FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gas-flap hood wanted

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Hey Josh it looks like all of us are taking it deep on this thread
    Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    Dave, When it comes too parts that I need for my car too Run, You're the first place I call.

George

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Oh its a bit harder than you think! I saw the Mighty Chris Nicholson knacker one or two before he got it down and I've seen no one else pull it off since. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. IT IS DIFFICULT!
    Anyone who would trade a flapped hood "even steven" (even Stephen?) for a flat hood also would buy swamp land in Florida to build on.
    It's like trading your diamonds for rhinestones because you like their sparkle better. That's fine but does it really make economic sense?
    I'm sure it's difficult, but it has been done (multiple times at the factory even...lol!)

-I wouldn't expect anyone take an even trade for a flat hood either. I'd trade + $ with someone who might have a flat hood preference. (I guess I should update my signature!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I might make a non-grooved gas-flap hood. As soon as I meet with someone who has a gas-flap, I'm going to get all the necessary dimensions & info.

From a distance, it sure doesn't look like it'll be too difficult.
    Have you met with that someone yet? Have gas flap, will measure Just let me know what dimensions you need exactly and I'll send them your way.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I'm sure it's difficult, but it has been done (multiple times at the factory even...lol!)
    Just practice on a blank sheet of 304 stainless the same thickness.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    891, 1045

I agree with Dave. If you want I have a damaged hood I'll sell for $50 that you can practice on. If you only want 1/4 of the hood to save on shipping I can cut it up too.

I still have my good gas flap hood for anyone interested in one as well.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

I have the flap, no hood. 😀 does that count?

My VIN:    16811

Gas-flap hood wanted

I just witnessed Bob Brandy's in Vegas knock out 2 of these last weekend on his time machine and electric D. If you have any decent experience cutting sheet metal this really isn't that hard to do. If anyone has a flap to donate, I'll do my 83 flat hood and make an instructional video.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash66 View Post
    I just witnessed Bob Brandy's in Vegas knock out 2 of these last weekend on his time machine and electric D. If you have any decent experience cutting sheet metal this really isn't that hard to do. If anyone has a flap to donate, I'll do my 83 flat hood and make an instructional video.
    Correct me if I wrong here, but the entire problem is that there aren't enough flaps to go around. It's one thing to cut a hole in the sheet metal in a flap-ish shape, but it's quite another to do so and retain both pieces from an otherwise non-flapped hood without using any donor parts. That's where the problem lies.

(Although look one post above yours for an available flap -- first and only offer I've seen in the thread thus far)

My VIN:    03572

The cut would not be the problem. It would be the folding of the metal so you don't have the sharp edges. I guess you could do it without the folding. The flap could just be made from new 304 stainless sheet.

Does the factory hood have folds on the hood metal?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The cut would not be the problem. It would be the folding of the metal so you don't have the sharp edges. I guess you could do it without the folding. The flap could just be made from new 304 stainless sheet.

Does the factory hood have folds on the hood metal?
    Thanks for the info Dave! There are folds on both the hood and flap, yes.

There seems to be renewed interest in this, so I'll take pictures of my gas flap and upload them today for everyone.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast