FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Gas-flap hood wanted

Excuse the water -- had her out in the rain for a bit while the garage was occupied with plumbing equipment (damn 50-year-old shower stalls leaking into the basement...)

[Link to full-size]

[Link to full-size]

[Link to full-size]

[Link to full-size]

[Link to full-size]

[Link to full-size]

[Link to full-size]

[Link to full-size]

Side note: it's fascinating how precise their measurements are. 12" over from the driver's side of the hood, 7" down from where that intersects to the hinge, 5" across to the other side, then back up to the top. I was expecting very haphazard measurements with fractions, but evidently that's not the case.

If anyone needs additional (or even just more precise) measurements, let me know and I can take them with my calipers.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

The factory personnel did not modify the hoods to use a flap. They came pre-stamped from the sheetmetal supplier. The difficulty is not making the cuts but the additional bending. shaping, and TIG welding neccessary for the proper strenght and appearance.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I'm sure it's difficult, but it has been done (multiple times at the factory even...lol!)

-I wouldn't expect anyone take an even trade for a flat hood either. I'd trade + $ with someone who might have a flat hood preference. (I guess I should update my signature!)

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Are you saying that Bob did his own (two) hood flap installations last weekend and they look like NOS factory? If so could we see some pictures?
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Flash66 View Post
    I just witnessed Bob Brandy's in Vegas knock out 2 of these last weekend on his time machine and electric D. If you have any decent experience cutting sheet metal this really isn't that hard to do. If anyone has a flap to donate, I'll do my 83 flat hood and make an instructional video.

My VIN:    03572

After seeing those close up photos....Don't think I would attempt to make a flap hood. I forgot about the curve on the hood which really complicates the bends.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16811

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Are you saying that Bob did his own (two) hood flap installations last weekend and they look like NOS factory? If so could we see some pictures?
    Rob
    He did. I'll snap some photos when I see him in a few days. He used genuine flaps but did fold the metal on the hood and looks good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4