FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bob Brandy's fullsize windows

My VIN:    1569

Club(s):   (DOI)

Hi Bob,
    I am impressed with the engineering that would have went into developing this but I have questions over the durability of the lexan.
    I work with Lexan (guarding around assembly machines) and it scratches VERY easily. Paper towel even scratches lexan.
    Constantly raising and lowering the lexan through the window seals would concern me as well as even washing the windows. I think that they would be scratched up in under a year with regular use.
    How have they been holding up on your own car?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    The full size windows are made of Lexan. Consequently, they weight significantly less than the glass windows.

The full size window weight 10 lbs less than the stock glass ones.

That is a 20 lbs savings for the total car-both doors.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

i own a jeep wrangler, and the soft top vinyl windows scratch easily as well. i use Novus plastic polish to buff out any scratches and to remove oxidation. if you take care of them, plastic windows dont have to get ugly!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Banned

Can optical grade acrylic be shaped like Lexan? It is hundreds of times more scratch resistant.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I'd think popping for something with a UV coating would last longer too - less yellowing and clouding.

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Smile

Bill,

The window are made by ProGlass. They make the plastic windshields for race cars. (NASCAR). The windows are made of the same material so it is very tough and scratch resistant.

Bob

Tom,

I believe the ProGlass has the UV resistant inhibitors. The windows have not yellowed in over 14 years. Gees, I can't believe it has been that long!

Kenny,

We have been very pleased with the durability of the windows. According to ProGlass, this is special polycarbonate that has a silica or silicone coating that is baked into the surface to make it scratch resistant for NASCAR Racing.

All,

I need used original delorean power window motors with the lower drive sections. Don't need to tubing that usually gets bent - only the spring cable and clamp at the top.
    We use parts from these, BUT have a much stronger set up that can't bend.

Many people have replaced these old bent units, with the new aftermarket upgrades. I still need the older units because they have a 5/16s drive cable rather than the 3/8 drive cable.

Bob

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Can optical grade acrylic be shaped like Lexan? It is hundreds of times more scratch resistant.

Bill Robertson
    All aircraft use lexan or other plastic. Even after years of blowing sand on it from the prop wash it holds up well. The weight savings and stronger for bird strikes require no use of glass.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

Hi Bob,

What kind of timeline are you thinking of for getting this to market?

Are you planning on offering a kit for both windows?

How much do you envisage the kit costing - even approximately?

Any chance you could upload some more pictures? If you could, I'd love to see a shot taken from the passenger seat looking across at the drivers window, with the door closed and someone sitting in the drivers seat - to get a sense of how the new window opening is positioned relative to your head position. Is it comfortable to put your elbow out the window while driving or is the opening too far forwards to do this comfortably?

Lastly, before you went down the lexan route, did you ever consider looking at cutting down a glass section from another car to make the 3 pieces required for your conversion? Maybe there is a car window out there with the same radius curve as the stock DMC window... and this window could be cut into 3 pieces and beveled at the edges...

Thanks!
    John

My VIN:    #4222

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Bumping this thread. Would like to see some cost estimates on this and if any progress on the kit has been made. I grew up not having AC in any of the family vehicles and very much prefer the windows down to feel the breeze, even in the dead of Phoenix summers.

-Kris

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by bunni View Post
    I ... very much prefer the windows down to feel the breeze, even in the dead of Phoenix summers.

-Kris
    How many pounds do you lose per mile of driving that way? I know its a dry heat, but...

My VIN:    #4222

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

<OT>Never actually measured The worst part was going from PHX to Palm Springs CA, mid-summer, mid-day/evening, in a Civic that had no AC, with a failing radiator. I had to blast the heat on full in addition to having the windows down to prevent the car from overheating. It was like being in a furnace and the only way to cool off was a blowdryer in the face.</OT>

Back on topic, I am really excited for this and hope the kit is available on both driver and passenger sides. Awaiting more info!

-Kris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3