FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Delorean Parts Suppliers

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Every vender has their shortcomings and bad days. Each is good for certain parts and you will quickly figure it all out. Don't let pricing be the only guide, service is also very important. If you buy at the auto store you have to be very careful if the cross/over part really will fit and work as it should. Every part the Delorean venders sell is tested because they use them to service the cars they work on so you KNOW it will work. In many cases they are actually cheaper too. If you place a large order the venders give discounts and you can save on shipping. Your first order should include filters and manuals. You can, of course, buy stuff like oil, tires, light bulbs and anti-freeze locally. The venders also sell "kits" of parts because they know what you will need to do just about anything on the car and the kit is priced lower than the individual parts.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5873

Wow, thanks guys, that's a lot of useful information. I started calling around looking for the left and right armrest with the panels and everyone I've talked to so far has been great! I haven't found one yet, but I will continue the search!

Thanks

General Delorean Parts Suppliers

I know a lot of people don't like him but I still believe you should at least check out John Hervey's website. It helped me a lot when I was just starting out with restoring my D. Personally, I've spent thousands of dollars buying parts from John and he's always been very helpful, a little tempermental at times but knowledgeable in helping me solve problems.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I know a lot of people don't like him but I still believe you should at least check out John Hervey's website. It helped me a lot when I was just starting out with restoring my D. Personally, I've spent thousands of dollars buying parts from John and he's always been very helpful, a little tempermental at times but knowledgeable in helping me solve problems.
    hello and welcome and yes dangermouse is right tech sessions helped me a lot a few years ago . Darren has great get togethers every year and was a lifesaver when I restored vin 3143. Special thanks go to Steve Rice and Josh at dpI for quality parts and experience. I just purchased my number 2 an automatic vin 6438 so I ll be calling Josh a lot lol. Good luck with your project.

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by sccheech9 View Post
    I saw the cross over list and the calipers peaked my interest. I'm wondering if anyone has had luck with the jaguar and the Mercury Capri calipers on there D
    I recall they seem to have a smaller calipers in them which will mean less breaking force. Best to stick with D calipers. If price is a concern, just get the rebuild kits many vendors offer and rebuild them yourself. I've never done it myself, bu the process appears simple enough.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    I recall they seem to have a smaller calipers in them which will mean less breaking force. Best to stick with D calipers. If price is a concern, just get the rebuild kits many vendors offer and rebuild them yourself. I've never done it myself, bu the process appears simple enough.
    The caliper bore is not a precision fit. In most cases it can be cleaned up enough with a brake hone and if you get fancy you blast the outside surfaces so you can paint it. Usually they leak because the piston has corroded and the plating is bad. You rebuild it by replacing the seals and the pistons. Sometimes you have to drill out a broken bleeder nipple. Unless the caliper is missing or cracked you shouldn't need to buy one. If you change the brake fluid every other year as recommended you won't have to rebuild them either. If you have a leaky caliper you should do them all AND the master cylinder. If you have a 5-speed you should also do the clutch cylinders.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2