FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: BTTF loopholes fixed

My VIN:    3004

Club(s):   (DCF)

BTTF loopholes fixed

Hey guys, I wanted to just let you know that I figured out a way to explain some of the small inconsistencies in the BTTF series. Bare with me, this can be a long one;

In reality BTTF1 was not planned as a sequel so there's a few inconsistencies from 1 to 2&3. The one issue I've always had a problem with the most is Marty's character flaw. Marty's a normal, average kid, in 1, but in 2 and 3 he's now got a character flaw where he can't stand being called a chicken and can't back down from a fight.

So, what if, instead of it being a inconsistency between the films, we wonder why Marty changes and if we use Aston Kutcher's movie, Butterfly Effect, it fills in the gap perfectly. In Butterfly Effect, every time he time travels his mind now has to sort of download all the new memories to catch up the new timeline. In BTTF2, the deleted scene of old Bif dissapearing could be inconsistent at first, but helps tie everything back together. It proves that for a slight window of time(like a delay), things change and update. So instead of there being alternate timelines, there's only one timeline in the BTTF series that keeps revising itself. This explains old Bif coming back with the Delorean before fading out, otherwise the current loophole is that old Bif goes back to 2015 with the Delorean, but Marty and Doc can't got back to 2015 and stop old Bif from stealing the D. If we stick with the movie's theory of alternate timelines, old Bif would not go back to the 2015 that Marty and Doc are in, but an alternate 2015 and old Bif and the Delorean would be fine, but Marty and doc would be stranded in 2015 without the Delorean because it's in an alternate timeline. By changing the theory to being one timelines this allows Bif to bring the Delorean back to 2015 before the window of changes closes. The window closing then can backup Doc's theory in 1985 that they can't go back to the 2015 that they knew.

Now, by closing this loophole we can finally get back to Marty's character flaw. What if it's part of the delay in timeline updating? Marty does not exhibit the flaw in BTTF1 because at the start of the movie his dad, George, doesn't stand up for anything, so Marty grows up learning to stand up all by himself. In 1955 he teaches his dad to stand up for himself. This alters 1985 but when Marty gets back there's a delay in his character, which isn't evident by the end of BTTF1(there's not much time in the film to show this effect anyways). Instead we only see the prominent changes to the timeline(George stand up to Bif, Bif is a coward, etc...) that updated while Marty is sleeping. It also could explain why Doc only focusing on fixing Marty's kids in the future and not Marty who's life never amounted to much after his car accident.

Getting back to the character flaw, in this updated timeline George has taught Marty to stand up for himself, probably at an early age, but his character is already defined to learn this, so what happens is as a child Marty goes from standing up to not backing down. And this update to Marty is a delayed effect that changes by the time he gets to the cafe 80's.

Further evidence of the timeline update delay is in Marty's picture of the siblings in BTTF1. The siblings don't erase immediately. It's takes a while for them to be erased(almost the whole movie, hypothetically because this is the first time the timeline has ever been altered).

Sorry to take up your times. Hope you enjoyed this.

My VIN:    6585

The theoretical aspects of BTTF have always been as fascinating as they have been fun to play with. The quick and dirty answer of course would be the truth that it's just a movie, and things are merely done for effect to benefit the story. For instance we could debate how in the world was it possible for the DeLorean to have died, and then suddenly have restarted when Marty hits his head on the steering wheel. We might debate that it was a faulty inertia switch for example. But then what of the 95mph speedometer that never, ever existed in real life? Where on earth did Doc Brown get that from? It couldn't possibly be an OEM part as none existed. Did he have one fabricated specifically for his car? Why bother if he already had a digital speedometer? The answer is of course merely it's just a movie.

However, here is something else to perhaps consider. That would be the ideas of multiple universes. Consider in BTTF2 when Doc is explaining how old Biff went sometime into the past and gave his younger self the sports almanac. Doc describes that as causing a new tangent that the universe has been diverted into, creating the alternate 1985. What we don't consider however is that from the very start of Marty's temporal arrival in 1955, he's created a brand new tangent in itself. Which of course is where he has the alternate family, cars, remodeled house, etc. In fact, that is the very FIRST alternate 1985. BTTF2 merely shows a 3rd tangent.

So here is what I'm getting at. What if instead of the theory that Marty is getting a dump of alternate memories populating in his head, he instead erases and replaces his prior self? George McFly being confident raises his son to be honest, forthright, and to stand up for himself. We'd like to think that, but it's probably not the case. But more on that later. This would be 1985-B Marty. 1985-B Marty is seen finally at the end of BTTF1 when he goes back in time, and then we end up with 1985-A Marty coming through and taking his place. Because what if 1985-B Marty goes back and then ceases to exist and just fades into nothing like old Biff does? The next morning, Doc thinks that he's taking 1985-B Marty to 2015, but in reality it's 1985-A. And then adventures ensue with the final climax being the drag race between Needles and Marty.

1985-B Marty is a brat that gets away with anything. Starting with setting the carpet on fire. Plus he's the youngest that gets dotted on the most. Which is why the rest of his family has to share a single BMW, yet Marty gets his own damn truck! Seriously. What the hell is up with that? Anyway, he gets into the accident, and then grows up to be a sleaze ball. Can't think for himself, Needles is always scamming him, get's his ass fired, and raises looser-ass kids that are worse than him. At least a son anyways. The continuing story I believe is that Marlene McFly gets arrested trying to bust Marty Jr. out of jail, commits suicide, and I think that Jennifer wanted to divorce Marty as well. Anyhow, that's all because of 1985-B Marty McFly. 1985-A takes his place. He's been raised tougher than is counterpart, and indeed does allot of growing up. 1985-A isn't afraid of a challenge, but also isn't afraid to walk away. So when it comes time to the drag race with Needles, he does the j-turn and bows out of the race. Why? Did he learn his lesson? I would say no. I don't think that 1985-B would have been able to decline. Hence as well why we have all this "Nobody calls me chicken!" theme starting in BTTF2. No, only 1985-A could decline because he's a totally different young man.

I would not say that Marty's adventures changed him so much as I would that he was able to transcend parallel timelines. And that his true destiny wasn't merely to avoid participating in a drag race that led to a crash, physical mauling, and financial repercussions because of the old man in the Rolls Royce. No, it was to leave 1985-A to go to 1985-B, which in his presence then creates 1985-D (C would of course be the bad future with Biff in charge), and THAT is the true direction of the universe. Doc is wrong when he says that November 12, 1955 is the "temporal junction point for the entire space-time continuum." It's actually October 26, 1985. That is when the new, proper tangent is created by the replacement of people multiple times over as well as the creation of a new future timeline, and why when Doc takes the locomotive to 1985, he arrives in that one instead of any of the other ones.

At least that's my theory of the whole thing.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    6679

And people say us Star Trek fans over analyse and think things
    Chris