FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel exhaust studs

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Is this a trick question? You can't anodize stainless steel. I believe that process is for aluminum only.
    Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    What about anodized stainless nuts on stainless studs? Would that help prevent heat-induced corrosion-welding?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Is this a trick question? You can't anodize stainless steel. I believe that process is for aluminum only.
    Rob
    Not a trick question, just me using the wrong word. I meant to say oxidized, not anodized. Sorry!

The reason I ask is because I've used black oxide stainless hardware in different situations, but none where heat was a factor.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

I was just kidding with you! I routinely use black oxide plating on my stainless screw kits etc. for color match reasons but I don't think it adds much in the way of protection. However the passivation process used to prep it for plating may have an affect on it's anticorrosion properties. That's a question for my plater and I need to pay him a visit anyway so I'll get back to you with his advice. If he says it's beneficial then he'll be getting a bunch of stainless studs and nuts to plate. Only problem with that is that people may not believe the stuff is stainless after that!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Not a trick question, just me using the wrong word. I meant to say oxidized, not anodized. Sorry!

The reason I ask is because I've used black oxide stainless hardware in different situations, but none where heat was a factor.

My VIN:    02613

Thanks, Rob!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    If you go with stainless on stainless you must use a product called tefgel on the threads to avoid galvanic action from the heat.
    Hey Rob, is the Permatex stuff ok to use with the stainless on stainless application? I'm not sure where to get tefgel.

Attached Images
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    6125

The Permatex stuff looks like it will work...I have used their copper anti-seize paste that comes in a similar container and I can say that it's good stuff to use when electrical conductivity matters.

Tef Gel is available on Amazon and I recommend it as well. I use it on stainless fasteners and on other applications with dissimilar metals. A little bit goes a long way and really great stuff. At my job we also use Tef Gel on our independent front suspensions on splines and other mating surfaces to prevent parts from corroding and locking together.

http://www.amazon.com/Tef-Gel-TG-02-...ywords=tef+gel

Cool! Thanks Mark!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Hey Rob, is the Permatex stuff ok to use with the stainless on stainless application? I'm not sure where to get tefgel.

Tefgel is preferred but since you just ordered the stainless kit I'll be happy to precoat the studs for you. I'm passing this on to the list since you asked me the question directly. Thanx again.
    Rob

^And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what you call excellent customer service. This is but one of the reasons you are so highly regarded in the DMC community. Thanks Rob!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    ^And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what you call excellent customer service. This is but one of the reasons you are so highly regarded in the DMC community. Thanks Rob!
    Thank you for the order and the compliment Brandon. What my website lacks in ease of ordering I try to make up for with the best engineered and highest quality products in everything we sell. I will be adding personnel ASAP to help with all of the increasingly complicated facets of this business of making parts for and repairing/rebuilding Deloreans. When I do that the inclusion of much more of our rather vast inventory will be a top priority.
    In the meantime please don't be bashful about making inquiries via email, through the website, PMing on the forums, or the old fashioned but highly effective telephone.
    Rob

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast