FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Delorean plastic model kit?

My VIN:    2483

Delorean plastic model kit?

Is there a Delorean plastic model kit that is NOT BTTF?

Or, are any of the BTTF kits available able to make a stock looking car?

Here in the mid-west it is 1 degree out and my garage is soooo cold.
    Since I can not work on my real car, might as well find a little Delorean to build till the weather breaks.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

There was one, decades ago, but none that I am aware of that is currently commercially available.

Buy a Sunstar model and take it apart and then rebuild it

Or just do this:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?6754-Wooden-DMC-build
    Last edited by Dangermouse; 02-18-2015 at 09:52 AM.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

From time to time you may find some Lee Seiler's kit:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?96...ghlight=seiler

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I have a couple of NIB AMT Trilogy kits, which I think may be required to actually build the Seiler kit. I think I paid $75 for each back when there was absolutely nothing else available, not sure what the bring now that you can buy all the Sunstar/Welly etc. cars. I see a few listed online in that same price range.

The AMT trilogy kit is actually a 1/24 model kit that builds 3 cars, one from each movie.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4245

Club(s):   (DMA)

There was just the aftermarket resin kit which did require a time machine sacrifice. I yearn for a Tamiya quality kit of the DeLorean complete with opening everything and removeable chassis. Something like this:

http://www.johnspangler.com/models/d...delorean3.html

The AMT kit didn't originally arrive until BTTF2 and is identical to all of the Aoshima releases. Each version has the respective add ons depending on the configuration. Shopping tip, the Part I car still includes everything to build the Part II car. They all have the folding wheel mechanism included on the sprue. It's a great working feature. Not many cars at this scale have any working mechanisms.

There are numerous incarnations and bonus upgrades with recent releases. Once there was a prechromed body, and later character figures that were not very good. Now they all have "super-detail" photo etch included, which is a huge bonus and does include a DMC emblem.

Don't even bother with the Polar Lights versions unless you need a snap kit for a youngster. Different toolings with no working anything.

Lastly the Welly 1/24 DMC-12 comes with louvers and engine detail. And is begging for a redo.
    Last edited by PB Co; 02-18-2015 at 08:38 PM.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    From time to time you may find some Lee Seiler's kit:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?96...ghlight=seiler
    Boy that brings back memories... I remember all the legal threats going around with people who never received kits, nor their keys either. Lee was selling key blanks where he was buying after market keys, and then molding DMC heads to them made out of resin...which broke.

Back then, boy. Things were crazy. Lots of people hungry for memorabilia, and not enough to go around. Original BTTF posters skyrocketed in price, as did things like the paper license plate inserts too. There was a HUGE demand for the models since it was all we could get our hands on. Rather than create a waiting list, crank out a model, and then offer it for sale to the next person on the list, Lee just took the money upfront and failed to deliver on time (if at all according to some). I still don't know how many he sold total. After that he dropped out of the community. Of course it didn't help that he told people to be patient, and then just donated one as a giveaway @ DCS instead of fulfilling an order with it.

I can tell you this though: If you're looking for something 100% accurate, the Lee Seiler kits are NOT going to suit your need. Pretty much he took a BTTF kit from AMT and gutted it. The upper piece of the body had the holes for the flux dispersion coils, and other bits. What Lee did was take the shell and then fill in the holes and smooth it out. From there he'd create a mold of that piece. Next he took another shell, cut the doors out, and repeated the process but added custom underbody inserts for things like the trunk he then created from scratch. Then from the doors he cut out he then cut out the armrests and door panels from the AMT interior tub, glued them together, and created yet another mold piece. Same with the 3 custom hoods too.

Sounds good so far, right? Well, it wasn't. That is all the top half of the car. What Lee did then was buy up AMT kits and then stripped them. He'd toss out the BTTF shell, but take out the BTTF undercarriage, wheels, interior pieces, decals, etc. and put them all into his own boxes and resell as his own creation. How the hell he didn't get sued by AMT or someone else I'll never know. So you could go through all the trouble and effort to create the perfect DMC-12, but then you'd flip the thing over and it would have all of the hover pads and the lever to flip the thing into hover mode.

It wasn't what the original buyer thought it was, nor was it what I thought it would be either. I still have #88 though. It's one of my oddball DeLorean collectables with a strange history to it that I've kept.

In any case, if you're looking for a real challenge both in terms of customization and fabrication, it's right up your alley given the fact that the Lee Seiler kits are incomplete IMO. Make no mistake, it will not be a turnkey model. But if you'd like to create a custom chassis and maybe even track down a Volvo 760 & Lotus Esprit model kits to cut them and graft together a custom DMC-12 drivetrain, you'll love it. But otherwise, it'll only feel halfway done. At least that's how I feel, and is why I never put mine together.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

It took me six years to received my kit... (of course I paid it at the beginning, advertising into an old DW magazine)