FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone have stage iii? How long and how reliable?

My VIN:    1800

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    Kinda a bummer on the performance limits. I'm going from a like new 300 HP Z motor to a D (at some point this year) so I'm fearing that I'll feel like I'm changing from a spaceship to a D with granny-like acceleration.
    The first time I drove a DeLorean the performance surprised me. I read all the horror stories about how slow it was and how this and that would blow the doors off it. After driving it, I didn't actually think it was that bad. Don't get me wrong, it's still not a fast car by todays standards, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. I think everybody sees the supercar looking body and automatically assume it to be supercar fast. But it's not that bad. It handles great, especially with lowered suspension! I recently purchased a twin turbo car and it's a world of difference over stock. It's more fun to drive than my old Mustang GT and maybe even a tad bit faster (that's not saying much though ).
    Last edited by StainlessBullet; 02-19-2015 at 01:42 AM.
    Nathan D.

Current owner of #1800 - June '81, Black Interior, Manual, LS4 V8 swapped

Former owner of #3455 - Twin Turbo - Aug '81, Custom Interior, Manual

Former owner of #2923 - The "Cornfield" DeLorean - Aug '81, Black Interior, Automatic

Former owner of #5788 - Oct '81, Grey Interior, Manual

YouTube - "Going Broke Garage"

My VIN:    4608- sold 4885- current

I made mine loud with a new exhaust. That way I can pretend like its fast, and it grumbles enough at stoplights that I can give them the obligatory "Yep, its fast, but I'm not going to prove it to you" look.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    How kind of work was it to put your frankenmotor in? What is the potential for tweaking it's performance?
    Short answer? Don't. Don't pursue this line of inquiry. The person who made these modifications permanently ruined much of the car, and trying to deal with those modifications has left my car unusable more than once. The last problem led to a full motor teardown, and the car has not run since March 2012. I'm having a motorsports shop examine the remnants and see if it's salvageable with a total rebuild, but if it isn't I'm doing a non-PRV motor swap - it has proven impossible to work on or get assistance finding ways to make it work, and the fallout from my last attempt to do custom work for it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I didn't even LOOK at the car for a few months, and it ended up permanently altering my goals for the car.

That being said, on the rare occasions that it's running, it's a lot of fun, but you could do much better with less headache starting with a normal 3.0 even-fire motor. I would trade this thing for DMCH's stage II or a junkyard Eagle 3.0 in a heartbeat.

Stick to documented and tested mods and builds unless you're super adventurous. Do a 3.0 swap from an Eagle or mods from an established vendor if you want more power.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

I would love to do this and I'm sure that the price is what it takes but there would just not be away for that in the near future. Thanks Josh

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Doing it right is rather expensive. Base package is 300 ft lbs of torque at 9 pounds. Power levels go up from there.

Full package installed.

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/sp...o-intercooled/

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Doing it right is rather expensive. Base package is 300 ft lbs of torque at 9 pounds. Power levels go up from there. Attachment 33045Attachment 33046

Full package installed.

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/sp...o-intercooled/
    Stop teasing us with your engines, josh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2