FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any other New England owers still around

My VIN:    1710

Any other New England owers still around

This is my first post. I was just wondering if there was any else in the Mass/NH area.
    I just bought my car last fall and I know I used to see a DeLorean around Manchester, NH.
    The Delorean Club of New England site has been coming soon since before I took the plunge.
    Am I alone?

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Quote Originally Posted by Inkymon View Post
    This is my first post. I was just wondering if there was any else in the Mass/NH area.
    I just bought my car last fall and I know I used to see a DeLorean around Manchester, NH.
    The Delorean Club of New England site has been coming soon since before I took the plunge.
    Am I alone?
    You're not alone. There's North East Region DeLoreans, which is about 2 years old. We have roughly monthly events, with the first one of the year on April 29th in Rowley, MA. I'm the southernmost member in Sharon, MA. Most of the members are in the northern MA/southern NH area, but there are a few in Maine and eastern MA as well. There are a couple dozen of us.

-- Joe
    Last edited by jangell; 04-18-2023 at 03:11 PM.

My VIN:    7012

I would love to hear how you are enjoying having the cars in this area. (I am near the NH/MA border as well)

I am looking into a DeLorean as a mostly daily-driver for myself, but over the course of this past winter there were only a handful of days between December 1 and April 1 that I felt I could really enjoy a drive without constantly thinking of all of the salt and water getting in every little epoxy crack.

Thankfully I only drive to work about 6 days per month, and I have a little flexibility on those days so I can try to avoid the rainy ones, and my wife and soon-to-be-16-year-old () will have cars I can borrow on a rainy day for errands.

But ultimately I only want to take the plunge into ownership if it's fairly close to a daily driver. So just figured I'd ask what your experiences are like.

I drive mine in winter as long as it's not too snowy on the roads (a combination of ground clearance and the ease of spinning it out due to the weight distribution), but most people tend to keep them off the road until spring. I'm just willing to do the repairs that might come up from driving on salty roads. I've had the car for 20 years and had to do a patch here and there, but the frame's still good. I do drive it a fair bit, a few times a week, but I work from home so it's not like it's going on daily commutes or anything.

I can't speak to the other owners. I think one uses it as a daily driver for commutes when possible, but we all have "practical" cars for when we need them.

I consider mine a daily driver, but since I don't actually drive daily it's hard to say how accurate that is.

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    I drive mine in winter as long as it's not too snowy on the roads (a combination of ground clearance and the ease of spinning it out due to the weight distribution), but most people tend to keep them off the road until spring. I'm just willing to do the repairs that might come up from driving on salty roads. I've had the car for 20 years and had to do a patch here and there, but the frame's still good. I do drive it a fair bit, a few times a week, but I work from home so it's not like it's going on daily commutes or anything.

I can't speak to the other owners. I think one uses it as a daily driver for commutes when possible, but we all have "practical" cars for when we need them.

I consider mine a daily driver, but since I don't actually drive daily it's hard to say how accurate that is.

-- Joe
    That's great, that's exactly what I wanted to hear about, thanks for sharing!

I would certainly keep it out of the snow, for safety reasons if nothing else. But it sounds like I'd be relying on it as a practical car a bit more than you have. Food for thought. Glad you're able to take it out and about and enjoy it in this area!

Just be aware that I have done a lot of work on my car. It’s still 40 years old and things are going to break and need to be maintained. You also don’t have modern safety features and conveniences like antilock brakes, traction control, lane keeping, pre-collision warnings, a backup camera or sensors, that kind of thing. I also have a Mustang Mach-E with their advanced hands-free cruise control package, and it’s a very different driving experience -- you have to pay a lot more attention in the DeLorean, which I’ll sort of forget if I’ve had the car off the road for a while.

But if you’re used to driving cars that were made at least 10 years ago, you shouldn’t have much of a problem.

-- Joe

Hah, I drive a 17-year-old Corolla right now, so I have only experienced those features in rental cars.

I've never driven a rear wheel drive car, nor one without power steering, so those would be new to me. I plan on getting an automatic as well, so I don't have to worry about getting accustomed to shifting in a car.

I am looking into a Hyundai Ioniq 5 as well; pretty similar to the Mach E, I think. I will likely buy one family car and one "fun" car in the next threee years or so. Not 100% sure which I will do first... it would be more practical to go with the Hyundai, but it feels dumb to buy new when prices are still so high and when Hyundais don't quality for the EV tax credits.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    You're not alone. There's North East Region DeLoreans, which is about 2 years old. We have roughly monthly events, with the first one of the year on April 29th in Rowley, MA. I'm the southernmost member in Sharon, MA. Most of the members are in the northern MA/southern NH area, but there are a few in Maine and eastern MA as well. There are a couple dozen of us.

-- Joe
    Thanks! You would have any contact info for the group would you? I've love to get together with other owners.

Thanks,

Julie

My VIN:    4328

Hey there! I'm up here in northeastern ,ma . I drive mine almost daily, not as a commuter car as I work in Boston, but as my fun car once I get home. I also attend a few car shows a week. I share em on Facebook when the come up. I'm Jason Keohane on Facebook. I've had my car a few years now. I'm also the one in the group that did a Time Machine conversion cause ya know, kids. Hope to see ya around!
    20230321_162038.jpg
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Inkymon View Post
    Thanks! You would have any contact info for the group would you? I've love to get together with other owners.
    No problem -- I sent you a private message with the info a few days ago. There's no good public-facing thing for the club, and I didn't want to publish contact info publicly.

If anyone else wants is interested, let me know.

-- Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast