FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Delorean Parts Suppliers

My VIN:    5873

Delorean Parts Suppliers

Hello all,

I am new to the delorean community and I recently purchased 5873. I am in the process of restoring it and was wondering where everyone gets there parts from? I know obviously delorean.com store. I also found delorean nw and pj grady. Is there anywhere else I should be looking? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by sccheech9 View Post
    Hello all,

I am new to the delorean community and I recently purchased 5873. I am in the process of restoring it and was wondering where everyone gets there parts from? I know obviously delorean.com store. I also found delorean nw and pj grady. Is there anywhere else I should be looking? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Aside from what you mentioned, DPI https://www.deloreanindustries.com/ I would also recommend.

You can also reach out to the DMC stores individually if you don't want to use delorean.com for your orders. DMCMW in Chicago is particularly active on this forum.

There are a couple of other vendors but none I would recommend.
    Jeff

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

There are also parts cross-over lists floating around. You'd be surprised what you can find at your local parts store in a pinch.

That being said, if I'm not in a hurry and can wait for shipping it's best to support the DeLorean affiliated shops. It keeps their doors open and Auto Zone has plenty of other customers.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I would also recommend that you do NOT buy parts or do business with "Special T Auto" aka "DeLorean Parts, Inc." or John Hervey.

Some will disagree. Many will agree. This is my opinion.
    - Chris

what

I saw the cross over list and the calipers peaked my interest. I'm wondering if anyone has had luck with the jaguar and the Mercury Capri calipers on there D

Delorean Parts Suppliers

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    I would also recommend that you do NOT buy parts or do business with "Special T Auto" aka "DeLorean Parts, Inc." or John Hervey.

Some will disagree. Many will agree. This is my opinion.
    Out of curiosity, why?

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sccheech9 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why?
    General bad business practices. He'll forget to ship you things, be extremely slow about shipping other things, bad mouth other vendors, be VERY antagonistic about any attempts at getting warranty service for his parts because "thousands of people use my products with zero issues so you must be doing something wrong," and other ridiculousness. In addition, many of the parts he stocks just aren't that great quality to begin with. Poorly-built bargain basement stuff.

Stick with doing business with DPI and any of the DMC franchises.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Where are you located?

May play a part in getting parts/advice/personal visits/tech sessions etc
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Where are you located?

May play a part in getting parts/advice/personal visits/tech sessions etc
    I'm in the orlando Florida area

My VIN:    3937

Develop a relationship with one or more of the vendors and stick with it. You may drop by and say hello to the guys at DMC FL (Bonita Springs) because it's the closest for you, or give them a call at least. Or pick another that isn't close by necessarily.

The DMC franchises, Florida, Midwest, Northwest, California, the European one and Houston itself generally pull off the same overall inventory of parts. Ordering through the website directly will place your order with Houston directly. Phoning one of the franchises directly will get your order placed directly with the franchise you called. You are getting the same parts at the same prices, but your level of service may change or it may not.

Everyone has their own opinion on that of course and you get to have one yourself too. I tend to like picking up the phone and speaking to a human being as it helps me feel better that things are done correctly. I will often figure out 90% of what I need on my own using the websites and then email my list to them and phone that person to follow up. That's just me and I like to do it that way. (plus getting to catch up over the phone with Julee helps me at times with things unrelated to our silly cars )

The franchises sometimes have their own selection of parts that may or may not be found on a website. Northwest has some neat items unique to their development, specifically the "Wings-B-Cool; Wings-A-Loft" sort of parts. So does Europe.

Another quality option for many is with Rob Grady at PJ Grady's and with Josh at DPI. You'll find many more unique and custom parts there, often developed in stainless for our cars. You can go the route of upgraded or improved parts for the cars, whether it's something in stainless or some electronics that were redesigned and improved or you can stick to the original, NOS sort of stuff. There is a place for all of it and it is up to the tastes, discretion and budget of the owner and his car.

You'll find others too, either locally or across the country. I too would rather support the DeLorean specific businesses and not just Auto Zone or Canadian Tire because if the DMC specific ones aren't there anymore, most of us aren't going to continue to be able to drive our cars.

If you're in Orlando, I would recommend calling Tony or whoever picks up the phone at DMCFL. Chat about the car a little bit and then perhaps you take it there at some point fairly early in your ownership. Having someone knowledgeable about the cars looking at yours to get you on the right track can end up saving you a lot of money and headache if it helps you avoid bigger problems you didn't even notice first time around.

I know Dave at Midwest has mentioned offering a "once over" of the car to put a list together of everything that needs attention. It's not meant to sound quick referring to it as a once over, because I understand you will get an absolutely exhaustive list of every area on the car with the corresponding price of parts and labour to make it right. Armed with that, you can decide what to do first and how to do it or who to get help from to fix it. I believe this service of getting a report on your car is about $300-$400 but I'm not sure about that exactly. Nor sure if other shops or franchises offer something similar either. If I was in your shoes and lived close by without a border between me and the service shop, I'd be doing that for sure.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast