this after repeated (failed) attempts to get the dashboard to slide further forward. I've had the interior taken apart for a number of months now. Memory fades... I will admit that it it very possible that my car did have shims that I've forgotten about and misplaced. I'm sure I could probably come up with some reasonable replacement, but can you describe at all what the original ones look like? Do the shims, for example, span both mounting ears? Metal/Plastic? I'm going to sift through the odds and ends in my scattering of parts boxes to see if I can recover them.

-Luke

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

They are generally dark plastic spacers about 1/8" ID x 3/8" OD x 1/4" Thick. They were likely there when you took it apart hence the new alignment issue.
    With the advent of smartphones there's no reason not to take pictures of assemblies before you tear things down unless you have a photographic memory!
    Rob
    Rob,

I am so glad that you said something about shims! I was already thinking about trying something like this after repeated (failed) attempts to get the dashboard to slide further forward. I've had the interior taken apart for a number of months now. Memory fades... I will admit that it it very possible that my car did have shims that I've forgotten about and misplaced. I'm sure I could probably come up with some reasonable replacement, but can you describe at all what the original ones look like? Do the shims, for example, span both mounting ears? Metal/Plastic? I'm going to sift through the odds and ends in my scattering of parts boxes to see if I can recover them.

-Luke