FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel exhaust studs

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

One last question:

What should I use to actually remove the studs? I have seen the double-nut method and even looked into a stud extractor. I have read that vice grips aren't a good choice. What is the preferred way on a DeLorean?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    One last question:

What should I use to actually remove the studs? I have seen the double-nut method and even looked into a stud extractor. I have read that vice grips aren't a good choice. What is the preferred way on a DeLorean?
    The best tool is a dedicated 7mm stud extractor as it grips the best and can fit in tight places. They cost a bit but will save you a lot of grief if you want to do the job right. There is an Assenmacher #200-7 7mm extracter on amazon for about $38- & $8- shipping that will make you feel like a pro when doing this job.
    Rob

Thanks again, Rob!

I actually found it on AutoToolWorld.com for $27 shipped.

Here's a link for anyone who's interested:
    http://www.autotoolworld.com/Assenma..._p_125792.html
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    4519

"Assenmacher" -lol

Wie heissen das?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Thanks again, Rob!

I actually found it on AutoToolWorld.com for $27 shipped.

Here's a link for anyone who's interested:
    http://www.autotoolworld.com/Assenma..._p_125792.html
    Thanks for the link. I bought one too. It will be Nice having the right tool for the next time I do that job.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    6125

You guys are making this sound way too easy. You're supposed to say removing the exhaust studs are an impossibly hard task so I'm not tempted to buy a SPEC 1 exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    You guys are making this sound way too easy. You're supposed to say removing the exhaust studs are an impossibly hard task so I'm not tempted to buy a SPEC 1 exhaust.
    Difficulty would be relative to the number of and or location of existing broken studs.

I have a friend that has 2 broken studs (empty holes) in the RH manifold. One rear with easy access. One all the way forward (PITA access) but doable.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I just remembered the O2 sensor will need replacement. Is there a cross reference part, or does everyone just grab one from a vendor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Difficulty would be relative to the number of and or location of existing broken studs.

I have a friend that has 2 broken studs (empty holes) in the RH manifold. One rear with easy access. One all the way forward (PITA access) but doable.
    I've time-serted broken studs in every location over the years without ever having to R&R a motor for access. It is entirely doable with the correct tools and experience.
    Rob

Stainless steel exhaust studs

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I've time-serted broken studs in every location over the years without ever having to R&R a motor for access. It is entirely doable with the correct tools and experience.
    Rob
    I've had the experience of removing the forward most broken stud on each side. Definitely doable with some forethought. I made a drill jig guide and bolted it up to the head using opposite corner threaded holes in the head. I bought a 90 deg air drill A couple short extractor sized drill bits. I was a bit fortunate that the flush broken piece was not frozen tight to the head. They backed out remarkably easy. I did not need to do any thread repairs.
    DENNIS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast