FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 02 sensor issues!!! (Removal)

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    You can drive it with the O2 sensor out. It will be very noisy and the hot gasses coming out won't do things in the area much good, but a few miles should not hurt anything.

Someone who is good at heating all the nuts with a torch before even trying to loosen anything should be able to get the nuts off the crossover/manifolds/cat. They are all replaceable in-place although replacing the studs in the cat can be problematic as there is at least one of the studs that will not go into the cat flange from the back so would have to be replaced with hard-to-access nuts and bolts and may require some welding. If you run into that you'll want to remove the cat.

You should not have to remove the manifolds, but if you do you should have no reason to remove the heads, although drilling out broken head studs in place requires lots of dexterity, a right angle drill, and care to not drill through into the head. You will have this issue if you remove the manifold whether or not you replace everything, although I believe all of the aftermarket headers can use the opposite holes in the heads if needed.

It can be done without a lift. Depends on your dexterity and willingness to work on hot metal over your head while lying on your back.

If you have never done this sort of work before it's advisable to find someone who has. It's a bit of an art and people who only work on late model cars, or are lazy about rust work, won't get it.
    I'll try getting the crossover out myself first. Quick question though..... When using the torch, should I be heating the nut or stud? I'm guessing you would want the nut to expand with heat right?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Yup, recall my thread? When I started to remove the cat the bolts broke too. It's a risk.

If they aren't coming out when they're red hot I'm not sure what else can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah, I remember your thread for sure. I keep checking it to see if there are any updates.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Well.....heated up one of the four nuts holding on the cat till it was glowing red.....applied minimal pressure and....snapped bolt

Now that I know this is the way it's going to go I'm worried about the manifold studs that hold onto the crossover going the same way.....not good.....

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    I'll try getting the crossover out myself first. Quick question though..... When using the torch, should I be heating the nut or stud? I'm guessing you would want the nut to expand with heat right?
    Yes, the nut, bright red, but not all the way to white (melting point). Sometimes heating/cooling a couple times is good. Sometimes they will break anyway. Rust is a b**ch.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Alright.....update!

Every friggin bolt snapped except one. I have reserved myself to the fact that I an just going to update the whole system. I took everything out just short of the exhaust manifolds themselves. Now, I'm going to use oil penetrating on the manifold bolts everyday for about a week, but I'm guessing they will probably end up the same as all the others.

Is it correct to say that all aftermarket headers use the opposite holes in the engine to mount?

My VIN:    4608- sold 4885- current

Alright.....update!

Every friggin bolt snapped except one. I have reserved myself to the fact that I an just going to update the whole system. I took everything out just short of the exhaust manifolds themselves. Now, I'm going to use oil penetrating on the manifold bolts everyday for about a week, but I'm guessing they will probably end up the same as all the others.

Is it correct to say that all aftermarket headers use the opposite holes in the engine to mount?
    I used the freeze stuff for the manifold bolts and it worked beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by alexwolf1216 View Post
    I used the freeze stuff for the manifold bolts and it worked beautifully.
    Freeze stuff? Do tell.....

My VIN:    4608- sold 4885- current

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Ours (DMCH) does. You'll have to do some research on the others. "All" is a big word.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Update!

Though I was really nervous to start tackling the exhaust manifold removal after all of my other bad luck, I am pleased to report that I was able to take off the drivers side with only one stud breaking on me. Luckily there was enough stud left to grab onto to get it out!

One side down, one to go.....

Btw, who sells the stainless studs/nuts/crush washers?
    Last edited by Trstno1; 02-24-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast