FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: BTTF Time Machine Crash Model?

BTTF Time Machine Crash Model?

I'm looking for a model BTTF Time Machine that shows visible front end damage like what it got in Part 1 when it crashed into the movie theater. Maybe even missing a small section of the front end so it can be placed against a vertical surface. Looking to show it off at my upcoming wedding, "crashed" into one of the cakes

Does anyone know where to find anything like this? And if they don't make one, would anyone be willing to customize one for me (for a fee, of course, not expecting pro bono work here ). Expecting it to be a huge hit actually.

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Would be nicer to have a diorama made of it. With the actual movie theater and the whole 9 yards)

I would contact those guys on eBay who sell diorama diecast models. They have great skills with airbrush to crate shades and wear signs. Is there any screen shot that shows the time machine with those crash marks?
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    Would be nicer to have a diorama made of it. With the actual movie theater and the whole 9 yards)

I would contact those guys on eBay who sell diorama diecast models. They have great skills with airbrush to crate shades and wear signs. Is there any screen shot that shows the time machine with those crash marks?
    The more I think about it, the more I come to the realization that "painting" the damage on wouldn't be nearly as convincing as actual damage done to a model. The only problem is they don't build die-cast models to have real-world crash dynamics, so it would either have to be modeled after an actual crashed DeLorean, or somehow replicated in a very controlled (and probably complex) manner.

Actually, I just had a thought: do any of the die-cast models come with front fenders and hood that can be easily removed? I'm thinking I could remove them and carefully "simulate" the damage manually, then reattach them once done. This is, of course, if existing variants can't be found.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I'm looking for a model BTTF Time Machine that shows visible front end damage like what it got in Part 1 when it crashed into the movie theater. Maybe even missing a small section of the front end so it can be placed against a vertical surface. Looking to show it off at my upcoming wedding, "crashed" into one of the cakes
    For what its worth, if you're going for screen accuracy, I encourage you to watch that scene again. There is no visible damage to the car in that scene. Marty backs the car out of the movie theater, turns it around, drives toward the camera, stops, gets out, and rejoices that he still has time, then the car wont start. Plus, after the Libyans leave, Doc gives Marty a ride home in the DeLorean and then heads into the future. No damage is seen in any of the scenes.

Time Machine Crash 1.jpgTime Machine Crash 2.jpgTime Machine Crash 3.jpgTime Machine Crash 4.jpgTime Machine Crash 5.jpg

If screen accuracy isn't a big deal than certainly do whatever you like best. Still, since there is no actual damage to the car, its unlikely you'll find an off the shelf "damaged" version of the time machine. It's going to be a custom one-off or nothing. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    There is no visible damage to the car in that scene. Marty backs the car out of the movie theater, turns it around, drives toward the camera, stops, gets out, and rejoices that he still has time, then the car wont start.
    I completely forgot about that part. Thanks for the screenshots! Really need to watch it again.

Come to think of it, the time machine's body never really got damaged in any of the scenes (well, except for, you know). Looks like this will be a custom job after all. Now I just need to decide which die-cast variant gets sacrificed for the job...

Or just go for the original idea of making it look like it just arrived!!! With all the icing on it
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

A friend of mine here in Greece makes these

Looked at "the usual suspects" for the die-casts, but everyone was sold out (even BTTF.net!). MSRP: $100 for those. Checked eBay and found one with minor damage and a missing mirror for $35. Why reinvent the wheel, right? So I bought it, and it should arrive tomorrow. For that price, I can screw up royal and still come out ahead, so I'm going to see what I can make of it.

First step is disassembly of the front section as much as possible, then careful only-what's-needed reconstruction of the relevant parts.

By the way Alex, that Christine is amazing! If it weren't for my lateness in coming up with this idea, I'd probably get im touch with him to see if he can do it for me. That's an insane amount of detail!

This may be far easier than I thought...

20150228_165654.jpg

20150228_165735.jpg

20150228_170009.jpg

The body appears to be metal, so theoretically I could damage just that one part and reassemble as necessary. Hard to tell for certain if that'll work though. Will keep everyone posted, but I'm definitely thinking this is the way to do it.

Looking good! Keep going